“Not impressed”

Holiday Inn Express Walsall
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Walsall
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

If it's basic you want it's basic you get!
Even prisoners detained at her majesties pleasure we are led to believe get tv with freeview well that's more than you get here!
8 channels that's it!
Bed was as soft and saggy and so low down you may as well be on the floor
My advice pay the extra and book in to the proper holiday Inn across the way
I would have done if they were not full

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
DGMExWalsall, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walsall, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

I am sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. Our Televisions currently have some Freeview channels including news channels, radio channels, regular channels and movies. Once these are replaced, before the end of the year then we will have a greater number of channels. If you do decide to stay with us again and experience any problems such as you appeared to have done with the bed, please let us know straight away and we will fix it or change your room whenever possible.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Unlike other reviewers we didn't enjoy our stay here. It compares poorly with other HIE hotels. As soon as we entered our room we noticed the smell. We thought it was smoke so I went and asked at reception for another room. The receptionist didn't apologise and in fact looked rather disgruntled that I had even asked. Our new room also smelt and we decided it must be an overpowering air freshner. Never had this problem before in any hotel, it really did smell very very strong. The room was cramped for a family of 4. Our night was disturbed by noise from kids in the corridor at midnight, we should have called reception.
The area for breakfast is far too small for the size of the hotel so on a busy sunday morning it was extremely busy and cramped. We struggled to find space for our son's wheelchair. The staff looked harrassed as they tried to keep the breakfast stocked. The selection was poor and instant scrambled eggs tasteless.
We stayed in the HIE Preston South just a few days before and had a totally different experience so we're not overly fussy.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
GMExWalsall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walsall, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

I am sorry to read that your stay fell short of the service and experience you expected and i will share your review with the team.

Our breakfast area can become very busy when we are full however, the staff work hard to ensure all items are replenished and seating is available. We also advise guests upon check in that breakfast may be busy during certain time periods, especially when we have large groups in house.

I do hope that you will give us a second chance when you are next in the area.

Kind Regards
Victoria Glover

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed here two nights February 13 and February 14 to attend friends' wedding. Everything was excellent. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included and it was fantastic. Scrambled eggs, beans, sausages, fruit, toast, cereal. Everything was spotless. No complaints at all. There is a bus to town at the end of the road, about a five minute walk. And there is also a bar in the hotel with excellent prices. Loved every minute of our stay. Well done to the team here.

Room Tip: We had a top floor room that had an extra pull out sofa bed, loads of room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for giving us 5 stars. We are really glad you enjoyed your recent stay and do hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards
Victoria Glover

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed here for just one pre-booked night and couldn't complain for the rate I paid. The bedroom was spacious with good lighting, a choice of soft or firm pillows, a sofa and air conditioning. A good, modern shower room completed the suite. The only minor comment was that the TV could do with being replaced by a flat screen. Wi-fi was free and offered a strong signal and good spreed. Breakfast was included which would best be described as continental with sausages and scrambled eggs. All in all I'd certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
DGMExWalsall, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walsall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you for your review I am pleased that you will stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

This hotel was perfectly situated for my needs - right next to the M6 and a good place to break my drive from Scotland to Devon. There is a Village Hotel opposite where you can get a meal in their gastro-pub. The hotel is very modern and very clean; the staff were very welcoming, helpful and friendly. My room was the usual Holiday Inn Express room, so again, perfect for my needs.

My only problem was that I got no sleep due to corridor noise from other guests. There was a group of youngsters down one end of the corridor who had obviously returned from a night out on the town and on the other side of me there was a family who were staying in multiple rooms and who went in and out of each other's rooms all night long - they were knocking on the doors and letting them slam behind them all night - right up to 7AM !

Why do people rent hotel rooms if they don't intend to sleep? It was important for me to sleep as I had to continue my long drive the next morning. If I had been able to get the sleep I needed this hotel would have been perfect.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am pleased that our Hotel was perfect for your needs and provided a convenient break for your journey.. It is disappointing though that less than courteous guests disrupted your sleep. Our Night Staff are very proactive at dealing with any complaints of noise and will take all the necessary steps to ensure guests are not disturbed.
I do hope that you will elect to stay with us again and if such a rare disturbance should ever happen again please urgently contact our staff via your in room telephone so they can immediately address the problem.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and listened to my every (silly) request. The room was right next to a busy road, but was very well insulated. Nice bar with decent food in the evening. Breakfast was as good as can be expected in a Holiday Inn Express.

Very conveniently located close to the Motorway.

Gets my seal of approval !!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
DGMExWalsall, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walsall, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for your endorsement and high praise of our staff. Our catering staff are especially pleased as they have recently changed the menu and it’s great to get encouraging feedback.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Arriving late at night (1am) the last thing you want is any hassle or problems. And, to be fair to the guy on reception, he was fast, efficient and got me to my room as quickly as possible. However, once there I had the distinct impression that I was not the first person to use the room that night. There were coffee sachets on the floor, no duvet on the bed and the toilet had been used, but not flushed. As it was 1am, I was very tired and there was a duvet on the bed settee, I decided to jump into bed and worry about complaining in the morning. Again, to be fair to the staff, I was offered an apology, and a massive discount, which went a long way to easing the disappointment. However, it was far below the usual Holiday Inn experience.

Room Tip: because it is next to the motorway, it will always suffer from traffic noise
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walsall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear PeteDavies_13,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the cleanliness of the room prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We were glad to see the staff was able to address this with you in an acceptable manner. We were also pleased to see the perfect scores for Service, Sleep Quality, and Value. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsall
Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10
Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall
Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham Walsall
Best Western Birmingham Walsall Barons Court Hotel
Novotel Wolverhampton
Novotel Wolverhampton
#7 of 21 in Wolverhampton
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa

Been to Holiday Inn Express Walsall? Share your experiences!