“Average but extremely basic hotel”

Ramada Birmingham Solihull
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Solihull
“Average but extremely basic hotel”
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

The building is extremely ugly, the rooms are in desperate need of an upgrade. I had a free standing heater in my room, a naff old leather reclining chair and foot stool and a small double bed. The shower was powerful but chipped tub. Won't be choosing to stay here again.

On a positive note, the front of house staff were very friendly.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Customer Servic... S, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback, we are undergoing the next phase of our refurbishment programme, your comments will be taken into consideration.
For reference we do have a number of different types of rooms and will happily show guests a selection in order to find a suitable room type!
Regards
Anita Tarry/Customer Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Polish first
Wallington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I have stayed in this hotel many times before, it was always looked little bit on the tiled side at this particular time as a customer of a large company that operate in Solihull area the rooms were booked for us we arrived to be greeted by a very nice young lady polite but immediately took a swipe of the credit card which is normal but not £100 that unnerved me wasn't exactly happy about my credit card and my receipt indicating £100 of expenditure.

We entered the main bar area where we was immediately hit by the most atrocious odour of stale beer, rotten drains people had vacated a particular area due to the pungent throat grabbing smell I have worked in the drainage industry/environmental sector for 25 years it made me gag when we spoke to the main manager he was completely unaware that they had this inherent problem when we then spoke to the Barman he said yes there's been an ongoing problem and maintenance are fully aware of that but were unable to rectify the problem and will be back on Monday, this was Thursday night while was there not somebody there rectifying the problem and unblocking the drain immediately. The manager was really nice really helpful tried to bend over backwards to accommodate myself or my colleague but unfortunately our close of now been impregnated with this odour and we were unable to go out. The following morning I went to breakfast where I have to say that the layout at 8 o'clock in the morning was relatively poor I have seen considerably better in this hotel and expect considerably more there was a device that stored plates and warmed them through as you take one it rises, I started to take plates and every plate I had taken from the stack had the remnants of food either on the front or underneath it wasn't pleasant, then came the farcical joke a member of staff turned up with a new stack of plates there was approximately 15 in the stack pipe made, where I then said to this employee of the hotel, their dirty he said they would be, I wasn't working yesterday. Put the new stack in on top of the dirty plates and walked away.unfortunately there was a complete lack of staff to be honest with you it has just taken new ownership and I would say that the old management structure was a a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: good running water, warm. all of the rooms that I have stayed in this hotel have all been of the sam...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Customer Servic... S, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

We do have a procedure to enable guests to charge to their room where a pre-authorisation is taken, normally this is the room rate plus a nominal amount and is a holding amount by your bank which is released on check out, this is standard practise throughout most hotels and explained by our reception staff, please accept my apologies if there was any misunderstanding.

Due to adverse weather conditions and the exceptionally high underground water levels in the area we did experience (as did many companies) some problems which have been addressed by our maintenance department.

We do have very high standards of cleanliness in the restaurant area and your comments have been dealt with as a management issue. Immediate improvement has been implemented.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Travellers are raving about these Solihull hotels

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a Saturday night. The welcome was warm. The room was large, clean & comfortable with plenty of hanging space. Lots of hot water in the power shower. Free parking & WiFi, all for 62 (room only). We're definitely going back when we need to be in the area again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Customer Servic... S, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Ramada Solihull very soon.
Regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I have the pleasure of having to visit this hotel every two weeks and have done so now for several months.
The food is always excellent and the service is better than what your mother would give.

Overall I am very impressed with this hotel and what it offers.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Many thanks for your very complimentary review!
We hope to welcome you back to Ramada Solihull very soon.
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I booked this hotel online and arrived at 9.40pm after a 3 hour drive only to find my reservation could not be found. The receptionist did her best to accommodate me and allocated room 228. The room was located in a part of the building where the corridor was cold and the room had no heating, a dehumidifier in the corner and cold air coming into the room through what looked like an extractor. The room was in poor decor and dirty and the telephone did not work. It looked as though the room was being refurbished but that the job had only started. The restaurant had closed so I went to the bar which served food till 10pm. At 9.50pm I was told that I could only get food via room service so I went to an excellent indian next door. After dinner I returned to the room which was freezing. There was constant noise from beer kegs being moved outside. At 1.30am I phoned reception and explained the room was cold. I was moved to room 10 which was in good condition and empty! The night manager was helpful and apologised and agreed that having no heating in February was unacceptable. He said he would note the position and agreed that compensation should be made. On checking out this morning no adjustment to my bill had been made and no record noted. The receptionist confirmed my telephone number and said I would get a call today from the Customer Service Manager. At 10.50pm no call has been received or message left from anyone at Ramada. Needless to say I will not be staying with the Ramada chain again and will take my custom elsewhere - after all there is lots of choice available.

• Stayed February 2014
All of our bedrooms have individually controlled thermostats so that every guest can alter the room temperature to their liking, our maintenance department will ensure the room is inspected and any improvements will be made.
Thank you for your valuable feedback.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Ramada Solihull on a Friday night whilst doing some weekend house hunting in the area. I was surprised how quiet the hotel was as usually weekends are busy and noisy, maybe we were lucky!
The hotel location is excellent, right in the town centre and a short walk to shops, bars and restaurants.
Checking in was smooth and efficient. Our room was very large with a mezzanine level, not what we were expecting but excellent. Unfortunately the tv's were not set up properly meaning I had to fiddle with the TV and free view box to access some channels.
Breakfast was decent, although the pastries didn't seem fresh and there was no milk on the tables for tea/coffee.
I would certainly stay again if in the area.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bsnsjone
We are pleased you chose to stay with us and hope you will return soon.
I have forwarded your comments to the restaurant staff to ensure improvements are made.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This was our second stay in this hotel
Again luckily had a room over looking the bowling green
The room was clean and had all the basics of a normal business style accommodation
The reception staff where very friendly and helpful
The buffet breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice
The main reason for us staying in the hotel was to attend a dinner dance function
In the hotels dance / banqueting area that had been organised by the kings Norton motor cycle club that featured music played by a most excellent and very talented group called Prime Mustard
The Georges hotel bar and kitchen staff must be congratulated for the excellent standard of service and the piping hot food that was professionally served thanks for a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: rooms over looking the bowling green poss best but some are a long walk from reception but that als...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
It is always rewarding to receive a complimentary review for which we thank you!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Ramada Solihull very soon.