“Good value for money”

Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Solihull
West Yorkshire
“Good value for money”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My sister and I usually stop at another hotel in Solihull when we visit the NEC every June, but this year we stopped at the Holiday Inn because of the good deal they were offering, The hotel was comfortable and clean, the staff helpful and friendly, the car park was cheaper than the other hotel and we were just over the road from the Touchwood Shopping Centre, where there are numerous restaurants for an evening meal .......Bella Italia, TGI Fridays, La Tasca, Wagamama etc. I can happily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
HIsolihull, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Solihull.

I am delighted to read that you and your sister chose to stay at our hotel for your visit to the NEC. I was also pleased to read that you found the hotel to be comfortable and staff helpful and friendly.

Thank you for recommending our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the area

Martin Woods

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Birmingham
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed at Holiday Inn the weekend just gone for my birthday, first impressions were good outside. When we arrived at reception the male receptionist could not find my booking when I gave him my details, it was only that I had printed out the details that he was able to find me. We were given our room keys but was not advised either to walk up or to take the lift, lucikly we were on the 1st floor. Went out the first night into Solihull where a good selection of pubs and restaurants. Breakfast was nice and staff were very efficient and happy to help you. We went down to the gym on Saturday and Sunday and were surpirised that they did not provide towels, we were told we had to take the towels from our rooms which went you went swimming they then smelt of chlorine. (Have stayed at other hotels and have always had towels provided otherwise would have taken beach towels with us if we had known, and thought that for a 4 star hotel these would have been provided)

When we went to check out we were informed that as we had stayed for 2 nights that there was a charge of £10 for car parking!!! Would have assumed that as we were hotel paying guests that car park would have been included free of charge.

As an overview nice stay but think the hotel needs to review the car park charge for paying guests and also to provide towels for the swimming pool.

Room Tip: Nice hotel. Good Breakfast Car Park charge needs to be looked into
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ivory1
Dear Guest

I am pleased to read that; overall, you had a nice stay for your birthday weekend. Please accept my apologies however for the confusion over your booking details upon arrival and also that you were not directed to your room. May I also apologise for the problem you encountered with the availability of towels at our leisure club. I have addressed both issues with the responsible Managers and corrective measures have been taken to ensure there be no reoccurrence in the future.

I am sorry that you felt there were hidden charges when you came to depart. We do state on our website front page, under parking, that parking charges apply at £5 per car per night. We regularly review our pricing for car parking to ensure that we remain competitive with other city/town centre hotels and the charge for residents is significantly discounted.

Once again thank you for posting your review and we do hope that we can welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Solihull in the future

BIRMINGHAM
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Excellent staff, very helpful and friendly with good knowledge!

The room was beautiful with a nice few of a water fountain
The gym was great, and so was the pool!

Nice little getaway over night of longer!

WILL BE BACK THANKS

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent “getaway”

I am delighted to read that you found our team members to be excellent, helpful, friendly and with a good knowledge.

I am also pleased to read that you found your room to be beautiful and that you enjoyed the view over our lake and fountain.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Solihull in the future

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Stayed here with a friend as part of my 40th birthday celebrations.

Twin room was large and clean and we were allowed to check in early. Only downside was the windows were more like skylights so no view but it didn't matter to us.

Staff very helpful. We didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that.

Great to stay there when enjoying a night out in Solihull with friends. 2 minutes walk from Touchwood bras etc. A bit longer on the way home at 3:30 am!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower level overlooking fountain if you want a view!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay as part of your 40th Birthday celebrations.

I am pleased to read that you found the room to be large and clean and that you appreciated the early check in.

The bedrooms on our third floor do have dormer style windows however I do hope that this did not detract too much from your overall stay.

Thank you also for your comment concerning the helpfulness of our staff.

Once again thank you for your review, I am delighted that you had a "great stay", and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Solihull in the future

Heald Green Cheshire
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I stayed for 1 night for a business training course in the Hotel. The breakfast was ok, the rooms and hotel was clean. The staff were friendly. Just your average Hoilday Inn, no surprises

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I am pleased to read that you found the hotel to be of a good standard and the team friendly.

Whilst I am also pleased that we met your expectations, I am sorry that on this occasion we were unable to exceed them in any way.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Solihull in the future when, hopefully, we will be able to go one better than on this occasion.

Hull, Uk
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Spent the weekend here for a wedding. Good executive room, clean, tidy, looking onto a garden with a fountain. Room had all the facilities with fridge etc & water bottles provided.

Best thing is the massive queen bed!

Ate breakfast both days. - Good

There is a great shopping center right across the road with loads restaurants & shops.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keithhodgkinson
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent weekend stay at the Holiday Inn Solihull

I am delighted that you found your executive room, overlooking the lake, to be of a good standard with all the facilities you expected and that you particularly enjoyed the “massive queen bed”

I was also please to read that you had a good breakfast experience and I hope that you enjoyed the wedding that you attended here.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Oxford
Reviewed 30 March 2012

On arriving at reception I was greeted by the most miserable chap you could ever want to encounter on checking in to a hotel. His English was not good and his couldn't care less attitude even worse. Firstly, he was not happy that I had tried to check in 20 minutes early, then he could not find my reservation and kept me hanging round for 15 minutes. After asking if an upgrade might be available he grudgingly agreed. Upon arriving at my room the first thing I noticed was a horrible stale smell. This got worse the near I got to the vile shower curtain. Looking out of the window all I could see were cobwebs hanging down. Having gone back down to talk to Mr Misery on reception I eventually gave up on his appalling attitude and spoke to the Head Housekeeper who was also the Duty Manager. She couldn't have been more helpful and moved me to a much cleaner room. The room was spacious, with a huge bathroom, but both room and bathroom were very bland, tired and old. Even the TV was ancient. It is quite clear that the owners QMH, have invested no money in this place for a very long time. The bed was just about comfortable but not as good as most Holiday Inns and the cheap, thin, poorly fitting curtains did little to block out the light. So not the best nights sleep ever. The food at lunch time and the breakfast were both good. They like to rip their guests off further with massive wi-fi costs and you have to pay for each device you try to connect. A £5.00 charge to park your car is also disgusting in my view. As this is one of the higher priced Holiday Inns and claims to be 4 star (I can't see how) I have to say I expected far better. As such, I would not stay again. There are far nicer and much better Holiday Inns close by that don't leave you feeling ripped off.

Room Tip: Stay in a different Holiday Inn - Walsall is excellent and only 15 mins away!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Andy C
HIsolihull, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for you’re your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Solihull.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor level of service you received upon arrival. This is not the level of welcome for our guests with which we pride ourselves and please be assured that corrective training will take place to ensure there be no reoccurrence of such standards in the future.

Whilst I am pleased to read that you were moved promptly to a new room by the Duty Manager, I must also apologise that this was necessary in the first place. Our Head Housekeeper, whom you spoke to on the day, has introduced more stringent checks in order that we consistently achieve our usual high standards.

I am sorry that you found our rooms to be bland, tired and old. In recent years, all of our bedrooms and bathrooms have been refurbished and are regularly maintained. We are currently in the process of accessing our requirements for the replacement of all bedroom televisions.

I am pleased to read that you found the food at both lunch and breakfast time to be of a good standard.

Thank you again for your review and please be assured that your constructive feedback will be used in a positive way in order that we may improve the level of service we deliver to our guests. I do sincerely hope that you will give us another chance and that you choose the Holiday Inn Solihull again should you be visiting this area in the future.