“LACKS ATTENTION TO DETAIL AT TIMES” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury

Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Tewkesbury
Coventry, United Kingdom
“LACKS ATTENTION TO DETAIL AT TIMES”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Good facilities, comfortable accommodation, and could be exceptionable. We have stayed here before and had different experiences being particularly good last Autumn. All that is needed to improve the overall experience is to sort out the control of dining facilities. The running of the restaurant at breakfast and dinner seems a touch chaotic and needs strong overall control. Staff work hard but need direction. There is a need too to control noise from guests who have returned to their rooms after late night celebration. Doors close noisily and I was woken several times in the early hours.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

PuckrupHall, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear christrev
Many thanks for p
osting a review of our Hotel on this website. I was pleased to hear that you had visited us before and enjoy the facilities and accommodation.

I have noted your comments with regards the dining experience and I will provide your feedback in full to our Food and Beverage Manager to ensure that everyone is consistent with how service should be provided to our valued guests.

I do hope you will be returning again at some time in the future and thank you for your feedback.

Lynn Bishop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

As diamond members we are obviously very loyal to the Hilton brand traveling as we do around the world..but the UK is very poor at upgrades and looking after it's loyal customers. We chose Puckrup Hall for many reasons....it's location and it's extensive grounds..on checking in we went through the usual no upgrades available and were given a tiny room in the main hotel which we rejected..eventually we were moved to the hall itself and although at some stage it would have been a very grand hall sadly it is not anymore! We were given a room on the top floor and there is no lift so we struggled unaided to get our bags to the room...the room was ok, not sure how it was graded. The bathroom was small but at least we had a reasonable view of the grounds...the hall itself lacks any life despite some grand looking rooms on the ground floor...it almost looks like someone just moved out and left odd bits of furniture behind, no flowers or ornaments - it could be so grand come on Hilton!!! Unfortunately I had a bad fall in the bath as there was no slip mat although the manager came to see me shortly after my fall due to my husband filing in an accident form that was the end of that even when we booked out no one asked if I was OK....all round service is poor staff look unhappy and staff levels appear low as we found out while waiting to be served on the terrace for lunch.....so didn't eat again in the hotel went elsewhere!!!!!

1 Thank Kate S
PuckrupHall, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Kate S

Thank you for posting a review of our Hotel on this website.

May I ask that you call me directly to discuss the content of your review please?

The Hotel telephone number is 01684 29600, please ask for Lynn Bishop, should I not be available, please leave a message with reception and I will call you back.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Hotel is located in a very pleasant setting in well kept grounds which sit alongside the golf course. Pleasant and helpful staff on reception, room was a good size with the added bonus of a balcony which looked out over the rear of the hotel and grounds. Breakfast was fine with plenty of choices, there were no eggs left when we arrived to eat but freshly cooked ones were forth coming with no problem. We had no issues with noise from the golf course maintenance, I imagine over looking the grounds as the rear was the bonus instead of a golf view! Pleasant welcoming entrance into hotel, unfortunately the lift was out of service during our stay (not the fault of the hotel) but were grateful we were only on the first floor. It would be nice to see the hotel provide one or two free hours internet to each room before charging (if it is not included in the deal) as some only need to use it for a short period. We didn't have time to sample the pool and spa but looked very nice. We would quite happily stay at the hotel again when we are in the area.

Room Tip: Had a balcony room over looking the rear grounds and the back of the original hotel, so no golf view...
Dear Beachcroft06

Thank you so much for posting a review of our Hotel on this website.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed Puckrup Hall’s location and surroundings.

I will pass on your comments to the Chef about the breakfast who I know will be delighted to receive them. Our Hilton Breakfast does score very highly on our customer reviews.

I do apologise about the lift being out of action during your stay unfortunately this was out of our control.

It is pleasing to note that you will be returning to the Hotel in the future when you are in the area and hopefully you will be able to sample our LivingWell Health Club and Spa facilities.

Grosmont, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed one night, in the old part of the complex.

Beds are comfortable, and facilities and amenities are good.

Breakfast is a real treat.

Wifi not as good as it should be though.

I would stay ther again and would recommend it to you

Room Tip: Ask for a room named after a month or season, which are numbered in the 300's
Dear kmc1702

Many thanks for posting a review of our Hotel and for your kind comments which I shall cascade to the staff.

I am pleased you enjoyed one of our rooms in the Manor House and I have made a note of your comments about the wi-fi which has already been logged with our provider.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the not too distant future.

London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The two night conference stay at the hotel was so OK that I didn't feel inspired to review it either way which I guess is a good sign. However it was almost 2 weeks later when I realised that I hadn't been sent an invoice, having selected the self-checkout option, that I decided to write.

First of all trying to speak to the right person at Hilton was a maze of automated phone answering systems which ended up with someone in a foreign call centre who couldn't help me (TIP: select 1- Hotel Operator, perhaps the obvious!). Then when I got through to the hotel's reception to ask where my invoice was, I was told 'oh we didn't have your email address'.. OK so why does the form you fill in for self-checkout give you the option of a postal address (which I had given).

