“Nice weekend break”
Review of Tewkesbury Park

Tewkesbury Park
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tewkesbury
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Spent a weekend at this hotel for the Tewkesbury Medieval festival which is held in an adjacent field so couldn't be handier. The setting is stunning, surrounded by the golf course and open countryside. The staff I met were all friendly and efficient. My room was clean and tidy and had all that I needed although it got very hot even with the window open at night. The communal areas are tired and worn but I hear are due to be updated. There was handy disabled parking near the reception although only a few spaces. Lovely views over the golf course from my room.

Negatives, my room was a very long way from reception and up two flights of stairs. There is no lift. I had to ask for help to take my suitcase up. As I have had a slipped disc it was no fun negotiating these stairs. The drinks meals and bar meals are all expensive. I paid £5 for a small (very small) glass of rose. Breakfast can be obtained for less than a fiver in Wetherspoons, so I wouldn't pay £12.95. Similarly for evening meals, plus the restaurant seemed very formal. Wifi was a bit hit and miss too.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems ask for a ground floor room as there is no lift.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank NWLadyManchester
Noleen G, General Manager at Tewkesbury Park, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear NWLadyManchester
Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding our hotel i have passed you comments onto our team as this will help us develop our product over the coming months,
we are very pleased that you enjoyed your weekend with us and look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I spent four days and nights here with dinner included.

The location is beautiful, with superb views of the surrounding countryside and the well kept golf course that surrounds the hotel. My room had an external door that opened onto the course, which was fantastic.

The atmosphere of the hotel is old and tired, particularly the interiors, food and drink options - even the music in the dining area didn't venture beyond early 90s.

To list a few annoyances: my shower was broken, bath unusable, room card expired, had enormous waits for bar service, badly cooked steak, poor quality meat and vegetables - on two occasions the beef served was mostly gristle.

In all, the best maintained aspect of the hotel was the golf course and at times it felt like the guests were an inconvenience to the leisure-centre aspect of the hotel. However, the staff were very helpful when you could find them and I felt they would go out of your way to help you.

I would give an average score, but I imagine this shouldn't be the average experience for a four star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alex F

Dear Alex thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review of our hotel.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your time in the area, and we would welcome the chance to show you the improvements we are putting into place over the next few months, i have shared your review with our team so they can understand where we are not achieving the corrects standards.
Thank you once again and we look forward to your next visit

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Whilst I can not disagree with the comments re: hotel being tired and outdated at present, I was told on our visit that there are now new owners who are putting a lot of work into bringing the hotel standards up. Our room was ok, clean and tidy, the bathroom not so and we all thought the breakfast was ok. I would go back there, the hotel has a lot to offer, swimming pool, squash and tennis courts etc and the prices are not astronomical.

1  Thank Fussyfour

Dear Fussyfour
We always welcome constructive feedback concerning our hotel, i have passed on your feedback to our team members to help us improve the standards that we offer.
I hope that when you next return you will see an improvement in all areas of the hotel.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on a 2 night excursion taking in Tewkesbury and Chester (both hotels being Brook Whitehall.
This hotel was fantastic. It is based on a golf course and therefore you are aware from the main streets but they are within easy access.
The views over the golf course and surrounding area are fantastic and the food in the hotel was excellent.
We wholeheartedly recommend a visit to Tewkesbury Cathedral and the shopping street is very quaint consisting of a variety of 16th century to 2oth century buildings which can keep you amused and entertained.
We only stayed for one night but we would have very happily stayed for a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th night at this excellent location.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger W

Dear Roger
Thank you for your feedback regarding our hotel, i am pleased that you enjoyed your stay here and we look forward to seeing you soon

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Just spent one night with my sisters this week at Tewkesbury Park Hotel. Did not take advantage
of the golf club but grounds lovely.
Although in our room and building where we stayed slightly 'tired looking', there was a letter in the brochure explaining that the whole hotel was being done up.
The food was excellent for both meals and the staff absolutely lovely. They could not have gone further out of their way to be kinder.
We had a very relaxing stay.

Dear Joe
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your review and for your very kind comments
we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here for a week on a business retreat and found it to be a very poor hotel. The room was very outdated, the bathroom was dirty with the blowdryer not working, and overall it was a rough stay. The entire hotel was outdated and looked like they hadn't put any money into renovations for decades. Also, the service was poor. There is no help with luggage, no welcome upon arriving, and one evening I tried to order room service but apparently you can't get the same food as the restaurant. I had a nice creme brûlée one night and wanted to order that the next night but apparently room service has their own menu. And it seemed like an imposition to ask for something that wasn't on the menu. The gym also doesn't open till 630, which is a shame because it doesn't give enough time to work out, eat and then get to meetings by 8. The two positives was that the food was decent. It wasn't great, but it was good. And the scenery was beautiful. It's unfortunate that such a beautiful location has to have this hotel on it.

The biggest issue I had out of everything was how terrible the bed was. I don't know if I've slept on a worse bed and I've stayed in countries on five different continents. You could feel every spring in the bed and it was extremely uncomfortable. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express on my final night and this hotel makes Holiday Inn seem like a 5 star hotel.

I hope to never return.

Room Tip: Good luck in finding a good room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jon S
Noleen G, General Manager at Tewkesbury Park, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Jon
Thank you for your recent review.

Firstly may i apologise that the hotel and service was not up to the standard expected, i have passed on your comments to all the relevant team members for them to action immediately.

The Hotel has recently been taken over by a local family who have plans to extensively refurbish the hotel and to improve its standards of service to the highest level this work starts next week and will include the training of all of our staff to the highest standards of customer service.

I hope that when you are next in the area that you will give us a chance to eperience the improvements that have been made across all areas

Thank you once again for your constructive feedback

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hotel is looking very tired and shabby. The decor is dated, as are the amenities. Wall-mounted hairdryers don't cut it these days. There is no information/literature about the hotel, its services and amenities in the room. The website provides the bare minimum of detail. More can be found out from TripAdvisor. The beds were poorly made, sheets not fitting properly and the mattress was well-passed its sell-by date. A roll away bed used for a child was not fit for purpose. Curtains did little to block out early morning summer sunrise. Breakfast was good but expensive for what it was. All in all, poor value for money.

Dear Joanna
Thank you for your recent review of the hotel and its facilities, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, I have passed your comments onto the heads of departments responsible for the areas you have highlighted and i have discussed with them in detail the improvements that we require to ensure that all of our guests needs are met.
In terms of the condition of the hotel we will be starting a comprehensive refurbishment of the hotel in the next few days which will be completed in due course.
We have just taken delivery of new beds which are being put into our family rooms immediately.
A full and comprehensive customer training course is currently being planned which we hope to implement shortly and we would welcome the opportunity to show the improvements that have been made to the hotel the next time you are in the area.
Thank you once again for your constructive feedback

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tewkesbury
Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
Strozzi Palace Boutique Suites by Mansley

Been to Tewkesbury Park? Share your experiences!