“A very nice budget hotel in a great location”
Review of Purple Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tewkesbury
Purple Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Tewkesbury
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We were looking for a good base to tour around the Cotswolds and after searching for a B&B it was apparent that these are somewhat overpriced in this area (£80 plus for a double room).

I stumbled across the Purple Hotel via Laterooms.com and booked direct to get 4 nights B&B for £47 a night (normal rate is £47 room only, but this was a summer special), which seemed very reasonable for a bank holiday weekend.

This hotel used to be the Sleep Inn, Tewkesbury and looking at the Tripadvisor page it would seem to be best avoided. However, it would appear the new owners have turned the place around and it has been well refurbished.

The bedrooms are clean with pleasing enough decor and the general impression of the hotel is good. We were specially impressed by the general quietness of the place (not something roadside motels/hotels are normally known for). Breakfast was a buffet with a very good range of regularly replenished items and the staff were friendly and efficient.

We had one issue with our room not being cleaned on our first morning and after mentioning this at reception we were invited to take a free drink in the bar.

Overall, I would highly recommend this place. The location is good for touring the area and it is excellent value for money.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davideJ808VV

Reviewed 13 January 2008

Stayed there first week in January 08 the hotel was almost deserted.Greeted by lovely lady in her jeans and jumper behind the desk (!).Room very large but very used,scuff marks everywhere and carpets not looking too good.I found that the cleaning people missed 2 cans of lager hanging from the window from the previous occupants.Bathroom was ok except the tiles on the floor were loose and moved to the touch.The airconditioning was fine after a few hit and misses !.Breakfast was a sight to behold.I was told on checkin that a full english was available.What you actually get in just one very grubby tourine with all the bacon sausages etc...in the same tourine as the eggs tomatoes.no good if vegetarian like me,I could not even touch it as the outside of the tourine was filthy.And the 'chef' came in chewing on something to refill every now and then.He then went outside to have a puff and his uniform (jeans,t-hirt) were just as grubby as the tourine.NEVER will I entertain to stay at this grubby place again.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank donshe62
Reviewed 22 December 2007

We stayed here on a Saturday night while driving round the Cotswolds looking for a wedding venue. We just wanted somewhere cheap and clean because we would arrive quite late a leave early. I chose this particular one simply because it said it had showers instead of baths – which I always prefer.

The room was perfectly nice (see the pictured) – very new and clean and exactly as described. The only major problem was there were only two thin pillows on the bed – and when we asked for extra we were told no! Not very impressed!

We had to pay extra for the internet and it was not very fast and kept dropping out. In the morning it told me my 24 hour voucher had expired. Reception gave me a replacement voucher but it still wouldn’t work – so I just gave up.

Altogether a perfectly nice cheap hotel – just let down by the pillow situation!

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed 13 November 2007

I am staying at the Sleep Inn in Tewksbury whilst on business for just under 3 weeks and can I say what appalling service I encountered.
For my first week:-
• The air conditioning was not working properly and therefore my room was very cold for the majority of my stay.
• The client where I was working received a bill for one of the nights stating that I was a non arrival when quite clearly this was not the case.
• When arriving back to the hotel from a day a work my key did not work so I had to go back downstairs again to get it activated.
• I settled the bill when checking out of the hotel but a colleague who booked the hotel still got charged on her credit card – another issue which needed to be resolved.
For my second week:-
• After travelling 4 hours I arrived at the hotel only to find that the room which I had been booked into was already occupied by another guest.
• After lugging my bags back downstairs again I was allocated another room where the electricity did not work (can I recommend that although a cheap method blu-tak is not the answer to a faulty electricity unit!).
• The 3rd room was my original room from my first week with faulty air conditioning so I was moved again.
• The 4th room was a twin room when I was paying for a double.
• So after 45 minutes pulling my suitcase around I arrive in my 5th room which was ok although the air conditioning unit would not switch off properly and kept coming on really loudly in the middle of the night and waking me up (this was sorted out after the first night luckily).
• After my first day at work my key did not work so I had to go back downstairs again to get it activated.
• So finally, everything is ok but then I discover that the hotel did not have me booked in for my full stay and therefore I needed to be moved again after 3 nights (my stay was for 5 nights)!!!! I asked the girl on reception if this was really necessary as this would be the 6th time I was moved. The response I got was ‘yes you will be moving’ (without even taking her eyes off the computer, cracking a smile or even apologising).
So I’m on the move again to my original room from week one. But I can be provided with heaters so yippee! That makes up for everything!
I am only into Tuesday of my second week. I wonder what will happen next week……..
‘First for exceptional value and service?’ Is this a joke!
The only good thing I can say is that they have lovely showers and at least wireless internet connection works so I can write this review!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Unhappy_and_stressed
Reviewed 10 August 2007

The staff was very helpful, and the room was very nice. The breakfast (included) was good. This is a very nice hotel and was the cheapest of the 10 places we stayed during our vacation in Great Britain. On the slight downside, they charged 35 pence for each call made on our calling card, and we had to request new battieres for the TV remote control and a heater, as the room heater was broken. Our requests were handled promptly.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PghTraveler36
Reviewed 8 May 2007

.....I'll tell you how many - about 200, well thats how it seemed.

We had to stay somewhere at short notice, this place looked okay. It really, really isn't. Got full of kids by about 6.30pm. Told we couldn't eat unless it was at 6pm, because the kids were eating. Had to wait until after the kids had gone to have breakfast. To be honest I wish we hadn't had breakfast as it was truly diabolical.

Beds not comfy. Room freezing and air con stuck on 'icy blast'. Was offered a newspaper, but it didn't turn up, and were told at check out time that they didn't do newspapers! How very bizarre.

Basically rubbish. Would rather sleep in the car.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Loncat
Reviewed 13 March 2007

I stayed two nights in March, paying a premium for an "executive room". My advice is don't bother upgrading, as the only difference is a slightly larger bed (which is actually two single beds fastened together).
The rooms are large, but apart from that, there isn't a lot to say. You get a shower (no baths), a flimsy duvet , sparse furniture and a tv which doesn't have the teletext facility !!
Best advice is to go into Tewkesbury (about a mile and a half away) and eat in the Vietnamese New World restaurant or the Indian Rajshahi, which both do very good food.
The hotel is next to the M5 so handy for travellers, and has lots of parking, although the local industrial estate uses the access road as a park-up for all the overnight juggernauts whose drivers sleep in their cabs.
At £67 a night it's very average.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank wroughtironron