“Indifferent hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Solihull
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Indifferent hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

This is a large hotel with some positive and some less so attributes. The reception welcome was functional but I sensed the receptionist just wanted to get to the end of her shift. My room was cold with no response from the thermostat. The bed was very comfortable, clean and the ensuite excellent with a very good shower. Unfortunately the combination of the cold and the persistent traffic noise made for a poor nights sleep. The meal in the restaurant was well cooked and tasty but nothing I would not expect from a good pub but without the value, it certainly did not surprise me that the restaurant was almost empty. This hotel is typical of the large efficient faceless organisations running many hotels, ideal if you need a hotel in Solihull but not somewhere I would book for my family.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the main road.......and take an extra jumper!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear D10genes,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay.

I apologise for the low temperature in your room and the inconvenience this caused you throughout your stay. I have relayed your comments to the Maintenance manager who will look to rectify the problem.
I’m glad you were able to enjoy your meal in our restaurant as the seasonal menu provides options for varied pallets and is most popular during peak seasons.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope you are able to visit the St Johns hotel soon.

Darren McGhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Swindon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I was booked into the St Johns for 1 night only on a deal with bed,breakfast,afternoon tea and a bottle of wine +£10 M & S Voucher, Great deal for £99....... Was until I had a phone call to say they were overbooked and they would move us to another hotel!!!!
Deeply disappointed as we are regular visitors to the St Johns.
Only offered a twin room in another hotel, not happy with that.
Spoke to their Reservations Manager Claire Morby, She quickly resolved the issue, we had an upgraded double room in the Ramada Hotel, all other bookings were transferred to the Ramada, afternoon tea, bottle of wine, Well Done Claire.
Although my review is average, because we were disappointed at being moved on, after that the response from the St Johns was excellent.
We did return that evening to the St Johns for an evening meal which was very good.

Dear Michael N,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent trip to Solihull.

I would like to apologise once again for the inconvenience and disappointment caused through transferring you to another hotel. This is certainly a less than desirable situation and not common practice at our hotel.
I would like to thank you for your positivity and patience and hope to welcome you back to the St Johns Hotel soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the St Johns Hotel while visiting Jaguar/Land rover in Solihull. My initial impression of the hotel was that it was ill placed with unsightly flats opposite, but I understand that they can do very little about that.

The hotel itself was clean, had good facilities I.e. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, sauna & steam room. My room was adequate, clean and housed modern fixtures. The best was spotlessly clean, comfortable and warm.

My colleagues and I dined in the hotels restaurant. There service at best was very inconsistent. The food was decent but the portion sizes were a complete joke. I feel that I did not receive valve for money in the restaurant.

All in all an average experience.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Matthew F,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay with us.

I have considered your comments regarding dinner in our restaurant and am disappointed that our prices appear unjustified for our food offering. I will certainly relay your comments regarding portion sizes to the Group Executive Head Chef as all food and beverage prices are regulated by Head Office in keeping with the Four Star rating of the Hotel.

I am however; glad you found the hotel amenities to your liking and were able to enjoy the leisure facilities on offer to our guests.

Gairloch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights as part of conference package. Staff work hard to support presenters and those working hard to entertain/inform. Staffing levels for the conference dinner were a bit lower than I have experienced elsewhere so service was not fantastic e.g. ran out of water. Very handy for Bham Intl airport. And finally, the taxi driver they organised to take us back to the airport was hilarious! He made the trip - and would undermine anyone's preconceptions about muslims.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear Gacks,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit to St Johns hotel.
There is every effort made to welcome and cater to the needs of all our guests and so I am disappointed that you found the staffing levels inadequate for your event. I will investigate this further taking board on your comments for future events.

I do hope you are able to stay with us once again in the near future.

Bridgend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed here for 1 night as part of a bundle with airport parking.
Found it reasonably easily (blaming my sleep deprived brain!!)
Warmly welcomed, and seemed nicely decorated throughout on first impression.
Our room was fine, not huge, but plenty for us, really comfy beds, lovely clean white sheets, and great pillows (important!)
Loads of hot water, so a nice hot bath (although the bath was a bit small), and warm towels thanks to the heated towel rail. We were only given a single towel which was a bit weird, although I guess I could have asked for more felt a bit cheeky doing it.
Had a great night's sleep.
Breakfast the next morning was great.
Free parking and free wifi also were very welcome.
In short, perfect for a single night stay and would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: No idea! Our room was fine.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear HelenFoley,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us.
I am glad you were able to avail of and fully enjoy the perks of our Holiday extras package.
I apologise for the inconvenience of having to use a single towel as there is a second set in the wardrobe. I will consider a better method of communicating this so as to save further confusion with our guests in the future.

I do hope to welcome you back to The St Johns Hotel in the very near future.

Worcestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

After reading reviews on this hotel, 50% good, 50% bad, we were not sure whether we should stay or not, but we decided to and I have to say, take as you find, it was lovely hotel. The size took us by suprise, it was enormous. Nicely furnished throughout all of ground floor and our room on first floor was very nice and modern. Only problem we had was a constant droning noise all night in our bedroom which turned out to be faulty air conditioning unit which we were assured would be reported to maintenance and the problem would be rectified. I have to mention the pillows - these were superb, so comfortable and gave a beautiful nights sleep. Leisure centre was very good with lovely swimming pool, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi. Restaurant was very smart and the breakfast was superb, a chef that can cook scrambled eggs to perfection. Hotel is nicely placed to do some shopping at Solihull Touchwood Centre. It proved to be a very good one night break.

Room Tip: By the look of the reviews the rooms on the 4th floor are the ones still awaiting refurbishment.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear LauraWorcestershire,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The St Johns Hotel.
I am delighted you were able to enjoy the hotel’s facilities as well as the amenities on offer in Solihull. I have however noted your comments regarding the comfort cooling in your room which have been addressed by maintenance.

I do hope I am able to welcome you back to The St Johns Hotel in the very near future.

Devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had a fantastic deal on this hotel with included off- site parking from Holiday Extras. On arrival, there was no record of our reservation, but this was sorted out within 10 minutes most courteously. We found we had been upgraded to a very spacious room, which was really quite good, but far from luxurious.
We did not eat in the hotel but walked a few hundred yards to an excellent Italian restaurant, and left too early the next day to have breakfast.
Unforgivably, they forgot our 6 am wake-up call. Thank goodness i had set the alarm clock!

Dear DevonGrockle,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The St Johns Hotel and for providing feedback following your stay.

I’m glad you were able to avail of the holiday extras package on offer and apologise for the inconvenience regarding the mis-communication with your booking on arrival.
I’m glad you were able to leave for your destination on time and am sorry once again for the error regarding your wake up call. I understand the importance of this service and will ensure your comments are communicated to the relevant teams.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back to the St Johns hotel where you will be able to enjoy more of the facilities the hotel has to offer.