“Good Value, clean hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall

Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Walsall
Crawley
“Good Value, clean hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Excellent facilities, though pool and gym open to locals so can get busy. Pub and grill have a sufficient selection for a week on business and a choice of full or 'to go' breakfast. Make sure you get a room away from the front of the hotel if you're a rabid anti-smoker like me because it drifts up from the front of the building.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Heather H, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Consuela_67,

Thank you for your review - I am very pleased to read you found our hotel to be good value and clean.
Heather Hoskins,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

My son and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and had very enjoyable stay. I can not believe what other people are writing about this hotel, I had to check that this was the same hotel we stayed in.
From the moment we stepped in this hotel we were impressed. First impressions count so much and the young lady at reception was warm, friendly and very professional. I think her name was Angela.
Every member of staff we spoke with was polite and helpful. From the staff in the pub and the friendly leisure club guys to the hard working restaurant waiting staff. A special mention to the ladies who clean all the rooms, every time we passed them in the corridor there was always a friendly hello and they all stopped what they were doing and stepped to one side to allow us to pass. Okay "BIG DEAL" you may think but actually it was really polite and makes you feel like a guest in a good hotel.
We enjoyed the pub grub and recommend the beef madras, it was so good. Breakfast was good and even if it was a bit mad on Sunday morning, the staff (again) really couldn`t do enough for us.
Nice touch also by the lady at reception to allow us a delayed check out because my son really wanted to go swimming.
I have stayed at a lot of village hotels for business and generally like them as they are always good value for money. This hotel is up there with my favourites and we will definitely be staying here again and to all the staff at this hotel..Thank You...you gave us a great weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KellysinKos
Heather H, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear KellysinKos,

Great to have your review, glad you had such a great time - I will be sure that Angela gets to see your kind words.

You just inspired me to try the Beef Madras as I haven't had it yet and conclude it was superb! We hope to see you back soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Convenient location, average breakfast, helpful staff. Convenient restaurant on site for late arrival, but no mushy peas as promised on menu. The room was clean and also made up well during the stay. Will most likely use it again

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sean D,

Thanks for your review.

I responded sometime ago and it has popped up again - will make sure we don't run out of mushy peas in the future. (not to my taste ..... but stil!!:))

Best Regards,
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed in the hotel on the 28th feb. The online price was £70 but before I could book my phone cut out on me. I arrived at the hotel just past 12 and paid £85. The lady at the desk was the most miserable person I had ever met. I explained my work uses the hotel and I wanted to order my guests one final drink before the taxi arrived. I could get a drink but not guests, was the reply I got. No toothbrush kits or shaving kits were available. I checked out at 7am in the morning. The must be the worst place for service and I want warn you to stay clear. The holiday inn express would have been a better option.

Kevin Sidhu

• Stayed February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Heather H, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Kevin,

Thank you for posting your review. You are absolutely correct that we should stock items of everyday use for sale to guests - I have ensure that this has been rectified, thank you for letting me know.

Our rates due change automatically 4 times a day dependant on occupancy so it is very possible that this was the case when you arrived.

Do feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss the item about service times as you do not intimate what time this was I am unable to comment and we are not licensed 24hours for non residents.

Again- thank you for your time.
General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Walsall hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

This review is primarily for medics or allied health professionals who are attending a course at Manor Hospital. I attended ATLS in March 2014.

Manor Hospital suggests a Premier Inn much closer to the hospital but you have to pay for parking there.

In summary, I imagine that people will look for similar things that I looked for -

1) Walking distance to hospital.
2) Free parking.
3) Decent hotel facilities.

So here are the positive (first) and then the negative points for this hotel:

POSITIVE:

1) It is walking distance to the hospital (0.9 miles). It takes about 15 minutes to walk it. Which is fine except if the weather is crap.

2) Parking is free.

3) The rooms are clean and relatively spacious.

4) Wi-Fi is free.

5) Reception staff were polite and deferential.

NEGATIVE:

1) Do not confuse this with a De Vere hotel. It might have been in the past, but it is now a VILLAGE Resort hotel.

I now know that - rather than quiet, understated luxury which I associate with the De Vere brand - the VILLAGE brand means a weird sort of Virgin Active meets Weatherspoons meets Premier Inn vibe. It is busy (and not with hotel residents but with drunks and sweaty gym freaks) and noisy.

2) There was a "function" booked on the weekend I stayed there meaning blasting music blaring until 0130 in the morning on the Sat/Sun. This naturally prevented any sleep. This was particularly annoying given that my ATLS exam started at 0800 the same morning. Despite calling reception, nothing was done about the noise. I doubt there was anything they could do given that they had rented the ground floor facilities out for the "function".

3) Wi-Fi does not work with Apple products (e.g. iPhone).

4) The showers are "low-flow". Very unsatisfying.

5) There is no individual room control for air-conditioning. Helpfully they have a desk fan. How primitive.

6) They have an "Upper Deck" selection of rooms whereby you pay an extra £20 a night and they provide a room with a decent TV and Sky Movies (amongst other things). What they fail to tell you is that this means that the normal rooms (like the one I stayed in) have a crap TV with a malfunctioning stereo sound function (randomly increasing in volume and then decreasing), have no pay-per-view options at all and have the crappiest selection of FreeView channels I have ever seen. Why on earth they can't provide the full selection of FreeView is beyond me.

7) The room service menu has about 5 items on it - and looks about as appetizing as a Harvester menu.

8) The gym and swimming pool are overrun with non-hotel residents making it far less attractive an asset. And this is not clear to people booking rooms.

9) There is no mini-fridge in the room.

10) There is no safe in the room.

In summary, I spent much of the trip (especially the horrendous Saturday night/Sunday morning) staring out the window at the serene and peaceful looking Holiday Inn Express right next door.

Room Tip: Room 138 looks out over the car park. Which is better than looking out over the ducting out back.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Sid S,

Thank you for posting your review.

Walsall has always been a Village Hotel and we are very proud of our vibrant fully inclusive environment where people can enjoy all the facilites that we have under one roof. I personally have never had an issue with ipdad/phone using our wifi.

Please accept my given apology that our product and service did not meet your personal needs.

Best Regards,
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

me and my boyfriend stayed here for one night, we really enjoyed our stay and everything was enjoyable. we didn't stop at the hotel for a meal but the breakfast was lovely, staff were very friendly and helpful. the only problem with the stay overall was the music at night as there seemed to be a party downstairs in the function room. this did affect our sleep as it did go on till after 2am.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Paigee,

thanks for the review - glad you had a good stay hope to see you soon!

Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed on business in March, I have never been a fan of large chain hotels, but as it goes, Village Hotel's feel far more friendly than most. I also used one of the board rooms the following day for a meeting, tea and coffee facilities are average at best, cheap tables and terrible lighting. Dinner was not good, The chicken was really nice, but the flat bread was like a crisp and the salad was just a pile of grated carrot. HOWEVER The staff were excellent, professional and friendly and when I complained about he evening meal whilst checking out the manager removed the cost, so you can's ask more than that, I will use this Hotel again as it's a great location for North Birmingham. I had a Upper deck room, which was clean and well decorated, it's just these modern hotel's don't leave you much room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Scottjone41,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel - glad that you found our staff friendly.

I am glad that the Manager you spoke to was able to resolve your situation to your satisfaction. I will ensure the feedback gets shared with the team.

General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsall
Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley
Premier Inn Walsall Town Centre Hotel
Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10
Holiday Inn Express Walsall
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
#1 of 1 in Aldridge
Premier Inn Walsall (M6, J10) Hotel

Been to Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall? Share your experiences!