“Great hotel, fab staff, lovely spa”

Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Walsall
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Have been to this hotel a few times and it's always great, this was for my daughter's 21st, there were 16 of us, all having dinner and staying over. We wanted to eat in the grill as it's less formal and we had kids with us. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, they even came up with some table decorations and balloons. We had a great time, the spa is lovely, the food great (and really good value). Fantastic venue - thanks very much, we'll definitely be back

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Stephen C, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear An61

We correspond again!! Many Thanks for your kind words about the hotel and the team, they are much appreciated and we hope it is not long before we see you once again

Best Wishes from us all

Write a ReviewReviews (1,734)

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Just got back from a weekend at the Village. As a family we use this chain fior the leisure facilities.Check in was good and info given was useful. The room was the usual quality with very comfy beds and good towels.
Ate in the restaurant as we were on the 2 night stay with dinner included package. The menu is very limited but what we had was good quality and served in good time.Staff were very polite and helpful.
Breakfast is a help yourself buffet and was topped up regularly. Toaster very slow!!. Plenty of tea and coffee offered.
My husband was not well ( nothing to do with the hotel/food) so I asked the cleaner on our floor whether he could service our room promptly so that my husband could go back to bed. Luke, the cleaner, was polite and sorted the room out for us immediately.

The pool etc was good as usual with free towels. The changing rooms were a little cold but clean.

Dinner the second night was fine and the staff attentive and friendly.We had been given a book full of vouchers that we were able to use against food and drink.

I think Village hotels are value for money. The restaurant food is expensive for what it is but it suited my family not to have to find somewhere to eat. Having been into Walsall earlier in the day it seems devoid of anything!!

Well done to the staff at the Village Walsall. You were all cheerfull, polite and helpful. I disagree totally with Andrea S and Nigeljmills!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Dear Renegades1953,

Thank you for sharing your review of the hotel with trip advisor folloiwng your recent stay. We were delighted to read that you all had a fabulous time and enjoyed the facilities on offer and that the staff were polite and attentive. The next time you are visiting the area we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

Just got back from great nights stay. Staff was brilliant and very helpful. Food great and no complaints at all and we ate in restaurant on night and breakfast in morn and also pub on afternoon. Stayed in upper deck room which was lovey clean and comfy. Leisure facilities impressive and able to use before we checked in and after we checked out. Very helpful staff allowed us to keep luggage there after we checked out while we went shopping. Overall amazing and no complaints at all. Will defiantly be returning and are even thinking of booking our wedding here, thumbs up from us both!

Room Tip: Upgrade to upper deck
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Laina87

Thank you for taking the time to share your view of the hotel with trip advisor following your recent stay. We were delighted to read that you had a great time and enjoyed the new Upper Deck rooms and the Leisure faciltities on offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future

Best Wishes

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 4 days and just got back. It was a business trip with a few colleagues. The hotel is nice and the leasure facilities are impressive, BUT the service is TERRIBLE! Do not plan to eat at the hotel, trust me you’ll regret it. Total waist of time!

On the first night 4 of us went down to the restaurant 10 minutes before dinner time and went back to the room 3 hors later and only ordered a 2 course meal. After ordering our main we did not see any food for 1hour and 40 minutes, nobody came to inform us about any delays. When we asked about our food we were told its on its way … after asking for a further 3 more times it arrived inventally. You can guess how hungry I was by then! Unfortunately the food was a total letwown:
- Ceasar salad (from the bar) had BURNT chicken
- chicken Kiew with a large bone sticking out of it (?) and the bottom side was BURNT and BLACK
- blue steak came COLD
- very well done steak came pink
We sent the two steaks back and was told we will get a new ones made … after another 40 minutes wait we got our food. The blue steak was fine, but my very well done steak was bleeding once I cut it throught – it was cooked for less time than the first one :( This is VERY BAD!!! It put me off steak for a while. The waitress offered me another steak but having two bad trials and been waiting for 2.5 hours was enough. I ordered fish instead.

Oh yes and my dessert was sour, which is always a worry with cheese cakes . After this experience you can see why I had ordered takeaway for the next night and went to Chiquito the third night.

Breakfast was nothing better, ordered coffee and had to remind the waitress several times that we are still waiting. Fried eggs burnt, no milk for the cerial (both days).

Superior room was pleasant. Shame hotel is close to the motorway so even though the bedding was very comfy I couldn’t have a good night sleep. Cleaner did not refill coffee station with milk and sugar and no almond biscuit on the second day. Third day I had to go down to the reception and ask for shower gel – cleaner never replaced them.

Even though the leasure facilities were fantastic I would not stay at this hotel again, not unless they change the chef and they improve on service.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Andrea S,

I would like to thank you for taking the tme to share you review of the hotel with trip advisor despite its content. Clearly we have much work to do however the detail you have provided is invaluable, the view of our customers is the very best measure we have on how we are peforming and I can assure you that we are better than this.

