“Not bad, but really not that good.”

The St. John's Hotel
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Solihull
Kent, England
“Not bad, but really not that good.”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

If I could use one word to sum up my 4 night stay then it would be average. Don't necessarily be put off by the many negative reviews as I personally don't think that the hotel is as bad as some make out, but it's not for me to comment of what others have experienced before me.

Yes, I did have a clean but somewhat dated room and a reasonable nights sleep but all in all things were 'average', unfortunately nothing more and thankfully nothing less although I can see where some reviewers may be coming from. The hotel does appear to be in need of expenditure and updating in order to meet the needs of the more discerning traveller, but as somewhere to sleep for the night then there are no real issues.

A good location for Solihiull town centre and the various eat out options that are available there, the hotel restuarant prices were to say the least pretty expensive for a typical 'run of the mill' menu. I cannot comment on what the standard of food and service were like as I did not indulge.

Unfortunately the hotel staff that I encountered appear to be lacking in a real desire to make the paying customer welcome, perhaps a smile here or there may help!!

If I was staying at St John's at my own expense I would probably be disappointed, fortunately I wasn't.

Room Tip: For a blackout room try to avoid rooms to the front as the hotel floodlights stay on all night and t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank System38
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear System38

Thank you for your recent stay and the feedback you have provided as it greatly aids in our constant aspiration to provide great service to all our guests.

I am concerned that you were underwhelmed with your stay with us as there are constant efforts made to ensure that our guest’s expectations are met throughout their stay with us.

I apologise for your disappointment with your room allocation as there are a selection of our rooms which will be the focus of our rooms refurbishment programme due to commence in April. I am sorry if this impacted on your stay with us or provided a poor representation of our Hotel.

Thank you once again for your comments as they will aid in us implementing the relevant changes. I do hope you are able to return in the near future for a more pleasant experience.

Yours sincerely,

Darren McGhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stopped New Year's Eve, there was a fight outside my room and the hotel let it go on for 2 hours. After complaining on the day, writing a letter and 3 phone calls later, I was told no compensation would be given, they followed correct procedure. My friend also had his watch pinched out of the room and was told, take it as it's gone, there is nothing we can do. Wouldn't stop there again if I was paid to, disgusting customer service

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank jmac128
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Mrs Fortnam,

I am sorry you felt compelled to post your comments online following the numerous emails and phone calls between the hotel and yourself.

There has been a thorough investigation into the missing watch mentioned in your comments. After a detailed security check there was no evidence of forced entry into any of the bedrooms in question nor any abnormal activity recorded on our electronic door lock mechanisms. We have a very robust lost property system in place and are currently unable to substantiate any records of a watch reported missing or further records of a watch found within the hotel. In line with our Company Policy, if the guest in question would like to contact the hotel directly to complete an incident report form we would gladly be of assistance.

I do apologise once again for the disturbance from the adjoining room. The hotel endeavours to provide a peaceful nights rest for all our guests. In this particular case however, the hotel made every effort to lessen the noise impact on other guest bedrooms once informed of the altercation. The celebratory nature of New Years Eve would naturally result in the noise associated with the party atmosphere and the hotel is not liable for the capricious conduct of guests within their rooms.

The Duty Manager on the night conducted regular floor walks in line with our Fire procedures and when informed of the disturbance, addressed the guests directly. A further evaluation of the situation, led to it being diffused in a timely and professional manner.

Our hotel has continually highlighted our commitment to ensuring guests feel welcomed and enjoy their stay with us. It is evident that this is an isolated incident as we have received an abundance of positive feedback regarding New Years Eve and I apologise that you felt this was not the case.

