“Good ”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Walsall
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Good ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Just got back after a short break with my family, initially was not good, had to change to change rooms, but this was not an issue, the hotel was very accommodating and we were very grateful all in all a very good stay

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank p d
Heather H, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear PD,

Good to have your review - glad we were able to accommodate and resolve issue.

We hope to welcome you and the family again soon - there will be great summer deals on our website to keep an eye out for.

Regards,
Heather Hoskins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Compton Dundon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Had 7 nights here in July with work and found the hotel to be very good overall. A particular highlight were the majority of staff who were warm courteous and bubbly. They really made my time at the hotel very pleasant.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable and other than the odd inconsiderate door slammer that you get in every hotel, quiet. Bed is not expansive but for one person was comfortable and the linen is nice. A choice of pillows would be a nice touch - only had 4 feather ones during my stay. Perhaps I should have asked if they had any other options. But my GODFATHERS are the rooms hot!! We have had a spell of glorious weather but there was just no way of getting the room cool. I really do think they have missed a trick not installing air con in their upper deck rooms at the very least. The security catches on the windows meant you couldn't get any air into the rooms at all which was just such a shame.

Room service was acceptable... But the food is not worth raving about sadly. Not bad enough to make me escape to find something edible somewhere else, but limited and a bit boring...especially after 7 days.

Ended up buying my own porridge pots to make breakfast in my room each morning as none in the restaurant. Spotted another reviewer mentioning this so perhaps it's worth considering?

Wifi and sky were a really nice 'home from home' touch. Toiletries were nice.

If they could make the changes about the room temperatures and food I think this could be nigh on one of the best 'all rounder' hotels I have stayed in with work for a long time.

• Stayed July 2014
Hi Eleanor,

Thanks for the almost perfect score!

Very pleased that the staff made your stay enjoyable for you - they really are our best asset.

When or if you are with us again - we do porridge, it is cooked to order from the kitchen and as we do understand that food can be a bit 'samey' for long stay guests we are more than happy to accommodate requests.
Just let one of the team know - and if we have got it you can have it.

Heather Hoskins.
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed for one night on business. The hotel is just of Jct 10 of the M6 southbound easy enough to find. Its a large soulless building but plenty of free parking available, no silly tickets and faffing around.

The room was large and clean although non smoking I suspect either a member of staff or previous guest had been smoking as the windows were open and cigarette buts on the flat roof outside - given they have a warning of charges sign in the room ....... There was a large flat screen TV and an iron + board which would be useful on a longer stay not common these days. Free wi fi throughout the hotel was a positive.

The bed was comfy enough and I did sleep very well much better than I expected. Tad on the small side and when you went to sit on it it shot across the floor which was slightly unnerving - I couldn't find any brakes on the wheels !!!

Bathroom was again very clean and it was nice to have a bath, a range of toiletries were provided in dispenser format but I brought my own. Sadly the shower was not much more than a trickle in strength and wasn't a refreshing start to the day.

I didn't think the rooms were anything special (to justify the price tag) but nothing offensive either except the slight whiff of fag smoke.

There was a starbucks and a Victory pub for refreshments and food. I had a perfectly decent meal the staff were friendly and attentive but the bar felt like a sports bar which just wasn't my cup of tea esp as a solo female traveller.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try the leisure facilities esp the pool as its a 25m pool which is an unusual find in a hotel these days - a pool you can actually swim in who'd a thought it !!!

All in all I would probably stay again if I could get a better rate (to try the pool out !!!) but wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gingercat_2010
Dear gingercat_2010,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that your stay in the main was positive and that you acknowledge our friendly staff.

I will consider your comments regarding the 'feel' of the dining areas as we are about to change some of the offerings in this area.

I hope you do consider us when you are next in the area and you will be able to experience first hand any improvements we may make.

Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

The hotel is in a great location with good facilities and nice rooms. However, the team have let them down on this occasion. Waiting to be sat down in the restaurant at 5.15. Ignored by everybody. Go to reception, restaurant opens at six. But we can eat in the bar. Fair enough. Ignored at the bar for ten minutes. Have to go back to reception to ask what's going on. Finally get to order, half Roast Chicken which we were going to have takes 40 minutes when the restaurants shut. Not sure why you'd have it on a menu that's on all day. Main let down the Team attitude. Stayed here quite a few times before for work stuff and there's never been an issue. Friendly team etc. Really disappointed. If not for the motorway being jammed would have gone elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear grghirst,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Please accept my perdonal apology that we did not live up to your expectations on this ocassion.

As you have testified yourself this has not been your normal experience. I fI can be of any assistance on a possible future stay please do not hesitiate to contact me directly:

heather.hoskins@village-hotels.com

Heather Hoskins,

Travellers are raving about these Walsall hotels

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here for one night while attending a gig at the nearby Robin 2. We had never stayed in this chain of hotels but we would have no hesitation in doing so in future. Reasonable price, on the whole friendly efficient staff, good food in the Victory and for breakfast the next morning. Clean comfortable rooms, mind you I wish they would provide 2 towels when 2 people are staying. We used the pool as we checked in early. Had a lovely swim and dip in the spa pool all nice and clean and not too crowded as we managed it just before the family swim session started at 3pm. I accidently left a ring in the room which was both valuable in terms of cost and sentimental value and did not realise until I was about an hour away. My husband called the hotel and they said they would get in touch with housekeeping. They called back about an hour later to say it had been found in the room and they kept it safe until my husband was able to drop in and collect it later that day. Good to know there are honest people still in the world. Thank you. I will look to book again in the future and will consider this chain instead of Premier Inn which is where I would usually book for a one night stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reevesgirl,

Great to hear you had such a good stay and we saved the day - all in one.
To be reunited with favourite sentimental items can be such a relief!

We will see you next time you are at a gig - or you may also consider soem of the free live acts we have in our Victory Pub - they are getting quite a following you know!

Thanks for the review,
Heather Hoskins.
Bilston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We have regularly stayed at the Village Dudley since they refurbished and had Upper Deck rooms which has meant we haven't stayed so often at Walsall. However, now the hotel has also been refurbished we stayed there again in March 2014. If you fancy a little bit of luxury it is well worth spending a little bit extra and staying in one of these rooms. We love the pub and pub food and the breakfasts are very good too. If I had to say one negative thing about the breakfast it was that there were not enough tables for the people who wanted to eat at the time we visited. this could be a problem if you were tight on time but other than that all very good indeed.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SAH1877,

Thank you for taking hte time to review our hotel.

Great to read that you loved our Upper Deck bedrooms - they are a firm favourite all round. We hope to welcoem you back to Walsall soon.

Regards
Heather Hoskins
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I used this hotel for meetings and interviews and found the facilities perfect. there is a great starbucks with friendly and polite staff and the location next to the motorway is a bonus. The gym is well equipped and great for any keen gym user.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Simon,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel - glad you enjoyed - we hope to see you again soon.

General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsall
Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley
Premier Inn Walsall Town Centre Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Walsall
Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Premier Inn Walsall (M6, J10) Hotel

Been to Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall? Share your experiences!