“WELL DONE THE GEORGE AS USUAL”

Ramada Birmingham Solihull
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Solihull
Solihull, United Kingdom
“WELL DONE THE GEORGE AS USUAL”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Always a warm welcome in the George, now known as the Ramada Solihull, both in the bar and the restaurant. Great staff and very focused on their customer service. Been a customer of The George since 1985 so have seen it develop into what it is today. New owners have made some important and welcome changes. Fish and chips is excellent value for money. Would recommend it to anybody, business or pleasure, but there again I would, wouldn't I? My parents stay here when visiting Solihull and love the place. Steeped in history. Lord B

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Customer Servic... S, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
To receive such a glowing review is wonderful and greatly appreciated!
We do pride ourselves on excellent customer service and your comments will be forwarded to the staff concerned.
Anita Tarry/Customer Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Polish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We would like to say a big thank you to the Ramada hotel and all their staff. We only stayed for one night while our dog was in hospital following major surgery. It was all very stressfull for us and we were both really worried and upset, I had given the reason for our stay when we booked the hotel and when we arrived which was actually 3 hours before check in we were told that we could check in early at no extra charge and they had also upgraded us to a suite! the room was lovely and so was the food at breakfast and in the bar.All of the staff that we met were friendly and could'nt do enough for us. All in all we can't thank you enough for making our stay much more pleasurable than it could of been.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Customer Servic... S, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.
I am sorry you were staying under such circumstances, but we are pleased if we were able to help in any way.
We all wish your dog a speedy recovery and hope you will visit us again very soon.

Bramerton
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This hotel was very disappointing. One of the most expensive out of 8 business hotels in a row. It was incredibly difficult to gain any information before booking - all one got was put through to a broad American accent who wouldn't ACTUALLY answer any of the questions asked, but deviated around the subject. On arrival, having booked Disabled, we were shown to a room absolutely MILES away, at least 300 metres to walk, along great long corridors, up steps in SPITE of telling them beforehand NO STEPS, near a lift please . . .in a new block. On immediate complaint we were told "sorry no other rooms - there's a wedding on". When asked why they did not refuse the booking as obviously unable to accommodate us - they had no answer. The room was fine and bathroom . . .BUT the next crisis was repeated fire alarms once in a deep sleep after 1am in the morning. My mother is deaf and didn't hear the siren!!! We were MILES from reception - it was the one occasion I had not brought a dressing gown, so had to walk for miles until I saw another person - (people were poking their heads out of all the doors) - and I finally met another lady who groaned and said "oh NO - we had all this LAST night" . . . we finally met two uniformed guys who told us someone at the wedding had set off the smoke alarm!!NO APOLOGY and a nightmare trying to see the manager - who a week later, sent us an email offering us NO COMPENSATION except for a free night at another Ramada before April 14. Would you want a repeat of THAT? I am an examiner who had very many candidates to examine the next day - and I'd like the hotel staff to see how they would feel if they were examined by someone with this disturbed sleep, and obvious trauma!! They need to learn to apologize! and to authorize their managers to do something about emergency situations like this!

Room Tip: Ask for one in the main building if you don't want a half a mile trek to your room!! DON'T b...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Please accept our sincere apologies if we were unable to accommodate you in your chosen room, this is a rare occurrence and a alternative room will always be offered we do have four rooms adapted for disabled guests and will always do our best to cater for disabled guests.
Our guests safety is of the utmost importance and we will always act on the hotels safety procedures in the rare event of a fire alarm.
Regards

Travellers are raving about these Solihull hotels

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, whilst visiting the bike show at the N.E.C, which was around a 5 minute drive, the Reception are was very welcoming and the staff were very helpful for anything we asked for, the room itself was a double, very warm decor, with lots of light, the bed was amazing it was huge! i rolled over in the night to cuddle my hubster and he was miles away lol, lots of room to do starfishes!,,, the bathroom was clinically clean not one problem there at all,, downstairs there is a restaurant/pub which was beautiful i love my history and the original beams etc really gave it a warm feeling, i don't know why i've seen bad reviews about the staff because with our experiance they couldnt do enough for us, a wonderful lady brought drinks to our room late at night with a smile, they were quick to help in any way!,,, there are separate business/venue rooms which we did not use, although i popped my head in and all looked brilliant,,, the food we had in the pub area was 5 star, i enjoyed every mouthful and it was served a lot quicker than i expected,,, all in all this is a really good hotel and i will be staying there again next year when were back for the bike show.

