“Good Location, Fantastic Staff”

Crowne Plaza Solihull
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Solihull
London, United Kingdom
“Good Location, Fantastic Staff”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the holiday inn for 7 months whilst working on a long term project. the hotel has adequate facilities and is located very close to the main shopping centre in Solihull. Breakfast is very good with a lot to offer and the food in general is good. The rooms are always clean and of a fair size. The biggest asset to the hotel I must say is the staff. They worked very hard to ensure that the party I was with was looked after and taken care off, no request was too much. they were all extremely helpful, truly made us all feel welcome and always greeted you with a smile. After staying away for so long the hotel became like a home away from home and the staff were a big part of this. Particularly notable members of staff who went the extra mile were Hannah, David, Sarah, Gary, and Frances with Chloe being the shinning star of the team.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Edwina B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear AndrewS
Thank you for your review and I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I shall pass your comments onto the team who I know will be delighted too. I hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the very near future.
With kind regards, Edwina Blyth, Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Knaresborough, N.Yorks
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn in Solihull on several occasions. The hotel is conveniently located with easy access to all the main amenities in Solihull. The hotel always feels very welcoming and the staff are truly excellent and really make an effort to ensure that you have a comfortable stay. Food and facilities are fine and you can be guaranteed a relaxing stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhilMunt
Dear Philmunt
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your return to the Holiday Inn Solihull. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We all look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

As has been said below - the location is fantastic, in that there is a cinema, restaurant (all the normal chains) and shopping centre right across the road from the hotel, together with a good size car park right at the front of the hotel.
Immediately you walk in you have a good idea of what the common areas are like.... definitely in need of a refresh (very 1990s) - that said the staff generally make up for it - they are friendly, professional and efficient, and despite having tired decor, it is looked after and clean.

This is the first Holiday Inn that I have been to where you are not confronted with brown dishwater in a thermos at breakfast, when you ask for coffee. Coffee is made freshly for you (albeit from one of those massive machines) - a great improvement, that I hope all hotels pick up on.

The only disappointment was despite being in an Executive Room I was next to a noisy lift. The first night it was fine, but the second night there must have been people coming to their rooms in the early hours, and each time clancking, crashing and other mechanical noises woke me up. Hence only an "average" score

Room Tip: avoid rooms near the lifts
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear awoods
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the hotel. Your kind comments about the team are appreciated and will be passed onto them. It's good to hear that you enjoyed our freshly ground coffee. I apologise for the disturbance you suffered on your second night, when you return please ask for a room in a quiet location and we will be happy to oblige. Once again awoods, thank you for your reiew.
Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Have stayed in this hotel several times mainly as it has such a great proximity to the Touchwood centre where there are loads of restaurants and close to Solihull town centre which also has a load. The hotel is ok a bit basic and tired but certainly perfectly useable. Do not however use the restaurant for dinner or for breakfast if you want hot food.
. The food is not pleasant at all. Don't say I didn't warn you. Just walk over the road for 50 meters and you can find much better food. The staff here are pleasant and always have a smile. Your car exit ticket that you receive when you enter the car park will need to get swiped by reception to get out car park if it is added to your bill. If this is am and you are behind a queue of people checking out then you will be in for a long wait as there is usually only one person on reception. Small annoyance but one they should get sorted.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear bernie680
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent return to the Holiday Inn Solihull. It was disappointing to read that you were not satisfied with the food we offer and I shall pass your comments onto our food and beverage team. I am sorry you had to wait to have your car park ticket validated. We do our best to avoid keeping departing guests waiting, however, occasionally there will be a small delay due to the volume of guest checking out.
Once again bernie680, I appreciate the time you have taken to give us your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

it is now 1 in the morning and finally the groaning noise from the lift has stopped. How the holiday inn expect you to sleep in a room near the lift is beyond me. If you want sleep insist on a room away from the lift or book another hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear helpme456
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Solihull. I was disappointed to read that you were disturbed by noise from our lift during the night and I would like to offer you my sincere apologies We are always happy to offer a room in a quieter location, however, given the time of night I do understand that you would not wish to move rooms. Once again helpme456, I appreciate the time you have taken to let us have your feedback.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Strayed here for one night this week whilst on business. The hotel was exactly what you might expect, nothing special but then nothing too bad. The rooms were quite large and furnished to a reasonable standard, the bathrooms the same. Although it should be said that the shower pressure was woeful, not the best start to your day!

The bar prices were responsible and the breakfast was your average spread of hot and cold. The quality of the food wasn't great but then I wasn't expecting anything special.

All of the staff were friendly and the location is convenient given the nearby shopping mall.

Would I stay again? So long as the price was fair value at the time then I'd have no issues.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear neilneilneil,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff and the fine location of our hotel in the area. We apologize for the shortfalls you have experienced that fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Have stayed at this hotel since May 2013 from Mondays to Fridays for a business project. I have to say, this has been one of the best hotels I have stayed at. The reception staff knew my name from the 2nd time I checked in. The ladies at reception and at the bar have been absolutely lovely for the whole duration of my stay, friendly yet professional.
The rooms were always spotlessly clean, in fact the whole hotel was always clean.
There were a few minor issues on the odd occasions, but these were resolved very quickly and efficiently. There could be a few changes, perhaps a mini bar in every room instead of just the executive rooms. A vending machine wouldn't go amiss either.
The location is perfect, right over the road from a decent mall with a lot of food options.
As I stayed here for a such a long period, this hotel became my second home, so I was looked after, the ladies at reception always gave a warm greeting every morning and evening, and always had a smile, which makes it even more welcoming. I have stayed in some 5* hotels where this kind of hospitality does not happen.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again. I must say that I will be sad to leave because I have never had such good service at a hotel before and it would be good if all hotels were as friendly and helpful as this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Edwina B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Bradandjason
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I was delighted to hear that you were well looked after and comfortable while you were with us. I shall share you kind comments with the team and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the future. With kind regards, Edwina Blyth, Guest Relations Manager