Yours sincerely,

Darren McGhee

Travellers are raving about these Solihull hotels

roldan. Murcia
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Fag but on chair in bedroom,all rooms should be non smoking, housekeeping NOT DOING THERE JOB! disgustingly dirty window and inside frame when opened, BLACK,!!! Cracked sink, chipped floor tile in bathroom and wall paper peeling off the walls. Grey towels, stains on dressing table from previous guests and dusty furniture. I spoke to the duty manager direct as I would not normally do this. I was told that I would be contacted by the hotel for a free night for 2people bed and breakfast, I did explain I would not want to come back, but would give it to a friend as I had paid for the awful night. Breakfast was also a joke, a hotel with no hot chocolate, no butter and egg shells in the fried eggs. I have not been contacted by anyone from this hotel, even though they asked for all my email details and phone number as I originally booked through super breaks. I used to be a hilton mystery guest and I have to say this hotel is a joke!

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank lynette080660
Dear lynette080660,

Thank you for the feedback you have provided following your recent stay.

I am concerned at your comments regarding the overall appearance of your room. It is certainly unacceptable for guests to be presented with rooms so unlike our aspired Standards of cleanliness and presentation. Your comments have however been shared with the Executive Housekeeper as well as Maintenance Manager and their respective teams. The series of issues encountered regarding your room is certainly not acceptable and I would like to apologise for your discomfort, I can assure full training will be reissued regarding the expected standards of cleanliness and levels of inspection to be carried out.

I have taken onboard your comments regarding the breakfast offering and the items lacking as well as concerns which have been brought up with the Executive Head Chef. There are constant efforts made to meet the needs of all our guests and the quality of service you experienced certainly requires improvement.

I would like to thank you once again for the comments you have provided as it aids in our constant development and the improvement of our service.

Kind regards,

Darren McGhee,
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I visited the St Johns for a business conference and stayed for two nights. The room I stayed in was OK, but nothing special. The bed was two singles pushed together, which is probably the least comfortable sleeping accommodation possible.

The room looked like it could have done with some work - the carpet showed signs of where a radiator has been removed, the door on the bathroom rubbed on the ceiling and it looked like one of the bedside tables had rubbed against the wall taking some of the paper off. It was a good thing I didn't want to watch TV as the reception was flaky at best. I am not sure how good the cleaning was as, when I unrolled the bath mat, a used shower gel bottle fell out.

The lunch in the main restaurant was nice, however with only one service point, the speed of people getting food was very slow. This may be due to the plans of the organiser, but the length of the queue was not good.

None of the things was so annoying that I felt that I had to speak to reception about it, they were just minor annoyances that detracted from the stay.

Room Tip: The lifts to the low number rooms (x00 - x26 or so) is very slow and they are fair walk from recepti...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Rob T
Claremorris, Ireland
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a 50th birthday party. Good rooms and great service. We had 2 rooms as we are a family of 2 adults and 3 children 9 12 13. Breakfast was really good. Staff were really good and we enjoyed our time very well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear goldenruledriving,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The St Johns Hotel.

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and would re-visit our hotel. It was a pleasure hosting your event and I hope to welcome you back to The St Johns Hotel soon.

Yours Sincerely,

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Excellent stay over food & drinks great however a little pricey enjoyed leisure club & close to solihull town centre.
Room was dated though clean & welcoming
There was a little noise from event down stairs was over by 12.30-0100
Staff where brill would stay again!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Adam9998,

Thank you for your recent visit to The St Johns Hotel and for taking the time to provide feedback.

I am glad you were able to enjoy the hotel’s facilities and found our central location to Solihull favourable.
I am disappointed you found the food and beverage prices in our bar and restaurant prohibitive as they are currently regulated by the group Head office in line with The St Johns Hotel’s Four Star rating.

I do hope to welcome you back to The St Johns Hotel in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We had dinner in the restaurant on Friday 10/1/14 we were a party of six, four adult and two children.
The food was terrible, the adults ordered Ribeye Steak which was served cold, we complained to the waitress who took them back to Kitchen. we were then told that they only had two Ribeyes left so two of us would have to have sirloin (this is a Friday night 7.30pm!!!). When we eventually received the steaks mine was burnt, we complained the waiter did take my steak of the bill.. but delt with as if it was run of the mill, apologies were given but we all felt they were not meant
The dining experience was miserable it was so cold I had to keep my coat on (the others had thick jumpers on so they were ok). The quality of the food was dismal.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family