Room Tip: as its a city hotel i expected a lot of noise but the room we had was situated next to the bowling g...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for such a glowing review!
We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and even more pleased you will be coming back to stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Just to be clear I am born and bred in England with English as my first language. As you read this review you might think otherwise but let me assure you. I am. It makes it all the more worrying.

Arrived and was checked in with no fuss. Was asked if I wanted to pay for the room now and said no, I will pay on leaving. She took a swipe of my card to authorise it or so I thought.

I then went to dinner and waited several minutes standing while someone finally saw us to a table. We then had another long wait before gesturing someone over to order. Ordered drinks starter and main as had had plenty of time to think.

Starter arrived and we asked for our drinks to come (2nd time) then we ate the starter. It was ok but reheated. Nothing to shout about.

After the starter arrived I got up to ask (for a 3rd time) for our drinks. Again sat down and then our mains arrived. I got up (4th time of asking) part way thru our main to ask for our drinks and mention I was not going to be paying for them. They arrived just before the end of our main which was, like the starter - average.

I then got up to pay only to be told my room had not been pre-authorised. I said that it had and then after some too and fro I realised they had in fact charged me for the room and not authorised it. The exact opposite of what I asked.

Poorest effort I have ever seen in a hotel that boasts 3 stars. Will never return to any in the group.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Customer Servic... S, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
I am sure this was a communication problem, guests either leave a pre-authorisation which is a holding amount by the bank and settled upon check out, or make a direct payment on check in.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope you will reconsider and visit us again in the future.
england
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Nice enough hotel. £150 for two nights in a twin room.

THE ROOM
The room had lots of mirrors and lighting so that was a nice plus, it was clean and tidy. The beds were a bit on the hard side, but they seem like they are quite new. The bathroom was clean nice bath and shower in there, the water pressure was good. The hot water is absolutely boiling hot, which could be an issue and the warning sticker on the wall above the shower controls was clear with blue writing and the tiles were blue, so it was impossible to read. Our toilet carried on filling after being flushed and this was reported to reception as well as a dangerous hairdryer that was getting so hot that it was melting itself! Both of these issues were sorted by the time we arrived back in our room some hours later after a day out, the hairdryer was a fixed hairdryer, it had not been removed but a replacement hairdryer was left on the dressing table.

There were lamps above the beds that were too low so you couldn't sit up on the bed and watch the TV without bashing your head on the very sharp angular arm that was holding the lampshade. I ended up wrapping a towel around the lamp above my bed so that i didn't accidentally bang my head as my friend did on the one above hers.

THE REST OF THE HOTEL
It would appear that they are giving the hotel a bit of a makeover, it seems it has just been freshly painted and there may have been other work too.

Receptionists were very polite.

Free parking and free wifi.

15mins away from the NEC which is why we were there.

BREAKFAST
Breakfast is £12 we arrived 15mins before it closed and so everything was a bit dry as it was sitting under the heat lamps which is probably to be expected. Tea and Coffee is served in fresh pots which is very nice. In my opinion its not worth £12 but if you need a quick breakfast before you go away for the day, then its convenient.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for the very informative reedback.
We note and action all feedback, and with the help of our guests will make sure we continue to make improvements, (where possible) to ensure our guests will want to return.
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Myself and husband booked to celebrate New Years Eve in the Courtyard Suit and stay over night. We were greeted by friendly reception staff, located our room which was clean, plenty of room and great value. During our evening the staff, food, disco and location were all excellent. We had a fantastic night! The breakfast was excellent too- just the job after a busy night celebrating. I would recommend this hotel as a central hotel for Birmingham, Birmingham Airport and Solihull. I would also recommend the New Years Eve Celebration too! Thank you for making our start to 2014 such a good one.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Customer Servic... S, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
We are pleased you chose to see in the New Year at Ramada Solihull.
Thank you for the positive review, we very much hope you will return again soon.