If you would like to discuss anything further about your exerience, or lack of it then I would be delighted to hear rom you.

In the meantime I remain disappointed that we have let you down but assure you that we will improve.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

I originally posted this but think it needs to be followed up.

"I am waiting for my meal to arrive... It has been 1hr 40mins and still nothing. Other meals that did arrive involved over cooked chicken Caesar salad and burnt chicken Kiev... Very poor indeed. Also had a superior room with pubes in the bathroom... Must book in advance next time to avoid happiness"

Well you will be pleased to hear that my meal turned up 2.5 hrs after I ordered it. The breakfast the next turned out to be another exercise in futility, on arrival I asked for two poached eggs and a coffee. The only reason I asked for poached eggs was the fact that the burnt offering that had been assembled for the guests included joke shop comedy rubber eggs, not really my thing. Well I sat patiently at my table for some time before asking politely again for my breakfast and coffee. This request was duly ignored. My breakfast finally arrived 45mins and three requests later. The kitchen and restaurant staff are shocking!!!

Room service not done, food bad, service worse & a flagrant disregard for the guest. Do not stay here. If you do, book a table at chiquitos like I and around 15 separate guest did for the rest of the time we were there.

Room Tip: Try the holiday inn or somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear nigeljmills,

I have just been revieiwing recent guest reviews through the trip advisor site following recent annul leave and am totally embarrassed that we have got so much wrong with your stay.
I wonder if you would be good enoug to make contact with me when time permits so that I can discuss the content of your review in a little more detail.

I can assure you that we are better than this but understand your comments based upon your experience.

My thanks in advance.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

I have stayed here on 3 occasions now due to a business trip, the hotel is lovely pub and restarant in hotel with a starbucks but the rooms are what you would expect. The one let down i had with being away on business tv is my main entertainmet but they are mainly for sports viewers wasnt impressed. Basic showering toiletries and when i came into the rooms i had to leave the doors open as they smelt damp however the food is lovely and the staff are very helpful and kind. You can hear others tv's, conversations and the doors banging so not completely peaceful.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Leaheffs,

Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your recent review of the hotel with trip advisor. Your comments are much appreciated and whilst i was delighted that in the main you were happy with the service and facilities your comments concerning the TV based entertainment were of concern.
We appreciate the importnace of this to many and by way of information should you be staying with us again then we have recently refurbished 21 rooms to the new Upper Deck design and they have a full Sky HD offer available. Hopefully we can make one these available to you the next time you visit.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Brief review after our little group of 8 stayed overnight at this Hotel.

Arrived on a Friday afternoon in February for our postponed Xmas party (we all had that nasty virus when we should have gone) and the place was 'rammed' with men in suits busy on their laptops. This is clearly a meet up location for the men on the road to catch up and put the weeks business to bed.......We went into the grill room for a drink and something to eat. The beer/drinks was what you would expect in a hotel (read expensive) The food was poor, lacked imagination and was expensive for what you got...An example was a fishfinger cob with chips....Now you would think that it would be an item that was home made style fishfingers with a bit of flair....BUT....No... it was a bap with three Findus fishfingers bunged onto it and a little 'bucket' of chips....WOW all that for £7 !!! The other toasted sandwiches ham and melted cheese were just as dull and again £6 is daft money....OK it was a lesson learned 'we' will NOT be eating there again at those prices. We all booked in and went off to our rooms. Found them clean with the normal freebies of coffee & tea. Went to the Gym and pool all in with the room price. Went to our 'party' at a Motown evening in one of the function rooms....Again the food was the major let down, with tasteless chicken curry, fish pie and cold meats on offer....The ladies thought the puddings were the best items offered.
Much drinking was done, a great nights sleep was had and the breakfast was also the best meal we had at the hotel.
Overall the Hotel is good and very very handy for a stop off as its right next to the M6 (Junc 10) You don't hear any traffic noise at all though. The hotel were very fair with us as due to illness we had to cancel our original booking date but they still honoured that price even though the room prices have risen for 2013....Had a great night, just wish the food was a little more appetizing.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Heather H, Deputy General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Dear Penfoldsmith,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am v.happy that you were happy that our party organiser was able to be so flexible and move your date when you were unable to make your original booking due to an illness. Glad to read that 'much drinking was done' on your party night!

We are sorry you didn't find our pub or event menu to your liking , we have many and varied offers that suit most palates and wallets.

We will ensure your comments are considered when we are developing new menus and offers.

I am glad you had a good night and hope to be able to welcome you to our lively and bustling Urban Resort in the future.

Best Regards,
Heather Hoskins,
Deputy General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsall
Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10
0 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Walsall
Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley
Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham Walsall
5 mi away
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Best Western Birmingham Walsall Barons Court Hotel

Been to Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall? Share your experiences!