Grove End Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$117
US$106
  • Breakfast included
Hilton Watford(Watford)
US$109
US$103
US$82
Jurys Inn London Watford(Watford)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$86
Hotels.com
US$74
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel(Watford)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$54
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
Premier Inn Watford Central Hotel(Watford)(Great Value!)
US$88
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 February 2008

For just £7 less than a clean, modern and large double-bedded room in the Premier Inn on Water Lane, the Grove End Hotel offers a tiny and hideous single room with a duvet cover from 'Abigail's Party'.

A smell of rancid fat pervades Reception.

My room (£62!!!) was a small single with the kind of furniture that would be spurned by Oxfam.

The optimistically titled en-suite, had two tiny hand towels in colours banned since the seventies. And a tiny piece of Palmolive soap - the kind you might expect to find in a prison cell.

I'm staggered this place exists in the year 2008.

I booked in, went to my room, almost passed out then left to book in somewhere else. (The Best Western in Watford. Dull and old-fashioned but felt like Claridge's by comparison.)

I forbid you to stay there.

Stayed: February 2008
4  Thank bonetti61
Reviewed 19 October 2007

I have regularly stayed at the Grove End Hotel and enjoyed the experience. I found the staff very friendly, the food good and the bar excellent. I would stay there again

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank WelshWizard069
Reviewed 17 October 2007

All I can say is I wish there were more hotels like this I stayed here a couple of years ago and it just keeps getting better the staf know your name your not just a number.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank Ann1993
Reviewed 18 May 2006

Two words for you: ‘hideously’ and ‘overpriced’. At £58 per night for a single en-suite you’d be right to expect much, much more. The décor was woeful – unless you think taste in interior design peaked in 1978. The extractor fan in the bathroom must’ve been fitted the wrong way round, as it was freezing (even for late April). The shower-head was clogged with limescale and fired out water randomly. The rest of the room was similarly cold and the paper-thin curtains,strip lighting (no lamp), dismal tea/coffee facilities and remote control-less, Rubik cube-sized TV relieved the room of its last vestiges of cosiness. I didn’t attempt to try the food – served in a smoky bar – as one look at the menu revealed little options other than chips, chips and chips. The staff were welcoming and helpful, but that's about as good as it got. I later discovered a Travel Inn five minutes walk away (and very close to Watford town centre). At only £4 extra for single en-suite (£62 p/n), this would’ve been a far safer bet. My advice: drive straight past this place and go there.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled on business