“upper Deck room was very comfortable”

Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Walsall
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Having previously spent the night at the De Vere Village Swindon we were happy to consider staying here whilst in the area visiting family.
We opted for one of the upper deck rooms and it was nicely presented, the bed was extremely comfortable and the bedding very luxurious, the bathroom was very clean and at night time the hotel was very quiet.
It is fair to say the De Vere Village Walsall isn't what you might call a "destination" hotel and mostly I think their guests are here on business. The location just off the M6 makes it perfect for people passing through. This hotel offers exceptional value for money and ample free parking is an added bonus.
Breakfast is what you might expect from any hotel of this type and is served in pleasant surroundings.
Overall we would be very happy to stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Upper deck rooms have good beds and very lovely sheets, pillows and duvet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Heather H, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear ColeandFletcher,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel.

Fab to read that you had ‘great friendly service all round’ – we hope to welcome you again when visiting family in the area.

Best Wishes,

Heather Hoskins,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,684)

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stayed on business and have stayed here previously. Sadly the restaurant has been absorbed into the Victory Pub concept. Shame really as the pub really is not good. Beer and football and 98% male.
If you do not drink beer, are not in to football on the big screen tellys then this is purgatory.
The food is a poor selection, mainly stuff that is easily cooked, and fixed selection. Poor veggie selection and just a VERY poor selection full stop. I pity the guy who checked in before me as he was staying 3 nights. I struggled to find anything to eat for one night.
Room is comfortable and clean and this hotel is just let down by the pub. The hotel has a Starbucks in the foyer and this makes it a very easy place to meet clients with plenty of space to chat etc. Also free wifi and loads of power points to run laptops etc.
De Vere should really re-examine the concept as I would not stay here again by choice and if I did would make the trip into Walsall for food. I liked the restaurant that was there before and I guess this was done to as it was not the busiest and it saved costs and made extra income for the pub. Sadly this has down graded the hotel for me. This is not the cheapest hotel and other chains such as Premier Inn have a similar pub attached but you are not paying the same price and hence do not expect a premium offer on the food front.
For me I would stay elsewhere in future as the food must be a decent selection even if I have to pay more for the room.

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jonauk,

Thank you for your review. Please accept our apologies that you did not find our dining options suitable. Our menu is comprised of both Pub classics and Restaurant options and does change seasonally.

There are significant sections for dining that have quieter areas – and we do aim to make all diners comfortable, we accept you appear to not have had that impression.

Please contact me when you are in the area again and I will be happy to share our new menu with you.

Regards,

General Manager.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed here on Friday 31st January, my company had got us tickets to the comedy night. This was a really good night but spoiled by poor quality food. There was only two choices, chicken and chips or vegetable curry, we chose the chicken which was very dry and for this reason I do not think they will be booking this again, you just expect better from this type of hotel.
We stayed to avoid having to drive home, room and facility's in the room were good, but let down again by poor quality breakfast which was not very warm, the bacon was actually cold, Do not think I could recommend this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Pitabread15,

Thank you for your review – glad to read that you enjoyed the comedy night – we have just recruited a new supplier for the acts and they are going down a storm.

We do only offer 2 options on these events to remain v.competitively priced – all the same one should reasonably expect to enjoy both the meal and breakfast. I will ensure that your feedback is shared with our team.

Best Regards,

General Manager.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed at The Village Hotel in Walsall last night. Overall it had good and bad parts but the bad parts unfortunately ruined my stay.

Booking was no problem, I made a meal reservation at the time of booking and asked if there was anything to do to make the stay more special as it was for my partner's birthday - which they did and there were balloons and a card in the room upon arrival which was a nice touch.

Pros - the bed was comfortable, the food in the resturant came out quickly and the reception staff were polite and friendly. Good choice of channels on the TV.

Cons - The staff forgot to being our drinks out with the meal. I went up to ask if I could wait and take them to the table myself and was told that no, they would be brought over. They weren't - we had to chase drinks a further 2 times as by this stage, our food had long come out with no drinks and we were parched!!

Saw a member of staff spill some chips fresh out of the kitchen onto the floor and then didn't take the plate back to the kitchen to top it back up, he just continued to take the plate to the table minus half a pot of chips. Nice.... he also dropped cutlerty too.

