“overpriced”

Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Solihull
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“overpriced”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I thought this was a mid-range business hotel. I was disappointed with several apsects of the accomodation. I would have expected more for the price, and wished I'd stayed somewhere else. The room provided a desk / dressing table, with a chair that was so low, I could not type on my laptop. In spite of several lamps and overhead lights, all switched on, the illumination in the room was not adequate for a good working environment. The bed is fitted with a memory foam mattress, so a restless night of sweating did not put me in a good frame of mind for a day's work.

Dinner the first night, in the grill, was not good value for money. Service was poor, food was slow, prices were high for what it was. The second night, in the pub, was cheaper and better, with good friendly service.

At breakfast on the first morning I was not shown where the cooked buffet was (the cold buffet is in a more obvious place), and 'service' was grudging.

The pool facility is good. The reception staff friendly and helpful, but i won't go back any time soon, or probably to any other hotel in the chain.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Giles H, General Manager at Village Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking time to post a review following your recent stay with us.

I am obviously disappointed to read your feedback although it is never encouraging to receive negative comments this information is vital to monitoring our guests experiences and understanding when we have fallen short of meeting our guest expectations.

I can assure you that we take our customer feedback very seriously and that we have a very proactive service recovery procedure in place to make sure that when we receive guest’s comments, we put in place certain actions to ensure that they are eradicated.

I will be raising the points that you have mentioned in your feedback to the relevant Heads of Department to ensure that we put together a specific action plan to rectify them.

I am confident that should you return you would notice a marked improvement, as I believe your stay was not a true reflection of an experience here at Village Solihull.

We do hope that you consider returning to us in order for us to make amends for your stay and restore your confidence in the hotel.

Giles Hammond

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Titchfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stay away 2-3 nights a week for work, this hotel was perfect.

Reception staff were very efficient and polite. Room was clean, a good size and had a massive TV. The bathroom was clean and had everything you would need. The £20 upgrade option was a nice touch - including better toiletries, a movie and Starbucks coffee if your room. The views weren't amazing, but that's the price you pay for being close to motorways and travel links - no intrusive noise though.

The bar was good, service a little slow, but otherwise OK. The Starbucks in the lounge had tables with plug sockets available for laptops - so much better than working in your room.

Breakfast was good, buffet style hot food and nice selection.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Giles H, General Manager at Village Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your recent review following your stay with us here at the Village Urban Resort Solihull.

We are delighted to read your comments, and pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to the rest of the team.

Please do keep an eye out on our website for all of our most upto date room rates, packages and special offers.

Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I have just stayed at this hotel for 5 nights on business. The staff were very friendly and helpful. After spending a lot of time in Central London believe me that is a bonus. The facilities at the hotel were first class. the gym,pool alos quality. The rooms are very clean and have everything you need including afull sky package and including movies. I will certainly be recommending this chain to my employers.

1 Thank NerjaGrizz
Giles H, General Manager at Village Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

We were delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, I will be sure to pass on your great feedback to the rest of the team who will be pleased to here about your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards

Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We use the Village at Solihull for meetings, just a 3 or 4 hour session over lunch and it's worked fairly well. The lunchtime menu from the grill is pretty average, but the place is usually clean, tidy and efficiently run.

Therefore, the decision to use it for a 2 day mini-conference for 8, seemed sensible. This would obviously mean staying over and partaking in several meals. And post conference I suppose I feel under-whelmed!!

The staff were great, as always. The rooms were good and well equipped. And that's about where it finished.

I found the bar area untidy with many dirty tables. The food was no different in the restaurant than is in the grill on a lunchtime (everything grilled or fried with not a vegetable in sight) and the meeting room we had was awful. When I mean awful...........no windows, dark, gloomy and claustrophobic. The gym, or at least some part of the exercise facilities were above us, so all the way through 2 days, the roof felt as though it might collapse with the sound of dumbbells crashing on it. The constant thud, thud, was not only intrusive to the meeting, it was akin to a Chinese water torture. Totally unacceptable.

I think the trouble is, this hotels wants to be all things to all people. And it doesn't achieve it. Meeting rooms with a gym above is a schoolboy error. These 2 facilities should be at either end of the hotel. And offer a selection of foods for ALL sectors of the business world. Not just those who want a burger and chips. Disappointing.

Dear Guest

Thank-you for posting a review regarding your stay and meeting here at Village Urban Resort.

We are obviously disappointed to hear that a number of areas have not met your expectations during your time with us. I can assure you that your feedback will be passed onto the relevant Heads of department so that they can implement certain actions.

All of our meeting rooms are different in layout, therefore we are more than happy to be flexible to allocate rooms on request and they are explained at the point of booking. We have identified the problem of having the gym floor above some of the meeting space and this is being addressed by having the floor replaced with a suitable alternative that will block out the noise.

Although our menu's are set we are more than happy to take requests and accommodate our guests, as our Chef is flexible when it comes to delivering food that the guests expect.

I do hope that you give us a chance to redeem ourselves as I do believe that you will notice a marked improvement should you choose to visit us again in the future.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed on a Friday night as part of a deal, £29 for room and breakfast. This represented superb value - in fact, it still would've been a steal at considerably more than this price. The room was furnished, decorated and equipped to a very high standard (we were particularly impressed with the built-in iPod docking station), and the bed was supremely comfortable. Likewise, the pool and sauna facilities were very good, including a Jacuzzi much larger than the average.

We found breakfast to be perfectly adequate, although the selection and quality of food on offer didn't match the best we've experienced elsewhere, and we had a fairly lengthy wait for sausages and bacon to be cooked and brought out. This is the only thing that persuades me to award 4 rather than 5 points. Still highly recommended, especially on a deal similar to the one we had.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Giles H, General Manager at Village Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent feedback following your stay with us.

We are delighted to hear that you were able to take advantage of one of our many deals that we are currently running. They offer great vaule for money and have been very popular since they launched. I will pass your feedback onto the Head chef as he will be disappointed to hear such feedback regarding breakfast.

Please do keep an eye out on our website for all future packages and promotions.

We hope to see you again soon.

Regards

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

After a previous disappointing visit we should have known better. But because our friend liked it here, we visited again for their birthday meal. However we won't be returning. The service continues to be very slow and disorganised - our main order didn't get processed by the kitchen and our desserts went to the wrong table where they were promptly eaten! The drinks are expensive and again slow to be delivered. The evening menu is very limited. All in all a disappointing visit once again. Lesson learnt, we won't be going again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Giles H, General Manager at Village Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank-you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit.

I can only apologise on behalf of the team regarding your recent experience. I have recently taken over the running of the hotel and therefore feedback like this is essential for me to get an idea of where we are falling short in providing the expected level of customer service.

I can assure you that we are addressing certain issues within the hotel, a new Head Chef has recently been appointed therefore I am confident that should you return again in the future you would notice a marked improvement in both the service and products here at Village Urban Resort Solihull.

I do hope that you will consider returning, in order for us to have the opportunity to redeem ourselves and make amends for your most recent visit.

Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Always liked Village hotels and often use Swindon or Cardiff but normally let down by poor evening meals. The Solihull hotel certainly doesn't fall into this category as evening meal was great. Definately recommend.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Giles H, General Manager at Village Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank-you for your recent feedback following your stay with us.

We were delighted to read that our food had really impressed you. Our recently appointed Head Chef will be thrilled to hear such positive comments.

We hope to see you again in the near future.