“Great game, appalling Staff!”
Review of Topgolf Watford

Topgolf Watford
Ranked #1 of 10 Fun & Games in Watford
More attraction details
Owner description: Topgolf is the premier golf entertainment complex where the competition of sport meets your favourite local bar. You can challenge your friends and family to addictive point-scoring golf games that anyone from the hopeful pro golfer to your neighbour's 7-year-old can play all year-round. Just picture a 240-yard outfield with dartboard-like targets in the ground. The closer to the centre or "bull's-eye" you get and the further you hit your microchipped balls, the more points you get. Score even bigger with Topgolf's extensive food and drink menu that is sure to impress even the pickiest foodies. It's not golf - it's Topgolf.
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Myself and my girlfriend visited on Saturday the 9th of August and got there around 11 as a friend of ours told us it gets very busy. We were told it would be an hour wait which was ok and we then went to get food. This is where our experience took abit of a turn, we were sitting for 25minutes before we eventually got seen to after I had to walk to the bar to ask if anyone was serving,There were only 4 other tables occupied so I couldn't understand the massive delay. The food then came out 5-10minutes later, it was ok but not great for the price of it. We were then ignored for a further 20 or so minutes before I walked up and asked for the bill ( all the while, 4/5 members of staff were all congregated at the bar talking rather than serving/attending to customers). The game itself was great when we eventually got around to it, but my god the staff were so below par.
I would happily go back if I knew there would be a change of staff as they almost spoiled the day.

1  Thank niall_mcmahon9
Claire A, Guest Relations Manager at Topgolf Watford, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Niall,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to Topgolf. I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed in our service. We always appreciate both positive and negative comments, which assist us in focussing our staff training.

We do not always have a designated table host on shift, however I appreciate this is not always obvious and something we will seek to address and although our associates have to go to the bar area to collect drinks for bay/table service, I can only apologise that your own service was not to the standard we would expect.

We would love you to come and experience our great game and endeavour to ensure that your next experience is even more enjoyable.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Golf games were good but only good value if you get the early bird special (half price games until 11am) otherwise not worth it. Adventure golf outside well worth a play. Staff were frustrating (unfortunately, annoying might be a better way of putting it): talking and laughing amongst themselves in the middle of transactions.

2  Thank Nathan M

Dear Nathan,

Thank you for your recent review. We are glad that you enjoyed both Topgolf & Adventure Golf. I'm sorry that your were left frustrated and disappointed by the service you received from our associates.

Topgolf thrives on its fun & friendly atmosphere and it is something we like to encourage our associates to do too, however, this should never distract them from serving our guests. Therefore I can only apologise for you the service received.

We appreciate you taking the time to comment and ensure that all feedback is taken on board and assists us in our staff training programme.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I've been here a few times and the title of my review has been a bit of recurring theme, I guess part of it boils down to complacency as the place is always busy due to lack of any similar competitors.

However my experience on our latest visit made me feel compelled to write a review. We arrived at 10.45 and were informed there was a wait of an hour. However within a few minutes, we noticed there were a number of empty bays, I spoke to one of the bay hosts who confirmed they weren't reserved and suggested that we spoke to the staff at the front if we didn't mind a downstairs bay.

I then approached the staff at the front and asked her to check if we could have one of the free bays, she then said she would check and didn't appear to do anything further. I then approached her a further 2 times pointing out free bays! Eventually, an hour after we arrived, we were allocated a bay which I could see had been free since we had arrived...

This was incredibly annoying as it meant we had to really rush to fit our games in before closing time. As always, the game itself and facilities were great, it was just so annoying having to deal with such incompetence.

I can understand that the venue is popular and there is often a wait, I don't have an issue with that, what bugged me was the sheer incompetence and indifference that I experienced. As a waiting customer, it was galling to be waiting around when there were clearly bays not in use and which clearly had not been allocated to anybody as they remained not in use.

As mentioned above, we were eventually allocated one such bay!

Reading through other reviews, it would appear that the attitude of staff is a bit of recurring theme.

3  Thank h_kanLondon
Claire A, Guest Relations Manager at Topgolf Watford, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear h_kanLondon,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience to Topgolf Watford.
As you mentioned we are a popular venue and do experience issues with the bay turnover. We are currently in the process of trialling a new automated Bay Booking procedure to speed up the allocation of the bays, as we do understand how frustrating it is for our guests to see empty bays with no-one playing in them.
Please rest assured that your comments will be discussed at our next Associate meeting, as the behaviour of our team is paramount to the continuing success of Topgolf.
Thank you for taking the time to communicate your feedback.
Best Wishes,

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I had never been to Top Golf before but had heard great things about it, so decided with good friends to come here (Watford) for my birthday. What was meant to be a fantastic evening got RUINED by the utterly RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL "staff/security" we were unaware that we needed I.D after 7pm (we arrived at 8pm) upon arrival 2 out of the 4 of us had I.D and showed it to the security guard, he proceeded to call his manager and "ask" if it was okay to let us in.. The "manager/bouncer" came to the door and looked plain faced at myself and asked are you going to leave them (my friends) outside?" He continued to ask ridiculous questions being completely disrespectful in a VERY sarcastic manner- until I had to ask him "are you actually joking me" he shrugged. We all look over 18 and if they had such a strict policy in place already they shouldn't have felt the need to patronise and humiliate us in front of other customers. Absolutely disgusting behaviour. I will NEVER come to or reccomend Top Golf Watford to anyone!!

If you are not Caucasian or Asian I would stay AWAY from Top Golf WATFORD!!

On the flip side I went to the Surrey one- EXCELLENT

4  Thank _MixedMadness_

Dear MixedMadness,
Thank you for your review.
Please see my response to Catherine T's Review, as it would seem you were in the same group of friends who visited on that evening.
Best wishes,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have been topgolf before and wanted to share the experience with my boyfriend and friends for my best friends birthday. When we arrived after 8pm on Friday we were asked for ID i produced mine and so did my boyfriend. My two friends didnt have ID. The bouncer called his manager bouncer and we were subjected to ridiculous questions such as "are we (my boyfriend and I) going to leave our friends outside while we went in?" The bouncers were rude and i'm sure discriminatory against my black friend. All of us look over 18 and yet they still felt the need to humiliate us by patronising us and making us feel belittled on a day which was supposed to be my friends birthday. I will NEVER come again!! It wasn't a pleasant experience AT ALL and we had to make a round trip to the topgolf in surrey (where i had my 1st experience) where they are very pleasant and welcoming.

STAY AWAY FROM TOPGOLF WATFORD. Especially if you are of a race that isn't Asian or white. BE AWARE!!

2  Thank Catherine T
Claire A, Guest Relations Manager at Topgolf Watford, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Catherine,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments concerning your recent visit to Topgolf Watford.
We do operate a strict Challenge 25 Policy on Friday and Saturday nights and ID is requested before admittance to the Centre from any guest if they look under age. This requirement is compulsory to keep us in line with the terms and conditions of our late licence policy.
Additionally, Topgolf Watford have ethical responsibilities to adhere to such as the Equality Act 2010 which means we treat everyone fairly otherwise we would not be operating within the confines of the law.
We use a security company, whose employees are all members of the SIA (Security Industry Authority), however our General Manager will speak to them to discuss how you and your friends feel you were treated.
Despite this, we are pleased however to hear you all had an enjoyable time at Topgolf Surrey.
Best wishes,