“Fantastic, like a second home”
Review of Station Approach

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Station Approach
Ranked #9 of 53 Solihull B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We were greeted and treated with a genuine friendliness throughout the stay and waa offered plenty of help and advice. The room was clean and came with an ensuite which was on the small side but was still preferrable then having to share. Would definitely recommend, and plan on visiting again next year.

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Friendly welcome, clean and tidy. Breakfast was at 8:30 which was a little early for me! Comfortable stay and very close to the station believe it or not. Parking is right outside and there is a family atmosphere about the place. Would stay again if back in Solihull.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed here for five nights during August, and had a very nice stay.. It is so handy to be able to walk to the train station or to the Solihull shopping area, which is exactly what I needed to do as I was travelling solo and without my own transport.

My room was good, with some nice personal touches. I enjoyed the breakfast, and that I could make myself a cup of tea or coffee whenever it suited me during the day or night. The hostess was friendly and helpful, and I was able to do my washing before moving on. If I am back that way I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Marea F
Reviewed 19 July 2013

For me a good b&b stay should involve a comfortable bed, lots of hot water, a powerful shower, a quiet ambience in the place at night. These the Station Approach offers. Given the dreadfully hot weather and having to try to sleep at least some of the time with the window open to traffic noise it would be unfair to give a poor rating for sleep quality; so I won't.

But I find the drinking / eating arrangements odd, in fact not acceptable. I can't understand why, unlike even the worse b&b I've been in (step forward the Railway, Bedford), there is no provision for coffee / tea in the rooms. Instead one has to creep downstairs to the breakfast room and make ones beverage there. Presumably this means less work for the staff, but it's damn inconvenient for the guests.

Breakfast. Now when I got to the breakfast room my table had a paper serviette and a knife and for. That's it. There were no cereals, no jams, no butter, no milk or coffee. There were fruit juice and fresh fruit on the sideboard.

I didn't really want more than toast ad lib but I was told, rather accusingly, that the English breakfast "was already cooked" and I actually felt quite unwillingly constrained to have some bacon and eggs. Which were fine in themselves, but I didn't really want them! I did ask for lots of toast. Here I wasn't asked if I wanted white or brown, I wasn't given any spreads, I wasn't given any jams. It was all brought through from the kitchen (brown when I wanted white) ready spread and no jams. I don't like this AT ALL. I like to have white toast and do my own thing with it with butter.

I wasn't asked if I wanted tea or coffee. I had to ask. Again, it came done from the kitchen, milked and sugared, and again I like to do my own thing with my coffee. And I want a blessed POT of coffee too, not to have to ask for a cup more of the rather over-milked over-sweet same.

It all smacks of corner cutting on labour. It's simpler NOT to have to bother with coffee and tea and sugar sachets and kettles and cups in the rooms. It's simpler NOT to put the jams and cereals out, it's simpler NOT to make individual jugs of coffee or pots of tea, it's simpler NOT to have to deal with the detritus of butter pats and jams and sugar sachets, it's simpler NOT to put milk out in jugs on the tables.

Bed AND breakfast. The bed side was fine. The other part wasn't. I can't in fairness give more than three stars. I don't recall being more disappointed with a b&b breakfast that I paid good money for.

Room Tip: Room 5 overlooks the main road. Go for 3 or 4.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank A F
Reviewed 12 June 2013

You are made to feel very welcome at the Station Approach. Lovely clean rooms,and very nicely decorated. Cracking breakfast in lovely surroundings. The owner was extremely helpful and courteous. Ideally situated for commuting into town, and the Wetherspoons was great for an afternoon session.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family.
Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Keith B
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Me and two friends visiting NEC arena a for concert and ayed here afterwards, we were made to feel really welcome, the owner was really helpful and friendly, the room was exceptionally clean and tidy.
The included breakfast was brilliant, wide variety including cereals and full English and drinks are available at no extra cost at any time during your stay.
We were given a key to the front door which was useful due to our late arrival after the concert.
I would throughouly recommend staying here and will do again if I am ever at the NEC again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank claccer
Reviewed 2 June 2013

a very friendly and definitely clean hotel , rooms are well decorated the beds spotless and comfy.
nice patio area to the rear where you can sit and relax after a hard days shopping .
great location just five minuits from the center walking,plenty of resteraunts and bars nearby yet you hear no noise.
showers are hot and powerfull bathroom is spotlessnice clean towels ,enough space for your cloths .
The breakfast was one of the best iv eaten,very well cooked, tea and coffee whenever you wanted it you just help yourself.
stayed here for six days couldnt fault it a home from home will stay again if in the area

Room Tip: take your pick there all spot on
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business