Crowne Plaza Solihull
Hogarths Hotel(Dorridge)
Great 4.5/5
Robin Hood Toby(Birmingham)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsholiday innshopping centreexecutive roomlovely hotelgood sizechristmas partypublic areasfirst floorhotel restauranthealth clubleisure facilitiesfood was lovelybar areacar parkinghigh streetwedding receptionstayed here for one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I wanted a nice hotel with a swimming pool within easy driving distance of the NEC and decided to try this Holiday Inn expecting something a little downmarket from a Premier Inn. I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived - the initial impressions were this was a much nicer hotel and the location was superb. (Lots of shops/restaurants in the shopping centre across the road)

We arrived at reception and they were unable to find my booking. I realised I had accidentally booked the wrong weekend but when I explained the situation the desk staff immediately sorted this out for me and deducted the money already paid which they probably could have refused to do as it was my mistake! 10/10 for customer service here.

The rooms were large and clean and the free leisure centre with swimming pool, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi perfect after a long days shopping. The gym also looked very good but we didn't try that.

It was a pity parking was an additional £5 and there's no free wifi but everything else was perfect. Oh, and breakfast was great too!

I would highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for something near Solihull, Birmingham or the NEC.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Roy M
Edwina B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear Roy M
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Solihull. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. With regard to car parking we do state on our webiste that parking charges apply at £5 per car per night. We also regularly review our pricing to ensure that we are competitive with other hotels in this area. Our Wi-Fi and the technical support for this service is provided by an external company, therefore, it is necessary to charge our guests for using this service. Once again Roy M, thank you for your review and I hope we can welcome you back in the very near future. With kind regards, Edwina Blyth, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Having stayed here for 2 nights as part of the wedding party overall was a pleasant stay apart from a very rude very young girl manager who was rude to most she spoke to and extremely unpleasant to me when she upset one of the guests on arrival telling them the price quoted for the family room had gone up in price having asked her why this was she was horrible to me but I did not falter and insisted the family pay the price quoted this was all in the middle of our family wedding this girl needs retraining as she let's all the other staff down who we fantastic welcoming and gave us 110% of there time. One more niggle WiFi I paid for could not connect for the whole 2 days we were there very helpful night staff who tried to help but still no WiFi I would recommend this hotel but don't go on a Saturday afternoon when the young stroppy woman manager is on her shift

Room Tip: We stayed in room 145 huge bed very spacious but tea making facilities poor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Lisalouisa
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay here. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were made to feel welcome by the team here. I am sorry you were unable to connect to our WiFi despite the help you received from the night team and this is being looked into. I would also like to apologise for the unsatisfactory response you received from our reception team when you queried your rate, please be assured that this is being addressed. Once again Lisalouisa, I appreciate your comments and hope to be able to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Had to stay here recently , wont be back . Nothing awaful about the hotel , albeit a super sized premier inn but at greater cost .

Things that annoyed me : no free wifi , despite paying £150+ per night ( in Solihull !) , they offered to deduct my parking charge , which was good ,seeing as I wasnt in a car !

Breakfast good and rooms fine , just a very over priced stay / outdated hotel group in my view

To have to pay £5 per hour for wifi is crazy , guess most wander across the road to coffee shops and burger joints where its foc !

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Edwina B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear LiamB1
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Solihull. I am pleased to hear that you found your room to be comfortable and enjoyed breakfast. Our Wi-Fi and the technical support for this service, is provided by an external company, therefore it is necessary to charge our guests for using their services. Once again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

On the edge of town centre this Hotel is about as handy to everything as you could ever hope for; and if you need to do things in Dorridge you are only 5 minutes away by car.

The rooms are a bit on the small side but for the price its clean, comfortable and convenient.

I didn't like that the charge for car parking but that's the way the world is going. It also annoyed me to discover a small sign on the wall at reception whilst checking out that advised you can save 30% Off the cost of breakfast by paying in advance on arrival. Had someone told us this when we checked in we could have saved 30 Pounds.

Staff were friendly and professional, food was probably 7.5/10.

Bottom line... If we ever have the need to stay in Solihull again, it would be here without considering anywhere else!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Edwina B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear Woody D
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Solihull. I was pleased to hear that your enjoyed your stay, however, I apologise for the team not bringing to your attention the breakfast offer we have. Your observations have been shared with the reception team. With regard to car parking, please be assured that we regularly review our pricing to ensure we remain competitive with other hotels in this area. Once again Wood D, thank you for taking the time to post your review and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

my friends and I had Sunday lunch here a couple of weeks ago, the starter and the beef were excellent and very much enjoyed by all, the deserts was o.k. very (shop bought!) the one failing was it needs table cloths on the vulgar plastic fake wooden tables and a few flowers, perhaps background music. to give me a bit of style. then it would be a definitely 5+ rating. Staff were very helpful and service was good. I would go again, now I know what to expect.

Room Tip: sorry have not stayed the night
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Sylvia S
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit for Sunday lunch. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I have noted your comments and shall share them with the team here. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Solihull in the near future.
With kind regards