“Great family stay”

Crowne Plaza Solihull
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Solihull
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Booked a suite for 4 nights in July staying with my husband and 3 year old son. The room was great - lovely king size bed in the bedroom and a pullout sofa-bed already made up for us in the adjoining sitting room. The room was clean and quiet with a nice view of the fountain. Check-in and check-out were quick and easy. Free parking for hotel guests right outside the door. Breakfast wasn't anything extravagant but was very nice and service was good. The pool was great with a decent sized kids pool. The shopping centre just across the road has loads of nice restaurants. One of the only hotels in the area we could find with suites that would suit a family stay. Overall very happy with the hotel and good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014
TimSparrow, Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Donegalgirl,

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review. We're really pleased that you enjopyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Solihull

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Recently stayed at this hotel for the weekend in an executive room. Was greeted at reception by a very friendly young lady, check-in was easy and prompt as was parking onsite. My room on the 1st floor was clean, spacious and well served with free internet, complementary water and iron/board. Throughout my stay all of the staff were fantastic, the room very quiet and I slept very well. The hotel itself would be worthy of five Tripadvisor stars but it has a major flaw – the restaurant.
We made the mistake of dining at the on-site Brookes restaurant on the basis that the menu looked fine and that our Holiday Inn experience up to that point has been fantastic. We decided to order a 3 course meal with wine from the al la carte menu.
For starter I ordered the ruschetta (£5.75) and my partner the country pate (£6.25). When they arrived the bruschetta was simply a very small slice of toast with masses raw chopped onion and a little rocket leaf dumped on it; this is not a bruschetta, this is toast with raw onions dumped on it. The pate was no better, a cheap ‘brought in’ economy flavourless paste served with a small slice of toast. Even a low end café would not have served such a poor quality items. Both starters were of such poor quality and I can only assume that the hotel has a policy of procuring economy ingredients. We informed our waitress of these facts who in turn informed the chef, no further action was taken. Note to the hotel manager – try in particular the country pate and see for yourself!
For wine we ordered a chardonnay which again was of the low end budget economy variety which was quite astringent. Although the wine was economy the price was not with most wines around £26 per bottle. Again I felt ripped off for the poor quality being served.
The main courses were a little better as we decided a salad would be a safe option. We decided on the balsamic dressings but received a drenching of sunflower oil which made the salad very greasy and a pool of oil in the bowel. By then we’d simply had enough and decided not to risk a dessert. Although the service was good (which we tipped for) the food was simply dreadful and we left feeling cheated.
I was very surprised the food was so bad as there is a plethora of restaurants just across the road. The dishes we ordered were basic and could be made by any anyone with half decent ingredients . Maybe the chef has to work with cheap nasty ingredients? I am no chef but I would be happy to demonstrate how to make a tasty pate, bruchetta and a salad, basic items for which you would expect at least an average offering at this price point.
The next day we ate in one of the restaurants across the road where the meal and wine was not only much cheaper but was a million miles away from the rubbish we had at Brookes. I would certainty return and recommend the Holiday Inn Solihull but steer clear of the dismal restaurant.
Pros:
Room
Staff
Internet
facilities

Cons:
Restaurant

Room Tip: Executive rooms are worth the extra.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear bluenose7,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to read that we didn't deliver when it came to your evening meal, which prevented you giving us the full five stars but I understand that the restaurant experience is a big part of the overall guest experience for many guests. Your comments are useful for us, particularly with this being a recently introduced menu.

I know that you discussed your evening meal with the service team at the time but that no other action was taken. If you would like to discuss this or in fact any element of your stay with me, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We arrived at the hotel in mid afternoon and were immediately surprised by the attractive setting in the centre of town. The member of staff on reception quickly checked us in and we moved into our King Executive Room on the second floor. The room was well furnished with views out over the lake and fountain.
The hotel is situated in the centre of town and directly opposite the Touchwood Shopping Centre with its excellent selection of shops and restaurants. After spending time visiting the shops in the centre we decided to eat that evening in the hotel restaurant. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the service was most attentive and friendly. We took advantage of the restaurant special offer of a two course dinner for two with a glass of wine for just £29.99 which we thought presented excellent value. The lounge bar on the ground floor also appears extremely comfortable and a relaxing spot for a quiet drink with both snacks and light meals also available if required.
The location and style of the hotel certainly places this as one of the better hotels in the chain and in the last few years we have stayed at many.
Our room was directly next to the lift and we did experience some discomfort from its constant use and would most definitely ask for a room away from the lift on our next visit.
We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and look forward to returning again quite soon.
Would most definitely recommend to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and away from any lift.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear legend14,

Thank you for your great review and for posting pictures, we're really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It's great to read that you enjoyed both our facilities and those in the local area. I'm sorry if the lift disturbed you, I hope that will not deter you from staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here for one night although I have stayed here several times over the years right back to when it was a Post House.

Check in was efficient and I was quickly in my room. Being a regular traveller my immediate impression from entering the large bedroom was that the furniture made it feel a little dated. That's not to say that it requires renovation, everything was in good condition. The bathroom was well appointed and in comparison with the remainder of the room felt right up to date. My room was on the first floor overlooking the rear car park. I'd chosen to leave the window open in preference to using the aircon. This was a mistake as a noisy refuse collection was made around 6am and the coaches parked decided it was a good idea to warm up their engines prior to 7am. The bed was quite firm and had synthetic pillows which felt like a budget variety so weren't overly comfortable.

Breakfast was buffet style as is the norm with these sorts of hotels and service was quick and efficient for tea and coffee.

Overall this was another good stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear MK1,

Thank you for your positive review. I'm pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and continue to return to us.

I've noted all your comments. I'm sorry that you were disturbed in the morning by the vehicles outside, our refuse collection should not be taking place this early and will be addressed with the contractor. We are pleased to offer a variety of pillow types including soft and firm synthetic plus fetaher and hypoallergenic types. I hope next time we can find the right one for you.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Been a few times in this hotel for professional reasons. From check-in till check-out, it has been a good experience. The people at the reception and in the restaurant, breakfast place and bar are very friendly. The rooms are well accommodated giving you a good night rest.

Will stay there again when visiting Solihull.

Stayed: July 2014
TimSparrow, Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Hdevos,

Thank you for your positive review and highlighting our friendly team. We're all pleased that you enjoy your stays with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I arrived at the Holiday Inn Solihull near midnight on the night of my stay, and was warmly welcomed. It's a Holiday Inn - so, it fits a certain bill. I've got to say that the corporate strategy for Holiday Inn is working - they've done a very good job of updating properties in the UK and attracting business and family clients alike. Whereas if I'm on vacation, I'd normally want a boutique hotel, if I'm doing a roadtrip with the family or a business stay... Holiday Inns are just fine. I choose them because they're clean, usually recently remodeled, and include breakfast and a workout area / pool. The breakfast was nice, the pool area was great, and the gym was also very good. I only spent the night, but it was a night worth spending.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank southie_and_middsy

Dear southie_and_middsy,

Thank you for your great and comrehensive review, you seem to have used most of our facilities.

We look forward to your next trip whether it be business or pleasure.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I have stopped in this lovely hotel on the way back from the Download Festival, despite arriving really late we were welcomed at reception and within 5 minutes we weres in a spacious and comfy bed. Place was really clean and the breakfast was up to standards. I recommend!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Deborah M,

Thank you for your wonderful 5 start review. We're really pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope you enjoyed the festival too. Hopefully we will see you again next year, or even sooner.