“Beware the murderous receptionist!”
Review of Lyndon House Hotel

Lyndon House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Walsall B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Beware the murderous receptionist!”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Certainly this place could not be described as characterless or sterile. However it wasn't personally to my taste. I stayed in a 'superior' room, very Tudor, very small windows, at the top of an outside staircase... I'd have preferred something a bit more practical. But some people will like it.

I missed breakfast in the morning but I did find an excellent Wetherspoons that did Eggs Benedict and coffee for something like £3.00 round the corner.

The rates published on the leaflets in the hotel's foyer were cheaper than those on booking.com!

I have simply got to post this photo I took of the hotel brochure, as it made me laugh...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
england
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My wife and I recently stopped overnight at the Lyndon Hotel. I have over the years and across the world often had to use one of the Hotel Chains, Yes they are good and yes all very modern BUT all characterless and sterile, only the sort of plac eyou hav eto use not chose to use. The Lyndon, from the moment we booked in struch us as different, yes it has minor faults, all hotels do, the difference is the attitude of all we met from the Receptionist to the lovely lady who served us breakfast,a real gem, nothing was too much trouble.Astounding that such service at such a reasonble rate. It made our night.
Please do not change and ignore the nockers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
usa
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I stayed at the Lyndon House for business and did not pick the hotel. Yet, I found after the long trek from the US to Walsall that the beds were just perfect for resting my weary body, the rooms spacious and the staff incredible. In fact, I felt that the staff went out of there way for us – I’ve never gotten a call informing me that I’ve slept in and if I wanted breakfast that I’d better get down ASAP!

Which takes me to the food. Fabulous! Portions were just right and everything was super tasty. I will that I could have squeezed in one or two more meals. Friday night down at the pub seemed to be a great mix with all the locals, and was quite lively.

The hotel is within walking distance of grocers, restaurants and shopping. So if you have a little down time – I would recommend you get out and explore.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Nottingham
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Corridors smelled like a tramps toilet, linen marked, windows wouldn’t stay open and threatened to chop off head, WC took 10 minutes to fill (noisily), shower pressure just a dribble, wallpaper peeling, cupboards full of building rubble and junk (really!), TV pre-dated Baird … but staff were friendly.

Not quite like the photos on the web page.

Won't be back.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you commit.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Tralling_man
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My friend and I were travelling up to chester for a couple of days away and stayed here to break up the journey. From the minute we walked in the door we were made to feel like long lost friends. The room was clean and full of charm. The owners were delightful and hospitable and the entertainment team were the best. There was the opportunity to purchase tickets to the tribute band playing in the conservatory which included a basket meal at a bargain price. After the tribute band had finished there was a disco which was opened to the public. There was also a nightclub which was a lot of fun and due to the position was inaudible from our bedroom. Breakfast the next day was exactly what you would wish for. We had an amazing time and this turned out to be one of the best bits from our break. We'll be back for more!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I was trying to decide between a Travelodge and a Holiday Inn (with a sinking heart) when I thought I'd look on Trip Advisor and check out any alternatives in the area, and I'm really glad I did. Nice old building, comfortable and very clean room, a bit of character and really friendly staff. In the centre of Walsall and therefore well connected to trains and bus services etc. The food in the pub restaurant isn't amazing and the breakfast room wasn't as clean as the rest of the place, but breakfast was good and overall it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Bridgend, Wales
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I have stayed at this hotel on and off over the past four years. Unlike the big chains, each room is individual and bursting with character. The bar is like an old fashioned pub with lots of locals and businessmen frequenting it, perhaps because it has at least five real ales always on tap and the friendliest barmaids around. It offers great value food and the breakfast (cooked to order) is outstanding and sets you up for the day.
Coming back is like visiting an old friend and, if you want it, you will always have good company and not feel on your own. The owner and his staff have it spot on. The only problem is that once you have stayed here all other hotels seem second rate.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business