“Usual good value expected from a Premier Inn”

Premier Inn Watford Central Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here overnight before attending business in London the following morning, and this hotel was very conveniently located to head straight into Euston station. Car parking was ample, and the staff at check in were friendly and helpful. The juice and ice water in the lobby were a nice touch as it was a very hot day. The room was spacious, and peaceful, although as with many hotels, a few areas of the room could do with being repainted/updated. Also, the floor board outside my room was very squeaky, and every time someone walked past it was very loud and quite irritating, but fortunately not many people were staying in my part of the hotel. I decided to have dinner in the restaurant, which was very nice and well priced. The waitress was very friendly and extremely helpful, i couldn't have asked for better service! Overall, a decent, good value hotel, perfect for a short stay.

Room Tip: Avoid staying in family areas if possible
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Johnny M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,163)

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here recently (14th to 20th ) July myself the partner and 2 kids. Room was great we stay premier inn when we can so we knew what to expect. Breakfast was lovely and staff very friendly and made sure the kids where happy with what they got to eat. Only gripe was the weather which I know is not the hotels fault. But it was hot very very hot. In fairness to the hotel they provided us with 2 fans to try and cool the room but to no avail. Maybe they could try mobile AC units in the hallways I'm sure this would help. Despite the heat we would not hesitate to return.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Hotel was absolutely fine but unfortunately when checking out I left some clothing on the bed in the room. After notifying the hotel a call was never returned to me and when I followed this up, I was informed the missing clothing had not been found. Who else had been in the room? Who has keys for the room? Surely only Premier Inn staff!
Although never found, it is the principal of the matter. Return telephone calls have not been made and no doubt I will have to chase up again. After all they have had my money so why worry about the customer who has already paid?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Watford Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to deliver a high standard of customer service in all our establishments and we do apologise that on this occasion we failed to achieve this. Please be assured that your feedback is very important as it enables us to improve standards. Please email your review details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here fore one night before going into London for a convention. The staff were excellent, very helpful and friendly, and dealt with book in and greetings exactly as they should, didn't feel scripted, they booked us in explained all the relevant times and guarantees etc, all with a very friendly manner.
The room was as you'd expect from a premier inn, all clean, tidy and well appointed, with a fan already running in the room (it was a hot day), when we got in. We got a good nights sleep, fairly quiet (premier inn has been pushing the quiet zone thing, and I think its working, which is great!). The bad was a little hard for me, but that's just personal taste.
The restaurant was very good, nice meals, friendly staff and dealt with quick enough without being pushy, so all in all very good.
The only slight downer is the place could do with a slight re-decorate in places, but that's not to say it wasn't clean and tidy.
All in all a very good premier inn, I would definitely use again and would recommend, the only reason it has 4 stars is for the slight décor issue, but it is a first class budget hotel.

Room Tip: I always like to get a high floor, saves the noisy person above you!
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel while it was hot and can relate to the previous reviewer's situation, especially having children to look after. However the hotel is a good choice for it's value and location in relation to the Harry Potter studio nearby. Good parking but it is quite difficult to find unless you're used to driving around suburban ring roadss, so either satnav it or get a really detailed map. No fridge at Premier Inns, but in this case a 24 hr Tesco supermarket is literally across the road. I got an extremely good price by booking in advance (29 GBP) and liked the chain so much I stayed at another of their hotels by preference shortly afterwards. Staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Obviously not a good choice in the summer as they don't have air conditioning. No fridge availa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank HafodBlueMountains
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here for a week from July 5th to 12th. Our greeting from reception was warm and friendly. The lift was out of order, so we had to hawk 3 cases up the stairs to the second floor as there was no offer of help with these. The heat from the room was unbearable. A fan in the room was like fighting an inferno with a bucket of water! The windows had to be left open for a little air, as there was no air con, but the traffic noise in our room carried right across all the beds (a kingsize with a foldaway bed at either side), allowing very little room to walk between them. The beds had just sheets on, and a note about the heat and duvets on the only shelving space in the room (4 wooden shelves). As we are a family of 4 we booked a family room and were surprised to find that Premier Inn doesn't expect families to have many clothes. There was a hanging space beside the shelves with 5 or 6 Woden hangers built in, but no drawers at all. The bedside stand was a tiny wooden box stuck to the wall at either side of the bed -just large enough to put in my 7 year old son's pyjamas! The bathroom had liquid soap dispensers attached to the wall at the sink and another at the bath. We were provided with 3 bath towels and 1 hand towel, despite there being 4 of us, and despite the hotel having known that the room was a heat hazard! If anyone fancies sweltering in tropical temperatures in bed, or drying themselves off after a shower in the sauna of a bathroom that had one inadequate extractor fan, and for anyone who likes a 24hr soundtrack of motorway traffic, then just ask for room 219! The kingsize bed was ok, but the two foldaway beds were not comfortable, so the kids had to get in the kingsize and my husband slept (god only knows how) with his 6ft3 frame dangling over the end of a 5ft something camp bed. I could not sleep with the heat and the noise. Closing the windows did not drown out the noise, and the noise of the fan on top of the road noise, fanning hot air round the room was a nightmare. Lenny Henry obviously didn't stay in room 219 in Watford when he made their advert!!!
Having eventually passed out with exhaustion sometime after 5 am, I was awoken by someone speeding on the motorway on a very loud motorbike shortly after 8am.

