“Family treat”

Ranked #16 of 293 Restaurants in Solihull
Price range: US$18 - US$30
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European, Bangladeshi
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Family treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The food was great!!! very creative menu and choice of authentic dishes with a modern twist. Owner to had to give you that personal service, recommended to try this place for any occasion. Do book as it's small seating area.

2 Thank Wi5per

East Sussex, United Kingdom
“£9.95 for 2 courses on Tuesdays”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Went their on Tripadvisor recommendation. Was very busy and glad we booked in advance. Have no liquor licence so went next door to an "offy" to get some wine. Had starter, main, side dish and rice for an incredible £9.95, Tuesdays only , and the food ad service were superb. Charming owner offered to show us round the kitchen after our meal. Great place but book.

3 Thank Mark W
Cork, Ireland
“I would highly recommend this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I was in the area for work and came across this place on trip advisor. It had high ratings here and did not disappoint!
The food was very good, the staff were incredibly nice and it was a reasonably priced meal.
What more can you ask for I guess!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank DPOSull
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Good find, worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Having read all the positive reviews about Zengz, I thought it was about time to make a visit, this happened last Saturday night. Glad I made a reservation, the place was packed, a good sign and the food we ate backed up its popularity.

Decore is modern and contemporary , no flock wallpaper here, with very attentive staff. Abs the owner is quite a character and is very passionate about his food, even showing me his kitchen when we were leaving, not something many restaurants offer. The menu is pretty much standard fayre, but does have some interesting specials, but as it was my first visit, I stuck with my baseline dish, chicken tikka jalfrezi, I was not disappointed. Portion size was good, quality chicken in a hot and spicy sauce with plenty of peppers and chilies. Rice is served in a neat little bowl, it did not look as though there was much when it was presented, but it turned out that it was more than enough. The popadoms were freshly cooked and crisp, accompanied with a good selection of dips. My fellow diners all said that they enjoyed the food they chose. The only disappointment I had, and this is only a minor point, was that they did not serve kulfi, even though it was on the desert menu, a shame.

All in all a good find and a return visit is a definite, very worthy of the high praise it receives, but remember to book if going at the weekend. They do not serve alcoholic drinks, this is a plus and the off-license is just a couple of doors away.

Highly recommended.

2 Thank Wafto
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Great food, I can see some room for improvement on service from certain memebrs of staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We came from our honeymoon, and driving back from the airport we wanted to have some "good" takeaway, and as many, we were tried of going for the mediocre indian takeaway. After consulting TA, and realizing that one of the weak reviews haven't even tried the food (but rather complaining about the service), we decided to go for it as after all we are having takeaway (that review was for a takeaway too that did not happen).

They had a 25% off if you order over £20, and the guy who took our order on the phone insisted that we print the voucher to be able to use it, and although there was not truly a voucher to print, we printed the whole page, but manage to get into the car without it! We arrived to Zenga just before 11pm, and the guy who took our order said he will need to charge us full price as we forgot the voucher, and as he was processing the charges (paid by card), the other guy (owner?), came out and said don't worry about the voucher - but it was too late already as we have already paid. The other guy was a lot more approachable and reasonable, and he put you at ease when you see him right away, although the first guy was quite polite, but he probably have more limited power, but we thought he could've asked at least, and I thought that is probably the reason for the different opinions on TA.

We took our food and as we got home we discovered that they have also added some dips and some papdums, not sure if they do that regulalry or as a special gesture since we paid full amount), but one item that we ordered was missing (the coconut rice). We were very tired coming back from a trip, a flight and a long drive from Gatwick, and we were not sure of what we should be doing. I called straight away (they close at 11pm), and it was the second guy (owner?), who answered. He responded in the same efficient and friendly manner you would expect from any caring member working in a hospitality sector. He apologized, took our address, and promised to deliver it himself within ten minutes.

Quality of the food:
I wouldn't exaggerate if I said this is one of the best Indian food I have tried for a long long time. I ordered the coconut rice, where you actually taste the coconut (unlike in some thai restaurant I have ordered before). They are not stingy in the best ingredients and you can taste it there. The Kudus Goost was brilliant (first time ever I tried indian food with pumpkin, and it was absolutely brilliant). The jalfraizi and the rice was also cooked to perfection. The started (the sweet and sour chicken with puffy bread) was absolutely divine. And it was the first time I couldn't stop filling on the papadums with the brilliant dips (two different dips and some chopped onions).

As the title said, it wouldn't harm to see some room of improvement specially regarding flexibility when dealing with costumers, as this will add to the experience, and although we didn't mind it, I really wish this place to be the best without reservation by anyone, because it well deserves it, and positive critique is always helpful. But while others there are truly just exceptional, and the quality of the food is superb, we will definitely try it again as eat in costumers, and I cannot give this place less than 5 stars. Love it.

3 Thank Sam F