“Sean du Toit”

Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Walsall
“Sean du Toit”
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Convenient location, average breakfast, helpful staff. Convenient restaurant on site for late arrival, but no mushy peas as promised on menu. The room was clean and also made up well during the stay. Will most likely use it again

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Heather H, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Sean D,

Thanks for your review.

I responded sometime ago and it has popped up again - will make sure we don't run out of mushy peas in the future. (not to my taste ..... but stil!!:))

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed in the hotel on the 28th feb. The online price was £70 but before I could book my phone cut out on me. I arrived at the hotel just past 12 and paid £85. The lady at the desk was the most miserable person I had ever met. I explained my work uses the hotel and I wanted to order my guests one final drink before the taxi arrived. I could get a drink but not guests, was the reply I got. No toothbrush kits or shaving kits were available. I checked out at 7am in the morning. The must be the worst place for service and I want warn you to stay clear. The holiday inn express would have been a better option.

Kevin Sidhu

• Stayed February 2014
Heather H, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Kevin,

Thank you for posting your review. You are absolutely correct that we should stock items of everyday use for sale to guests - I have ensure that this has been rectified, thank you for letting me know.

Our rates due change automatically 4 times a day dependant on occupancy so it is very possible that this was the case when you arrived.

Do feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss the item about service times as you do not intimate what time this was I am unable to comment and we are not licensed 24hours for non residents.

Again- thank you for your time.
General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Walsall hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This review is primarily for medics or allied health professionals who are attending a course at Manor Hospital. I attended ATLS in March 2014.

Manor Hospital suggests a Premier Inn much closer to the hospital but you have to pay for parking there.

In summary, I imagine that people will look for similar things that I looked for -

1) Walking distance to hospital.
2) Free parking.
3) Decent hotel facilities.

So here are the positive (first) and then the negative points for this hotel:

POSITIVE:

1) It is walking distance to the hospital (0.9 miles). It takes about 15 minutes to walk it. Which is fine except if the weather is crap.

2) Parking is free.

3) The rooms are clean and relatively spacious.

4) Wi-Fi is free.

5) Reception staff were polite and deferential.

NEGATIVE:

1) Do not confuse this with a De Vere hotel. It might have been in the past, but it is now a VILLAGE Resort hotel.

I now know that - rather than quiet, understated luxury which I associate with the De Vere brand - the VILLAGE brand means a weird sort of Virgin Active meets Weatherspoons meets Premier Inn vibe. It is busy (and not with hotel residents but with drunks and sweaty gym freaks) and noisy.

2) There was a "function" booked on the weekend I stayed there meaning blasting music blaring until 0130 in the morning on the Sat/Sun. This naturally prevented any sleep. This was particularly annoying given that my ATLS exam started at 0800 the same morning. Despite calling reception, nothing was done about the noise. I doubt there was anything they could do given that they had rented the ground floor facilities out for the "function".

3) Wi-Fi does not work with Apple products (e.g. iPhone).

4) The showers are "low-flow". Very unsatisfying.

5) There is no individual room control for air-conditioning. Helpfully they have a desk fan. How primitive.

6) They have an "Upper Deck" selection of rooms whereby you pay an extra £20 a night and they provide a room with a decent TV and Sky Movies (amongst other things). What they fail to tell you is that this means that the normal rooms (like the one I stayed in) have a crap TV with a malfunctioning stereo sound function (randomly increasing in volume and then decreasing), have no pay-per-view options at all and have the crappiest selection of FreeView channels I have ever seen. Why on earth they can't provide the full selection of FreeView is beyond me.

7) The room service menu has about 5 items on it - and looks about as appetizing as a Harvester menu.

8) The gym and swimming pool are overrun with non-hotel residents making it far less attractive an asset. And this is not clear to people booking rooms.

9) There is no mini-fridge in the room.

10) There is no safe in the room.

In summary, I spent much of the trip (especially the horrendous Saturday night/Sunday morning) staring out the window at the serene and peaceful looking Holiday Inn Express right next door.

Room Tip: Room 138 looks out over the car park. Which is better than looking out over the ducting out back.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sid S,

Thank you for posting your review.

Walsall has always been a Village Hotel and we are very proud of our vibrant fully inclusive environment where people can enjoy all the facilites that we have under one roof. I personally have never had an issue with ipdad/phone using our wifi.

Please accept my given apology that our product and service did not meet your personal needs.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

me and my boyfriend stayed here for one night, we really enjoyed our stay and everything was enjoyable. we didn't stop at the hotel for a meal but the breakfast was lovely, staff were very friendly and helpful. the only problem with the stay overall was the music at night as there seemed to be a party downstairs in the function room. this did affect our sleep as it did go on till after 2am.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Paigee,

thanks for the review - glad you had a good stay hope to see you soon!

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed on business in March, I have never been a fan of large chain hotels, but as it goes, Village Hotel's feel far more friendly than most. I also used one of the board rooms the following day for a meeting, tea and coffee facilities are average at best, cheap tables and terrible lighting. Dinner was not good, The chicken was really nice, but the flat bread was like a crisp and the salad was just a pile of grated carrot. HOWEVER The staff were excellent, professional and friendly and when I complained about he evening meal whilst checking out the manager removed the cost, so you can's ask more than that, I will use this Hotel again as it's a great location for North Birmingham. I had a Upper deck room, which was clean and well decorated, it's just these modern hotel's don't leave you much room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Scottjone41,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel - glad that you found our staff friendly.

I am glad that the Manager you spoke to was able to resolve your situation to your satisfaction. I will ensure the feedback gets shared with the team.

London
Reviewed 4 March 2014

At one time I was sitting eating my dinner to the sound of two televisions blaring out football, background music, a telephone and a hoover ( the latter inches from where I was sitting). The downstairs pub/lounge area is sensory bombardment. The only 'quieter' place was by the foyer but this was drab and dull, so I went up to my room for the rest of the evening. So if you are looking for a hotel where you can de-stress rather than feeling you are in an amusement arcade with lots of slot machines avoid this. Bedrooms nice, but I will certainly never be back to any hotel in this chain.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Heather H, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Elise4000,

Thank you for taking the time to place your review following your recent stay with us.

We do have a number of secluded and more peaceful areas within our dining area - please accept me apologies that they were not immediately obvious to you.

Again - thank you for your comments.
West Yorks, UK
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed in the hotel last November as part of a Christmas shopping weekend so it was a brief one night stay. However, we were really impressed with the room - clean and spacious, as the title suggests and more than adequate for an overnight stay. We did not have chance to check out the leisure facilities as our stay was so brief but the rest of the hotel, bar and restaurant and reception areas were again clean and welcoming and we were pleasantly surprised given the price of the package.
I would not hesitate to stay in a Village hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear LP_WestYorks-UK,

Thanks for posting your review - dont leave it until next Christmas until we see you! Birmingham has lots of fab shopping (and other) experiences to offer any time of the year.

Mind you - I lived in West Yorkshire for a few years so understand why you may not want to drag yourself away.

Heather Hoskins,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsall
Holiday Inn Express Walsall
Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham Walsall
Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley
Best Western Birmingham Walsall Barons Court Hotel

Been to Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall? Share your experiences!