Then to add a bit of insult to injury, the email which accompanied the invoice (which was sent within minutes of my call last night) said: "We have noted your anticipated departure today and have enclosed an itemised statement of your account as of this morning."

Just a bit of a niggle that was totally unecessary.. Just shows how one little lack of attention to detail can colour the whole experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Great location just off the M50 and on the A38 to Tekesbury, hotel sits on a very nice golf course and is a combination of the old hall and a new section which comprises the main block.
As Diamond card holders booked points and cash and an e standby for an upgrade, on arrival no upgrade and room provided was dark dingy and overlooking rear car park. On returning to reception was advised that a room had become available in the old house which I checked out and decided to take although it was up two flights of stairs and no elevator but there was a view over the front lawns and the windows opened (there is no air con but fan provided) As we were there for three nights it was better than what was on offer in the main block. Luggage carrying is DIY as there are no porters to assist...good exercise though!
Stay was reasonable but nothing exceptional, woke the next morning to lawn mowers at 8.15 am followed by strimmers, tried breakfast one morning at 9.30 some food left but hot buffet did not look particularly appetising and no replacements. Sat in the middle of staff moving tables and chairs and chatting amongst themselves prior to the 10am watershed which did nothing for my humour! Nice dining room but did not bother again...food on the menu is expensive, tried lunch on the first day on the terrace overlooking the greens but service very slow and I was told quite abruptly by the young lady that she was the only one working! Wife asked for creme fraische as per menu for her fruit salad and was told the kitchen did not have any!
We ventured out for food as Tewkesbury is nearby and the village of Twyning which has a nice pub on the river. Room was comfortable enough apart from the lawn mowers on two mornings and the room service staff slamming doors as they began cleaning at 9am. Would have been nice to have a fridge in the room for our own goodies as well!
Bathroom was serviceable, shower over tub but make sure slip mat is in place, we did not have one in the room and the wife slipped quite badly while taking a shower. I did report this to the duty manager but no mention was made of her welfare the next morning when we checked out.
Not sure about a return visit unless I managed to secure a nicer room and from this visit and other reviews that appears to a hit and miss affair...so much for our loyalty to the Hilton brand!

1 Thank ExpatKL88
PuckrupHall, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear ExpatKL88

Thank you very much for posting a review of our Hotel on this website.

As a valued Diamond Hilton Hhonors member we were pleased that we were able to upgrade you to one of our Manor House Rooms which due to the age and this building being a Grade 2 listed building we are not able to install a lift. I am surprised to hear that you were not offered luggage assistance as our receptionist are trained to offer this upon check in. My apologies to you if this was not the case when you checked in.

I have copied your comments into the Heads of Department within the Food and Beverage Departments to ensure there is no repeat of this level of service.

I do hope your wife has made a full recovery and that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our lovely hotel. If you are considering returning at some time in the future, once you have made your reservation, please contact me directly and I will personally oversee your stay. Email lynn.bishop@hilton.com

LynnBishop
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I booked this hotel as the start to our honeymoon - knew it might not be great service when I phoned to arrange for a bottle of sparkly to be put in the room, mentioning that it was the start of the honeymoon and was asked if it was ok to charge it to the credit card I had used for the reservation! So much for the Hotel making it feel special! On arrival we went to our room which was a grand suite with views of the golf course. All seemed ok at this point - we ate in the restaurant that evening and the food offered was of good quality. It all went downhill after this - the following morning we were woken at 7 am with a continual cacophony of noise for the next 3 hours from the maids in the corridor, doors being slammed, other guests shouting and crying, things being moved across the floor above us and to top it all, a lawnmower starting to cut the practice putting green right outside our room at 8 o'clock. As there is no air conditioning and the weather was extremely warm we had to have the windows open although as the windows weren't double glazed it made little difference when they were shut. This noise continued for the remainder of our stay of 3 nights. On checking out of the hotel I was asked the generic question about how our stay was - when I mentioned all of the above the member of staff on duty offered a kind of apology but nothing else, therefore reinforcing my opinion that they receive numerous complaints but don't care. Should have listened to my wife who wanted to leave after the second day to get some sleep! Very disappointing!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank alan k
Dear alan k

Thank you for posting a review on this website.

I am deeply sorry you experienced noise outside your room please rest assured I have spoken to our Head Housekeeper to speak to the maids to ensure they keep their movement and voices to an absolute minimum.

As we are a Hotel and Golf Club we do need to mow the grass early especially in the summer and this should not have taken place before 8am I am again sorry if you were disturbed by this.
Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning in our bedrooms but we do have fans which we are happy to provide.

On a positive note I am pleased you enjoyed the food and your room, and I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back at some time in the future.

Lynn Bishop
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tewkesbury
Tewkesbury Park
The Lygon Arms
#5 of 6 in Broadway
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,138 reviews
Premier Inn Tewkesbury Hotel

Been to Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury? Share your experiences!