“Reasonable Stay”

Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham Walsall
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Walsall
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We got quite a good deal on this hotel which included breakfast and one evening meal.

The hotel is located next to Bescot Stadium. Get there by taking the train to Bescot Station. It is just 2 minutes walk from there.

You have to call out to get someone to come to reception. Our room was OK, but I was annoyed to find the connecting door to the room next door had been left open and I could walk into that room from ours. I complained about this. Also sound proofing between that room and ours was non-existant.

The room itself was fine. It was clean. The bed was comfortable and it had tea/coffee making facilities. The shower had plenty of hot water.

I was impressed by the breakfast provided at the hotel. When it is busy, it is a buffet; on quieter days it is cooked to order. Evening meal was OK but the menu was a bit limited. The hotel has a bar downstairs.

The hotel is a bit out of the way being near Walsall Football Club's Stadium and a couple of shops. There is an excellent Sunday market next to the hotel. The hotel is close to the train station.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2013

I arrived late due to flight and train delays so just wanted my sleep, after 3 attempts at getting a key card that worked I was starting to get annoyed, eventually they came with me and I was told "you have a nice quite room so you'll have a good sleep".... If that was a quiet room, I feel sorry for anyone staying in another room. The room was clean and looked ok, basic but I was there for business so THOUGHT I had all I needed. Went to check my emails (phone is on international roaming so data off!) no wifi found - yet I had called to check about wifi before I travelled. Yes they do have it but only in the bar area, so cable connection in the room that you pay for, not much use if you travel with a Tablet - I have no objection to paying but advertising free wifi is a bit misleading. Gave up and tried to sleep, 4 hours later the motorway noise had me wide awake so I gave up and went to make a coffee..decaff anyone. No coffee except decaff. Avoided breakfast and got ready and headed out to my meeting, asked for a taxi and was told it was only a 2 minute walk down the road, lucky for me someone corrected her as it was a 10 min taxi ride away and not possible to walk to. Got my coffee then so started to feel better. Arrive back from meeting, key didn't work again! At least they had put coffee in my room during the day. Went for my evening meal, asked for wifi access code and 4 codes late I was in. Food was ok, nothing great but service was fast but wasn't service with a smile. I had some work to do so planned on sitting in the bar area to use the internet but after 15 mins it was too noisy to concentrate so I went to my room. Failed to get a good nights sleep but I had my coffee. 2nd days meeting was only short so I took myself out for the rest of the day as it is in a good location for a short train trip to Birmingham and some retail therapy. Skipped dinner that evening and thought I'd try and get an early night, mission failed again, couldn't use the internet so I ended up turning my phone on to use it and face the charges on my return. Checking out on my way to 3rd meeting...20 minutes later and 1 very annoyed taxi driver I get seen to - staff are trying to cover bar, breakfast and reception. Now faced with another 3 days with meetings at the same venue and I just pray the book me elsewhere. No customer service, no sleep and not even suitable for most business travellers as I'd image most people use I-pads or similar when travelling, had I been told wifi was not in the rooms I would have took a laptop, don't think I've ever been so glad to get home and sleep!

Room Tip: Opposite side to traffic and ground floor seem to be quietest - I hope
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank gingersnaps_76
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The rooms are in the process of being rennovated and I was allocated one of these which wasn't bad in terms of decor, space and layout.

However, I was located at the back of the hotel facing the run down football stadium and wasteland, and couldn't have my window open due to the ridiculously loud generators. I was on the third floor (highest floor) so dread to think how noisy it would have been on the ground floor. Thankfully the air con meant I could control the temperature whilst blocking the noise out - although it was still audible when fully closed. I spoke to another guest staying, who had a room at the front - which faces the M6. He said this was also very noisy even during the night with the windows shut, so seems a pretty poor set up if you ask me.

Id recommend asking for a room at the back (football ground) and at the far end to try and get the quietest room!

The staff were great though, and the restaurant food was good - it was just spoilt by the noise. Views I can deal with in a budget hotel, but to me you shouldn't have that volume of noise in any hotel unless you are at an airport!

Room Tip: Id recommend asking for a room at the back (football ground) and at the far end to try and get the q...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

The hotel is convenient for Walsall Football Club, the M6 and Bescot Station but its well out of the town centre and 3/4 mile walk from anywhere half decent to eat.
Reception staff were friendly and efficient as were breakfast team. Service in the empty restaurant was glacial but did get quicker once they got into their stride. The restaurant seats should be condemned - the seat covers are all worn and the seats sink.
Food in the restaurant was standard Park Inn grub, served hot and cooked ok. Nothing spectacular.
The room was clean and well soundproofed on the motorway side. I got a good night's sleep.
The price was very reasonable and I got what I paid for.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Our engineer commented best nights sleep and the rooms were bigger than expected.

Great Stay!! and would stay again.

Parking easily available and staff friendly.

All in all great for solo travellers or people wanting an over night stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed here recently when attending a family wedding, Rooms although basic are clean and have all neccessary facilities. Breakfast was of good quality but a little lacking in choice which in fairness is only to be expected considering prices charged. Late night bar with excellent staff. Overall excellent value for money for overnight stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Park Inn Walsall is conveniently located near M5/M6 junction. The hotel was established about 5 years ago, and has shown a gradual decline since. Rooms consist of nice bathroom with a shower, and no bath. Bedroom itself is basic, although all necessary amenities are available. All rooms have air-conditioning.

It is always busy, especially with people from the nearby RAC office. When checking in, ask for a hotel not facing the motorway (which is about 100 yards away).

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the motorway
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsall
Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall
Holiday Inn Express Walsall
Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West
Beverley Hotel
Beverley Hotel
#9 of 11 in Walsall
The Quality Hotel Dudley
Best Western Birmingham Walsall Barons Court Hotel

Been to Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham Walsall? Share your experiences!