The St. John's Hotel
US$72
US$114
US$98
CrownePlaza.com
The Oak Hotel(Hockley Heath)(Great Value!)
US$54
Priceline
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
1,220 results
All reviewstown centrewould stay againleisure facilitiescar parkingsteam roombuffet stylebirmingham airportfollowing morningstayed for one nightleisure clubnecevent
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed overnight on a Saturday after Mayors Ball. We use this hotel a lot for meetings etc but had not stayed here for several years as we live locally. Hotel facilities are excellent but the bar prices are excessive. Room was very good as was the breakfast with a good selection of both hot and cold dishes. Had a coffee in the pleasant hidden garden. Overall a good stay and excellent value at about £70

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at The St Johns Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Mayors Ball function as much as my team and I did. The event was a success and it is a great joy to read the reviews following this.

It is great to hear that you found the hotels facilities excellent and you enjoyed our breakfast and garden area.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

Booked 2 rooms for one night with Trip Advisor discount offer attending a conference here. Very helpful reception staff, room a bit tired but well equipped and clean. Housekeeping staff looked busy and engaged keeping this rambling place up to standard. Good leisure facility and pool 9 strokes long just enough for energetic morning swim. Good breakfast but had to wait for coffee to be served. Bar was expensive and decided against fairly pricey evening meal and ate at nearby excellent Indian restaurant

• Stayed: May 2013
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay at The St Johns Hotel, I am delighted that you had a enjoyable stay.

I will be passing your comments onto the relevent departments within the hotel.

I hope that we can welcome you back to St Johns in the future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 30 April 2013

My daughter and I spent Friday night at this hotel, as it was the venue for a birthday celebration the next day. Our room was spacious, attractively decorated and with an additional bed set up if required. We booked a table in the restaurant for dinner, not realising that the bar menu would have better suited our needs and been far less expensive. Anyway, I ordered salmon which was very bland, but as a strict vegetarian my daughter ordered the butternut squash option. At the point of taking her first mouthful, she realised with shock and disbelief that the dish was full of chicken pieces. The chef had clearly forgotten what was on the menu. She then decided to have something savoury and asked for cheese and biscuits. However, this was misunderstood and she was brought tea and chocolate biscuits - a strange replacement for a main course if they would have thought about it. Anyway, we were not charged and found a complimentary bottle of wine waiting in our room. Come the next day, the food at the luncheon was quite acceptable and I gather that the hotel had a lovely swimming pool although we didnt have time to use it.

Room Tip: Ask for it to be large enough to accommodate an extra bed
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The St Johns Hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the mix up with your daughters food, this is not the standard that we adhere to and I will be speaking to our Executive Head Chef to ensure that this doesn't happen again as it is clearly unacceptable. However, I am glad that the food during your celebration was acceptable.

Our Quality Wins team meet monthly to discuss feedback, to make sure that all comments and suggestions are taken on board, so that we may improve the service that we offer.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Spent two nights here on a short holiday (Solihull is really exotic, didn't you know?), and the hotel couldn't be better placed. There's a bus stop outside going straight into Birmingham, the train station is 5 minutes walk away, as is the town centre and every variety of restaurant you could reasonably expect. Parking is also more than ample.

On getting to our room on first glance its clear where the 4 star came from, it was a good size, the bathroom was decent, everything was clean, and the bed looked very comfortable. However, the décor is in desperate need of a lick of paint and a bit of TLC. I'd hazard a guess that it was all bought new in the early 90's and has seen some 'action' since then.

Every item in the room showed some sign of wear, from the flaky window sill, to the wall mounted lights dangling by a loose socket joint, to the broken tile in the bathroom, to the unidentified marks on the carpet (boot polish was my best guess). Our bed was practically concave as well, causing me and the wife to roll into each other during the night. I personally didn't mind but she wasn't as keen...

The air conditioning units for the building we were in were also directly above our room, and when they went on in the night you certainly knew about it! Fortunately it was few and far between and didn't disturb our sleep significantly.

The pool wasn't spectacular, and you can smell the chlorine as you approach via the bar (having to pass through the bar on the way out is genius by the way), but more than suffices for a good few lengths before bed and an unwind in the jacuzzi.

I can't fault the service, and the staff were friendly and helpful, particularly at reception. I think we'd come back again but would perhaps request two single beds this time to avoid unexpected intimacy.

The location and staff make this hotel worthwhile and the facilities make it comfortable, but it feels like its time for the decorators to pop in.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your detailed feedback following your stay at The St Johns Hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you found the staff friendly and you would return to the hotel.

With regards to the general appearance of the accommodation at St Johns, we are on the cusp of embarking on an extensive refurbishment programme in the summer which will encompass the majority of the bedrooms at the hotel.

I will be passing your comments onto the relevant departments.

I do hope we can welcome you back to St Johns in the future.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

I must say I'm very disappointed with the prices at the bar... I mean where do I start... A cup of coffee £4 which is instant!! A bottle of house wine for nearly £20??? I think this hotel is missing a trick, we had colleagues staying at the premier inn at Solihull. Excellent service, good food and the bar is reasonably priced... So we checked out of the St. John's and stayed the remaining 3 nights. We are back in May for 14 days and staying at Premier inn and planning to enjoy ourselves at their bar. Anyways, the St. John needs to be more competitive and fair in relation to their food/bar prices.... Drove me right out to another hotel, how many others have done this??

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent visit to St Johns Hotel.

All of our Tempus Bar & Restaurant prices are agreed via our Head Office which reflects the grading of a 4* property. However, I will be passing your comments onto the relevent department at Head Office.

I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.