“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Walsall
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

I was attracted by an on line deal - £64 per night including breakfast. In the event the hotelm was little more than OK. It was convenient and clean but the service was poor. Most of the staff seemed to be very young. I had to queue at reception to check in. On arrival, reception was not staffed and I was third in the queue. During my stay I never received any requested wake up calls and none of the ppaers I ordered ever arrived. Food satisfactory but the fruit juice at breakfast in heavily diluted - little more than orange covered water. Overall not that impressed by convenient for work and it was quiet.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

We went as a family and used it as a stop off to visit the area. Although very close to the M6 it was difficult to hear the traffic. There is not a lot around the hotel to visit but is a good base for travelling on. The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. We noticed they were refitting some rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Booked last minute deal for the family as a stop off after a busy day at the theme parks. Room was standard. Comfy but external noise was a minor irritation. Slept well though otherwise once I got over.

Breakfast was an optional £10 extra at booking time but well worth it. Full english available self service with all the usual exfras like danish's and cerials etc. Food was lovely and very filling.

Facilities in room were standard but only a power shower available with hand dispenser for shampoo etc. Saves from people pinching the bottles I suppose haha.

All in all definitely worth the £62 I paid for a night forna family of 3.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Forgive the pun on the title. Good points; easy and plenty of parking near the front door, good reception welcome, quick friendly service, lifts close by and quick to arrive, staff friendly and helpful. Linen, room condition and cleanliness was very good. Bad points; rooms are OK for size and décor, a bit basic yet modern but the walls do not protect from corridor noise or the slightest sound from above. The hard floors and thin walls in the rooms mean that every door that slams or suitcase being dragged can be heard. I had someone above my room coughing all the time and it was frustrating. Why have hard floors and insufficient sound proofing? Poor design or lack of investment mean that I would recommend you avoid this hotel if you value peace and quiet.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Just off the M6 at Junction 9 – convenient for an overnight journey break.
I thought at £49.00 was good value (cheaper options were available had I booked non-flexible, but my plans are often liable to change right up to the last minute, so I rarely do).
The usual Park In by Radisson standards – which for a budget brand I think are excellent.
Large room, with sofa and desk area, reasonably contemporarily decorated, well designed small bathroom with wet-room style shower and all the bits you need including tissues and face cloths, good quality towels. The bed was comfortable enough.
No fridge – and I didn’t get a chance to use the WIFI as I was only there for a few hours after a show in Manchester and en route to Heathrow for an early flight the next morning, so it was literally just to crash out for a few hours.
Modern, clean, a bit antiseptic and somewhat soul-less like a lot of ‘transit’ hotels, but fine for a short stopover and no nonsense does-what-it-says-on-the-tin. Free parking just outside!
Staff were friendly and efficient.
I would stay there again under similar circumstances.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We got quite a good deal on this hotel which included breakfast and one evening meal.

The hotel is located next to Bescot Stadium. Get there by taking the train to Bescot Station. It is just 2 minutes walk from there.

You have to call out to get someone to come to reception. Our room was OK, but I was annoyed to find the connecting door to the room next door had been left open and I could walk into that room from ours. I complained about this. Also sound proofing between that room and ours was non-existant.

The room itself was fine. It was clean. The bed was comfortable and it had tea/coffee making facilities. The shower had plenty of hot water.

I was impressed by the breakfast provided at the hotel. When it is busy, it is a buffet; on quieter days it is cooked to order. Evening meal was OK but the menu was a bit limited. The hotel has a bar downstairs.

The hotel is a bit out of the way being near Walsall Football Club's Stadium and a couple of shops. There is an excellent Sunday market next to the hotel. The hotel is close to the train station.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I arrived late due to flight and train delays so just wanted my sleep, after 3 attempts at getting a key card that worked I was starting to get annoyed, eventually they came with me and I was told "you have a nice quite room so you'll have a good sleep".... If that was a quiet room, I feel sorry for anyone staying in another room. The room was clean and looked ok, basic but I was there for business so THOUGHT I had all I needed. Went to check my emails (phone is on international roaming so data off!) no wifi found - yet I had called to check about wifi before I travelled. Yes they do have it but only in the bar area, so cable connection in the room that you pay for, not much use if you travel with a Tablet - I have no objection to paying but advertising free wifi is a bit misleading. Gave up and tried to sleep, 4 hours later the motorway noise had me wide awake so I gave up and went to make a coffee..decaff anyone. No coffee except decaff. Avoided breakfast and got ready and headed out to my meeting, asked for a taxi and was told it was only a 2 minute walk down the road, lucky for me someone corrected her as it was a 10 min taxi ride away and not possible to walk to. Got my coffee then so started to feel better. Arrive back from meeting, key didn't work again! At least they had put coffee in my room during the day. Went for my evening meal, asked for wifi access code and 4 codes late I was in. Food was ok, nothing great but service was fast but wasn't service with a smile. I had some work to do so planned on sitting in the bar area to use the internet but after 15 mins it was too noisy to concentrate so I went to my room. Failed to get a good nights sleep but I had my coffee. 2nd days meeting was only short so I took myself out for the rest of the day as it is in a good location for a short train trip to Birmingham and some retail therapy. Skipped dinner that evening and thought I'd try and get an early night, mission failed again, couldn't use the internet so I ended up turning my phone on to use it and face the charges on my return. Checking out on my way to 3rd meeting...20 minutes later and 1 very annoyed taxi driver I get seen to - staff are trying to cover bar, breakfast and reception. Now faced with another 3 days with meetings at the same venue and I just pray the book me elsewhere. No customer service, no sleep and not even suitable for most business travellers as I'd image most people use I-pads or similar when travelling, had I been told wifi was not in the rooms I would have took a laptop, don't think I've ever been so glad to get home and sleep!

Room Tip: Opposite side to traffic and ground floor seem to be quietest - I hope
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gingersnaps_76

Travellers are raving about these Walsall hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsall
Holiday Inn Express Walsall
Premier Inn Walsall Town Centre Hotel
Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
#1 of 1 in Aldridge
Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall
Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West

Been to Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham Walsall? Share your experiences!