“A one night stopover.”

and 1 more site!
Grove End Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I spent one night here at the very begining of March 2014. The hotel or guest house is about a ten minute walk to Watford town centre or about the same distance to Bushey tube station.

My room was a double room, basic and not an on suite room but there was a shower, bath & toilet next door to my room & for half the price of an on suite room & it was only for one night I was happy with this.

I could not get a proper signal on my phone (3) in my room & there was no breakfast, The owner was a friendly man & made me feel welcome. I found the hotel ok for me for one night.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Room n building at side of hotel Very poor, cold dirty, out dated,no working heating, no hot water, shower filthy en suite covered in rotten shag pile carpet, no phone signal, no wifi and for £89 a night wasn't worth £25 will never stay again :( ...

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter2013k
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed over 4 nights. All the staff were really nice and friendly. All the requests I asked before coming it have been done. Really close to town (10 min by walking) and to watford high street (tube)...so in 40 min you can get London....magic!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank 74_Isy_74
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I travelled there on business - just for 1 noght & I WILL NEVER RETURN! The clue was there; when I arrived to find the place surrounded by a 6 foot wrought iron fence. I parked my car, entered reception and waited for 15 minutes only to be greated with"is that your Jag outside?" Replying yes - I was told to meve it round the back because the van drivers leaving in the morning would wreck it. I duly moved the car and booked into what I thought was an on- suite room. It was, indeed a double (just), but the bathroom was across the corridoor and shared. When I returned to reception to point out the error - the "receptionist" had gone home to be replaced with a note of whom to call in an emergency. I accepted my fate and duly went out to look for food; ponly to be told (by another resident) to be back for 11 or I might not get back in!!!!
Later that evening a foreign visitorarrived, could not get anyone to book him in and left - having apparently paid, but not being able to get a bed for the night.
In the morning I beat a hasty retreat - never to return.

Room Tip: Apologies, I ticked swimming pool - there isn't one! My advice - for #60/ night - please stay an...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank JohnPotter
Reviewed 4 October 2012

A very basic hotel and at £45 per night what do you expect. the room is decorated in wood chip and needs a serious overhaul. The heating was not on at first but did get to a comfortable level. Only issue was sleeping with my head next to the radiator.

The shared bathroom was clean and I did not have any other issues. Did not try any food there,

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Anthony H
Reviewed 21 June 2012

In Feb 2012 I visited the Grove with three girlfriends for an overnight spa break. We arrived early and were allowed to check into one of the two rooms booked which was nice but thats the only good thing I have to say about the hotel.
We went to the pool, which was busy, to find that there was only a handful of loungers all of which were occupied. When we complained we were told, "priority is given to hotel guests" to which we replied, "well we are hotel guests tonight". We were invited to use the relaxation room which is miles away, downstairs and along a corridor, from the pool.
We had all booked treatments and when we arrived at the spa reception at the allocated time for our treatments we were shown to the relaxation room to wait. This room consists of a number of beds with linen and fluffy blankets for you to relax on. Some of the beds were inuse whilst others had obviously been used. When my therapist came to bring me to the therapy room for my facial, I commented on the used beds and she said that someone went into the relaxation room on a regular basis to change the bed linen. During my facial I commented on how cold the room was and asked for an extra blanket and for the AC to be turned down. The therapist explained that it was at its lowest setting and said, "the therapy rooms ahave been really cold all day". Afterwards when she asked how I felt I said," freezing" and she then said that the bed was heated, which it wasn't and then she just seemed surprised. I would have thought checking the heated mattress is on and the room temperature is acceptable is something she should have done before bringing a client into the room. When I returned to the relaxation room to await my friends, one of them commented that she had seen a staff member come in and tidy the sheets and blankets on the used beds to make them look fresh. Who wants to get into a bed that someone else has used after a sweaty sauna or massage. Not exactly hygienic and this is supposedly a five star establishment.
We booked dinner and were seated right next to the door in the restaurant, through which the staff were continually coming and going and as was snowing, we were freezing. We asked to move but were told there were no other tables. Is it normal practice to seat customers directly in front of a door, when staff are constantly using it, on one of the coldest nights of the year? We finally got to move table. Two of my friends ordered the fish dish for their main course, I think it was sole with linguine and clams. It was disgusting, the fish tasted like it had been washed in sea water and neither of them ate any of it. The waiter commented and they said the dish wasn't very nice. He cleared our plates away and returned a few minutes later to say that the chef had tasted the food and it was fine and hence it would not be taken off our bill. Firstly we did not ask to have it removed from the bill and secondly as we were on a spa break we had an monetary allocation for food which we were never going to use all of, so we didn't need it taken off our bill. For dessert one of my friends ordered lemon posset which was served with a stale shortbread biscuit. She pointed this out to the waiter and he said, " oh we don't make the biscuits ourselves, we buy them in." Oh well thats ok then, isn't it. Its okay to serve stale food if your chef didn't actually cook it. Unbelievable!!
As it snowed very heavily overnight, the main road through the estate had been cleared of snow, which meant it was all pushed to the side, blocking the entrance to the car parks. I asked a male member of staff why no effort had been made to clear the snow from the carpark and why it had in fact been piled up into a mound at the entrance to each parking bay and was told that they had tried to clear it but it was too difficult. I pointed out that I, a woman with a plastic shovel from Halfords had managed to dig my car out and create a path through the snow at the bay entrance, so they can't have tried too hard!!
Overall my experience was certainly not good. The bedrooms and bathrooms were lovely but the staff just give the impression that the place is great and they don't really care what the customer thinks. They are quite indifferent to critiscism and almost just shrug their shoulders. Also the calibre of some of the clientele, left a lot to be desired.
I have had previous spa breaks at Champneys in Tring, Hanbury Manor in Hertfordshire and the Luton Hoo hotel and would recommend all of the above rather than the Grove. The Luton Hoo is a five star establishment and the staff treat you like you are in a five star hotel. If you want a special spa break, don't go to The Grove, go to The Luton Hoo, and besides its cheaper!. The Grove is hugely over-rated and overhyped

Room Tip: none as both of our rooms were lovely
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank ev d
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Stay well away from this place. Even after making complaints the Hotel have accused us of lying.

Find somewhere else or book here at your peril

Room Tip: book another Hotel
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business