“On the food front it was England 0 - Italy 1”
Review of Giovanni's

Giovanni's
Ranked #6 of 296 Restaurants in Solihull
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: I don't think that this restaurant is listed on TA at the moment, and I would like to submit a review.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“On the food front it was England 0 - Italy 1”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We went in two day's before the England - Italy game and were greeted by two great Italians. I said 'we've come to check out the competition' - they laughed and played along with with some fun footie banter.

So here's our truth, two things make a great restaurant, the food of course and the service. These guy's have it all. The owner/chef popped out to say hi and check in we were happy and his cooking was spot on, fantastic pasta and and all was served with a smile by the two football crazy waiters...

I'm writing this on the day of the BIG Match and predicting that Italian football right now is like a bowl of spaghetti, a bit of a mess - and that the simplicity of pie and chips will win over tonight - come on England - Pie & Chips 2 - Spaghetti 1...

Thanks for a fun night out and some great food and service guys...

Tony & Nicki

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Nice authentic restaurant”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was my first visit to this restaurant, which was for my mother in law's birthday. There were four of us in total and we were made to feel welcome as soon as we arrived. The staff are pleasant and have a good sense of humour, which I liked.

The food choice is quite wide and in fact all the food we had was very well cooked. I even had a dessert which is unusual for me! It was delicious too. The chef/owner came to our table and had a chat to us too, which is a really nice touch. The atmosphere of the restaurant feels fantastic when it starts to fill up - albeit the tables are quite tightly packed in, but this wasn't a problem once we were sat down. (Isn't that how it is in Italy anyway!?)

We ordered coffee to finish with. The waiter bought our coffee over and apologised for the delay. We hadn't realised there had been a delay - but to compensate us for the "dealy" he offered us all a free drink at the end of the meal complimentary of the restaurant. Another little touch - albeit unneccesary - which went down very well with everyone.

Would we go back - without hesitation.

Very Good food - Very Good Service - Very Good staff - Very Good Atmosphere. Very Good Restaurant.

1 Thank Jamie_Cartwright
Solihull
“Comprehensive menu, very good food”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Visited on Saturday evening with my husband and daughter. Drinks ordered, a bottle of wine for the, and a soft drink for me with water for the table. For starters my daughter and I ordered carpaccio and my husband had the mushrooms. Service was prompt and the food good. For the main course my husband ordered the steak from the special menu while my daughter and I had the fillet steak asking for the sauce on the side. When the meal was served the steak was presented with the sauce over the steak, not as requested. The waiter did apologise and although there was an excessive amount of sauce in each serving the meal was tasty and the steak cooked to perfection. Desserts were cheesecake, tiramisu and I had the cheese plate which was adequate however, the blue cheese was very good and served with biscuits and celery.
At the end of the meal, the chef came over to check everything had been alright with the meal, which it had with the food which was well cooked and extremely good. The down point was that although someone came to pour the wine for my husband and daughter, I was not asked if I wanted another drink and I had to drain the water jug which also was not refilled during the meal. I think I would re-visit this restaurant but would hope that on a future visit, the drinks service would show some improvement.

Solihull
“Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

First visit to this highly acclaimed restaurant will not be my last. The food was excellent, the service was very good. The price was average for this type of establishment. The owner touring round his guests to ask if everything was OK was a nice personal touch. The only thing I would comment on was the fact that the tables are crammed in so there is not much room in the restaurant.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Disappointing, underwhelmed”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We went along to celebrate a birthday; I was encouraged to try Giovanni's for the first time after having read excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. I can honestly say I would not return and am astounded at all the reviews which highly recommend it. The service was good and efficient, staff friendly but there it stops. There was a lack of atmosphere (Thursday evening), lighting too bright and it reminded me of eating in a shop. The house white wine was nowhere near chilled enough and the food very, very disappointing. We had the set menu, but even allowing for the reduced prices, I was completely underwhelmed. The food lacked imagination and the sorts of finishing touches that would have made it look far more attractive. It just did not look like food from a good standard restaurant. Portions were on the small side and accompanying veg, potatoes, salad etc. in short supply and very unimaginative. Overall more like a canteen meal. I cannot comment on what the A La Carte food would have been like, but on the basis of our experience I would certainly not return to find out.

4 Thank Dinkytandy