“A pleasant suprise”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tewkesbury
Durham, England, United Kingdom
“A pleasant suprise”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I work in the local area and used to stay at the Tewkesbury Park as one of the default Hotel's our business used. Unfortunately the standard of accommodation, service and food dropped to such an appalling level in 2013 we stopped using the hotel as a business and I moved to using the Thistle Hotel in Cheltenham.

I am aware that the Hotel subsequently went bust and has been taken over by a new owner so I decided to return this week when I couldn't get into the Thistle

Must say I was dreading the experience, but was very pleasantly surprised by the improvement in the service and the standard of my room.

Beds could still do with replacement, decor needs attention, the food is still too limited, dining area too formal and bar area is poor.

with the nice weather I did get a chance to sample the golf course and found that the twilight green fee was very reasonable at £14 for a round. The course was excellent and in great condition and playing after 6pm meant that I had a very relaxed enjoyable round in lovely surroundings without the pressure of a packed golf course (really good as I am not a low handicapper!)

This is a great golf course and it seems to me like the new owners are putting the effort in to improve the standards in the hotel - They just need to continue with this and improve some of the decor, bar and dining and I would consider moving back to this hotel for the majority of my business trips.

Not good enough yet as just a hotel - but if your a keen golfer then its a strong pull to put up with some of the things that I am sure will improve with time.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the golf course are the best
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Noleen G, General Manager at Tewkesbury Park, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Graham H

I am very pleased that you chose to give us another chance when you visited the hotel recently and that you have seen some improvements to the service and standards in the hotel.
Having taken over the hotel three months ago we still have a lot of work to do but this has now started and will continue over the next year or so .

Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel is in a quiet golf club, situated just outside Tewkesbury, it is a walk into town but probably about 15 to 20 minutes, the bar and restaurant area is very nice and the staff are great and very helpful, breakfast is a self service affair and of good quality and selection. Although there for work purposes I would not hesitate to use it for a trip to the area with my wife.

1 Thank Rick e
Dear Rick
It was kind of you to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel we will certainly welcome both of you back in the near future
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, friendly staff, easy to find and park, nice room was clean and tidy, dinner and breakfast was nice would recommend. Free internet was good. Only one problem! Did not get my wake up call in the morning, I was not the only one!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mark
Thank you for your review it was kind of you to take the time
I am sorry you did not receive your early morning call from my team
We look forward to welcoming you back
Tewkesbury
Reviewed 23 July 2014

July 19th 2014 we held our wedding at Tewkesbury abbey with our wedding breakfast and evening do at Tewkesbury Park hotel. Months before the wedding we had constant contact with Sam and Clair who were happy to help anytime of the day and with any of our requests. The day before we arrived at the hotel to be welcomed by all members of staff working on our wedding. Sam was there from start to finish and what an absolutely fantastic job this lady does! The morning of our wedding was a wet one, torrential rains and thunder. Sam and Clair were both waiting for me at the entrance to walk me to my car with an umbrella, and proceeded to do the same for the bridesmaids and flower girls. We had forgot the flower girl pots and Clair came out of her way to get to the Abbey before the wedding started, running in the pouring rain and in her high heels, to make sure the pots made it to them on time. The amazing attention to detail lasted throughout the entire day. The surroundings of this hotel made for some stunning photo opportunities. If I could do our day again, I would 110% pick this location. Not a single thing bad could be said about the staff, hotel, location or food. Thank you for making our day as perfect as it was!!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Cala
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel it is always nice to receive such positive feedback I have passed your review onto all of the team concerned
Manchester
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Spent a weekend at this hotel for the Tewkesbury Medieval festival which is held in an adjacent field so couldn't be handier. The setting is stunning, surrounded by the golf course and open countryside. The staff I met were all friendly and efficient. My room was clean and tidy and had all that I needed although it got very hot even with the window open at night. The communal areas are tired and worn but I hear are due to be updated. There was handy disabled parking near the reception although only a few spaces. Lovely views over the golf course from my room.

Negatives, my room was a very long way from reception and up two flights of stairs. There is no lift. I had to ask for help to take my suitcase up. As I have had a slipped disc it was no fun negotiating these stairs. The drinks meals and bar meals are all expensive. I paid £5 for a small (very small) glass of rose. Breakfast can be obtained for less than a fiver in Wetherspoons, so I wouldn't pay £12.95. Similarly for evening meals, plus the restaurant seemed very formal. Wifi was a bit hit and miss too.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems ask for a ground floor room as there is no lift.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NWLadyManchester
Noleen G, General Manager at Tewkesbury Park, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear NWLadyManchester
Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding our hotel i have passed you comments onto our team as this will help us develop our product over the coming months,
we are very pleased that you enjoyed your weekend with us and look forward to seeing you again
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I spent four days and nights here with dinner included.

The location is beautiful, with superb views of the surrounding countryside and the well kept golf course that surrounds the hotel. My room had an external door that opened onto the course, which was fantastic.

The atmosphere of the hotel is old and tired, particularly the interiors, food and drink options - even the music in the dining area didn't venture beyond early 90s.

To list a few annoyances: my shower was broken, bath unusable, room card expired, had enormous waits for bar service, badly cooked steak, poor quality meat and vegetables - on two occasions the beef served was mostly gristle.

In all, the best maintained aspect of the hotel was the golf course and at times it felt like the guests were an inconvenience to the leisure-centre aspect of the hotel. However, the staff were very helpful when you could find them and I felt they would go out of your way to help you.

I would give an average score, but I imagine this shouldn't be the average experience for a four star hotel.

1 Thank Alex F
Dear Alex thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review of our hotel.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your time in the area, and we would welcome the chance to show you the improvements we are putting into place over the next few months, i have shared your review with our team so they can understand where we are not achieving the corrects standards.
Thank you once again and we look forward to your next visit
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Whilst I can not disagree with the comments re: hotel being tired and outdated at present, I was told on our visit that there are now new owners who are putting a lot of work into bringing the hotel standards up. Our room was ok, clean and tidy, the bathroom not so and we all thought the breakfast was ok. I would go back there, the hotel has a lot to offer, swimming pool, squash and tennis courts etc and the prices are not astronomical.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Fussyfour
Dear Fussyfour
We always welcome constructive feedback concerning our hotel, i have passed on your feedback to our team members to help us improve the standards that we offer.
I hope that when you next return you will see an improvement in all areas of the hotel.
Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tewkesbury
Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
No 38 The Park
No 38 The Park
#5 of 23 in Cheltenham

Been to Tewkesbury Park? Share your experiences!