“Appalling sound quality”
Review of Watford Colosseum

Watford Colosseum
Ranked #5 of 36 things to do in Watford
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The sound quality of this venue is abysmal. It was before the refurbishment and it still is now. Went after its refurbishment and had to strain to hear the indistinct garbling of the comedian on the stage. I went back recently to see a Simon and Garfunkel tribute act and it took them an hour of performance before the sound was sorted. I don’t know if they use in-house sound crew (who frankly should know better) or if each act brings its own crew! The only exception has been Jools Holland who probably has the money to bring a professional sound crew with him. It’s high time the Colosseum warned all its acts about the appalling sound quality of the building and to make sure that appropriate action is taken before each performance starts. Only venue where I have ever had this trouble and it’s such a shame as it’s so close to me. Best avoided unless going to see Jools Holland.

2  Thank Jane M
WfordColosseum, Front of House Manager at Watford Colosseum, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

I am saddened to hear that your recent visit to the Watford Colosseum did not live up to your expectations.

At the Colosseum we take pride in having one of the best venues in Europe for acoustics. We regularly have orchestras from all over the world use our auditorium for recording or rehearsing purposes.

I am sorry that your experience for Simon and Garfunkel was not as expected; the sound on this occasion was operated by the visiting company. All visiting companies are given the opportunity to sound check on the day and iron out any problems before the performance.

I was the Duty Manager for that evening and was not made aware of any problems by the visiting company or patrons. If we are alerted to any problems during the performance, we endeavour to deal with these as quickly as possible to ensure you have a fantastic evening.

Kindest regards
Donna Westland
Front of House Manager
Watford Colosseum

All reviews
"great venue"
in 28 reviews
"the town hall car park"
in 6 reviews
in 24 reviews
in 26 reviews
in 20 reviews

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Irish stew had more pepper in it than I've ever tasted before, anywhere. The fried fish had absorbed a huge amount of oil.

Previous visits were better, but this has put us off for good.

1  Thank Trevie1
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I visited the Colosseum to see Frank Skinner at the end of May. He was good, but not outstanding. I have also seen other comedians here like Al Murray and Harry Hill. We have also seen the play, The Moustrap here. It is a good venue and I think that the sound has been fine on all occasions. I didn't have a drink at the Frank Skinner show but at past events the queues have been huge and bar staff seemed inexperienced. Overall, the Colosseum is a really good venue and has allowed bands, show and comedians to come to Watford. Before we would have had to travel to St Albans or London to see many events.

1  Thank stere0mike
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I've been a few times to see various things and with a variety of people and what impresses me is the staff. They re v friendly and helpful. Service at the bar is v quick considering the amount of people they have to serve before the show begins. Booking tickets has been easy. The venue itself is comfortable and I've never had any problems with viewing the stage. The lobby and bar are v nice. Toilet facilities, in my experience, have always been clean.