The fan coming from the bathroom was very loud - it turned off if you took the key card out of the holder but then obviously you lose the electricity, lights etc.

We had to ask twice for drinks at breakfast (new staff) these were slammed onto the table with no apology.

The bed was very comfortable but unfortunately our room was placed above what I can only imagine was the pub and resturant. Loud guests screaming, laughing, shouting outside the front of the hotel which felt like they were having a party in our room. This went on until around 4am? I was shocked no staff asked them to be quiet (we couldn't have been the only ones to be disturbed) seriously you should put some signs up or something asking guests to have a bit of respect. Blaring music from downstairs until the early hours. Music started up again at 7am for breakfast I assume it was. Terrible terrible terrible nights sleep.

The room was swealtering hot even when we turned the heat off. A note was put under the door which seemed to suggest a £1 charity donation was being asked to be added to my bill - after just a few hours sleep this wasn't great reading.

The place looks great downstairs but I would need to hear of massive improvements before staying here again :(

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Heather H, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear Suparuku,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.I am pleased to see that there are many aspects that meet with your approval.

Please accept my personal apology that there were areas that were less favourable.

Please contact me on : heather.hoskins@village-hotels.com to discuss further and to allow me the opportunity to endeavour to return your faith in us.

Best Regards,
General Manager,

Reviewed 17 January 2014

My monthly leisure membership fee has just gone up (now £43/month), so I felt now was a good time to review the facilities. On a positive note, the club has long opening hours and the staff are helpful and efficient. The gym has been regularly updated over the years (I’ve been a member for 8) and has a good range of equipment and there is little need to wait. The 25m swimming pool is also very nice and clean and I use it regularly, along with the steam room and sauna. The sauna and steam room have recently been refurbished, but the sauna seems to be constantly swimming in water – why?

The main deficiency with the club is the changing facilities and this is where I would like to see some of my £43 spent. In the last 8 years I haven’t noticed any updating here, apart from a new sun shower. The lockers are starting to get old and many lack coat hangers or locker keys and although the cleaning staff do a great job, some of the tiling is just old and therefore looks dirty – there are also loose tiles in places, such as the toilet cubicles. This area needs revamping and re-decorating to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the club and facilities at other Village leisure clubs.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed here as we were attending a function and decided to go for an Upper Deck room, although the bed was really comfortable the room was on the small side and overlooked the air conditioning units. There are no children allowed in this part of the accommodation so we had a lovely lie in. You get 'Take Home Toiletries' and a 'Starbucks' refreshment package although we only had decaf coffee so had to ask for regular and this wasn't Starbucks!! I don't know if its worth the extra £20 that we paid for an Upper Deck room as haven't tried a standard one but it didn't really seem to be.
The staff in all areas were brilliant, really friendly and helpful and the service was more like that you'd expect in a smaller hotel.
Location is easy to get to as its seconds off the motorway.
Our lie in meant we missed breakfast (!) and we didn't use the pool or gym but did see the pool which looked big for a hotel pool.
i would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We were welcomed warmly at the hotel. My husband and I had upgraded to their Upperdeck offering - what a disappointment. Might as well have stayed in the standard room for the extra that we received - shampoo and soap and one sachet of ordinary coffee and six decaff sachets between the two of us and when we did make a cup we had to sit on the bed to drink it because there was no where else in the room where you could put your cup down. Oh I forgot we also had a biscuit to share between the two of us and two tea bags. As we were there for a family reunion the focus was very much on the get together over the evening meal so there was little point dwelling on the poor value represented in the Upperdeck room - but oh dear the evening meal just compounded the earlier disappointment another massive massive disappointment - poorly cooked and representing very poor quality for money. Still we were together as a family and we enjoyed ourselves. So why am I complaining now - well the following morning I mentioned the lack of coffee and team making facilities to the reception staff when I was booking out - they were very apologetic and professional and even offered to buy me a cup of coffee. I thought no more of it . However so why am I doing this review - I received an e mail this morning from another member of their staff defending all aspects of the concerns I had - what do they say - the customer is always right - it appears not - at the Village Hotel they are always right.

Room Tip: Do not book the Upperdeck - you get very little extra for the additional cost
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsall
0 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Walsall
Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10
5 mi away
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham Walsall
Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley
Best Western Birmingham Walsall Barons Court Hotel

Been to Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall? Share your experiences!