“Mislead and Upset”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Tewkesbury
Manchester
“Mislead and Upset”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We booked a four poster bedroom which " benefits from the picturesque views overlooking the River Avon and the Malvern Hills".
On arrival we were asked to pay the full room bill upfront before seeing our room (I have never been asked to do this before). We were then directed across the car park, up three flight of stairs (with no lift) to a room overlooking the car park. There was no phone connection to the main hotel and no information pack in the room. I therefore had to walk down 3 flight of stairs and walk across the car park to talk to reception. When I expressed my upset regarding the room view I was told the hotel was fully booked and I could therefore not be moved to one of the rooms at the end of the building benefiting from the views. It was sad that I had not been provided with the room I had booked with booking.com as this spoilt my overall view of the hotel. There were other positives about the hotel. The hotel was quiet, the room comfortable and clean although required some work. The breakfast was great. Sad that the hotel did this. We stayed in the Gazebo room.

Room Tip: You may request a room with picturesque views but I cannot guarantee you will get them. We stayed in...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lorna M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Thai first
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed here for one night. The evening meal was fine and well priced. The room was a bit dark but, considering the age of the building, this wasn't an issue for me. The bed and bathroom were okay.
The staff at breakfast were surly. Not what I expected having had a better experience for the evening meal.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night recently, booked 3 bed room which was huge, single bed was in seperate ante room not like what you get in modern hotels which is a small bed squashed in to double room. A lovely welcome, we had a lovely meal in the bar. After a good nights sleep we had a lovely breakfast, the building itself is delightful, all beams low ceilings strange shaped rooms

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Lancashire
Reviewed 13 August 2014

When we checked in at the Tudor House Hotel, initially I was a bit concerned due to what I considered to be some pretty drab interior decor, perhaps due to low light which didn't help, but anyway a nice young man checked us in. I'm always a bit concerned when asked to pay for our room "up front" as it were as it gives me the impression that they may have some "dubious" guests on occasions.

Shown to our room in the main building and once again, the drab decor on the stairway was a real off put, but our room, including the bathroom was okay, with a nice comfortable bed. We decided against dining in the bar/restaurant and instead opted for a traditional fish and chip meal at a fish restaurant nearby. Returned to the hotel and had a couple of drinks in the bar before retiring for the night.

Good nights sleep and down to the inclusive breakfast in the dining room served by pleasant and attentive staff. Good varied breakfast menu which, when served, was excellent.

We left the Tudor House Hotel without any complaints and despite my initial concerns regarding the internal decor, the hotel grew on me. But oh, how can they allow the decor to create such a bad first impression I'll never know, when without too much effort, they could add so much to their guests experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RobboLancashire
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We booked to stay at the Tudor House Hotel for our wedding anniversay weekend, On arrival we were too early to check in and were able to leave our car in the car park ok. When we were shown to our room we were disappointed to find it wasn't in the main hotel but in a separate building across the car park. As we were only there for one night it was ok, but had we been staying for longer then i would have asked to be moved. The room was ok a little grubby with cream carpets showing the dirt from shoes. There was no mirror in the bedroom and no plug socket in the bath room although there was a hairdryer in the bathroom it wasn't any good for drying your hair. Got around it by drying hair in the bedroom with the bathroom door open !!!!
The main hotel was lovely and full of character and the breakfast and bar area was really nice it was just a shame we were in the building separate to the hotel. Ideally you should be told on booking that your room allocation is not in the main hotel as if I had known this I wouldn't have booked. Overall we had a lovely weekend just a little disappointed with the room itself.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building they seem to be better,
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had a double room 18 overlooking canal and boats lovely room comfy comfy bed and quality bedding just very dirty windows and grubby carpet otherwise couldn't fault it. Value for money very good breakfast. Breakfast waitress very friendly and so were the rest of the staff. Would def stay again

• Stayed August 2014
Berkshire
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed here at the end of June. A friendly welcome at reception. Room was really spacious and comfortable and had all mod cons whilst retaining some of its historic feel. Loved being able to have a night cap in the bar after our meal at The Boathouse. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. The staff were all friendly and we got the feeling that they enjoyed their jobs, which made for a warm and friendly feel. Would recommend to couples or single travellers as lots of stairs and steps for small children to fall on.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tewkesbury
The Royal Hop Pole
#1 of 1 in Corse Lawn
Hotel du Vin Cheltenham
Hotel du Vin Cheltenham
#7 of 22 in Cheltenham

Been to Tudor House Hotel? Share your experiences!