I was almost in tears with tiredness and frustration as I explained my night from hell, to the apologetic receptionist on duty. We were offered free breakfast, and our first night was refunded immediately. As I stated that I could not spend another night in 219, she showed me into 216 on the other side of our steaming hot corridor- which was also warm, stuffy and noisy. She asked me if I lived in the countryside as she thought I was overly sensitive to the road noise. Evidently Premier Inn is deemed more suitable to the hard of hearing or those accustomed to living in the open air, close to Silverstone race track.
Anyway, she then showed me room 126, on the first floor. Although the road noise with the window open was still loud, the room was cooler (although still not great) than 219, so we had to pack our 3 suitcases and all our bags again, and hauled them down a flight of stairs to room 126.
Whilst this room was not as stifling hot, it still had just a fan, and no air con. We slept with the window closed to keep the road noise to a minimum, but the heat increased as a result. The bathroom was also like a sauna with all the trapped steam from the faulty shower that barely drizzled out water. No power showers here... But a new shower head and a wash down of the mold above the door inside the bathroom would be a great idea!
The king size bed was like a board it was so firm, and made for 6 nights of poor sleep for myself, whilst my husband was able to put up with it. My daughters bed was also hard and had springs poking in her back. I used the 3 duvets from the shelves to build up extra layers on my side of the bed to sleep on top of, but this didn't alleviate the effect much. Unfortunately the maid must have assumed that we wanted to sleep under duvets (despite the heat!) and removed the sheets that we were using to put over ourselves. This happened 4 days in a row, and each night we had to ask reception got our sheets back. Reception told us on the second occasion that this happened that they would inform the maids to leave the sheets in the room, but this did not happen. The £3 per day for wifi, incidentally is per device and not per room. We had 5 devices but chose to pay for only 3 as it was still £10 per week per device and we weren't't prepared to pay an extra £50 for them all. The wifi was slow and patchy at times. We weren't informed that we were entitled to a free 30mins per day but we saw it advertised in the hotel, at reception, on the wall so I used this once also. Again, it was patchy and slow.
Anyway, you may be wondering why I have the hotel any stars at all. The stars are for the staff who tried their best, despite the hotel obviously having many problems with heating and the lift being out of order for a number of days (it was working by Tuesday 8th). The staff on reception and in the restaurant could not be faulted, despite the one lady enquiring if we lived "in the countryside". The food in the restaurant on the two nights that we had dinner there (Saturday and Sunday), was also very nice. My husband said breakfast was OK, but I never had breakfast there myself. Dinner was also good value, and the kids were well catered for. The hotel was in an ideal location for walking to the High Street, for shopping and restaurants. Also Watford has good connections for London, and free parking which we availed of as well. staff answered all our queries about how to get to the stations and photocopied a map to help us when walking to the tube station (35minutes walk away).
I would not stay in the hotel ever again, unless they put in air con in the room, adequate extractor fans in their bathrooms, memory foam mattresses instead of rock hard kingsize beds, decent rollaway beds that a teenager could comfortably sleep on, more plugs in the room (as there were only 3 that we could find, one of which had a fan attached, and another for the TV), reliable (and dare I say free) wifi for all guests, and triple glazing to neutralise the road noise. Also, larger rooms for more space to move around the beds, a set of drawers, a few more hangers on the hanging rail, an in-room safe, new shower heads, more towels and leave the sheets on the beds please, without guests having to ask.
I realise that it is a budget hotel, but budget should still be functional and comfortable. AND don't make a promise that you can't keep about "a great nights sleep". Myself and my daughter had the worst sleep ever and looked forward to our beds at home! The only reasons I did not report the lack of sleep to reception after we changed room was that no one bothered to ask whether we slept well after we moved room, until check out at which point my husband checked us out. Also, it is not easy to find another hotel at such short notice and the hotel was booked solid so there was no point in shifting to another room, and we had paid for our entire stay upon arrival.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Watford Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell far short of your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Have stayed at Watford central five times with another stay booked for Dec. Staff are helpful and polite, the manager spoke to everyone at breakfast making sure everyone was ok. Near to train station, easy trip to central London and Harry Potter studios. Can't recommend this enough 10/10