“Ok”

Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Solihull
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Ok”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Big hotel, friendly staff, extremely hot though. We parked under a lamp directly across from reception and our car got absolutely covered in bird poo. Not something you want to be cleaning off at 5am when your needing to get to the airport. Maybe the trees need cutting back? Wake up call. Good price.

Stayed February 2014
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear sweetpotato25,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the feedback you have provided.

I have taken on board your comments and will look at perhaps trimming the tree branches over our car park.

I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Darren McGhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

surprised this is a 4 star hotel . The bedroom was very hot the only way to cool it was switch off the heating and open the window. There was mould in the grouting in the bathroom and the mattress was too small for the divan. On checking out another guest was complaining about the same thing

we did try to phone reception to change room but none answered

Room Tip: apparently the 3rd floor is better
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jeremy H,

Thank you for your recent visit during the Crufts show.

I apologise that your room was an uncomfortable temperature throughout your stay and will highlight this fact to the current engineers on site.

In regards to the bedroom issues you have highlighted, I have discussed these with our Executive Housekeeper who will ensure the relevant re-training will take place as these are certainly not the standards of cleanliness we aim to present to our guests.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back next year when the issues you have highlighted have been rectified.

King regards,

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

I met Mikey when i checked in on Thursday the 6th of March. I was greeted by a well dressed young gentlemen with a warm welcome from Mikey and a lovely smile that made me feel at home. We had an appropriate conversation about the long day i had; as he asked how my day was so far. He then directed me to my room really well, explained the key cards. Breakfast times, restaurant times, and locations of where these were held. Throught out my stay i came across Mikey quite often. He was working in the restaurant which shows a good all round member of staff. Mikey once again greeted me at the door remembering my surname which really impressed me. Mikey served me throughout the night. His service was fantastic. I checked out on the 7th, once again i was served by Mikey. Check out was really quick, he asked if my stay was ok, asked about the food in the restaurant also printed me a map which was very very useful. After checking out i had to wait in reception area for my partner to come from using the loo. A young child caught his finger in the door which caught the attention of Mikey. Mikey came out his way i attend the young boy and his mother. He then handled the situation very well and stopped the poor young boy from crying by giving him a lolly pop and rubbing his hand better. I thought this was very helpful and not many staff would do so. Mikey is a huge asset to your company. I hope to see him when i come for my next stay.

Stayed March 2014
5 Thank 248fn
Dear 248fn

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at The St Johns Hotel and for the feedback you have provided on our staff.

I have shared your comments with Mikey and the team and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future to experience more of the hospitality the St Johns hotel aims to provide our guests.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Very pleasant stay for one night. My usual choice was fully booked as a result of an event at the NEC so took my chances with the St John's. Despite the size of the hotel, it gave the impression of being much smaller and this was down to the friendliness of the staff. Everyone was most welcoming and always had a smile and a hello whenever I met them. The common areas were large and airy and were extremely clean, well maintained and comfortable. The room was well appointed and clean and the bathroom was spacious and equally well maintained. The restaurant was very nice (I only used it for breakfast) but my only disappointment was that the 'hot' buffet items were only luke warm. Despite that minor inconvenience, I would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike E
Dear Mike E,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us.

I am delighted you found our hotel staff friendly and the facilities lived up to your expectations. I have taken on board your comments regarding the hot buffet items in our restaurant and will look to have the settings adjusted in order to provide maximum heat.

I do hope that I am able to welcome you back to The St Johns Hotel in the very near future.

Darren McGhee.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed here as working in the location and the company i work for paid for the stay, and glad they did as i would have been cancelling and staying at one of the many other hotels in the area which were far nicer and a lot cheaper.
Lots of different conferences going on there so the bar was always busy and the choice of bar meals was limited, and very pricey. The restaurant was a little better with more choice of food, still expensive for what it was tho.
Got to my room at 7pm after leaving my home at 6am and just wanted a cuppa while waiting for the bath to run but no kettle in the room. Asked at reception and could have sworn i had asked for the combination of the lock to the safe! Once had got the kettle sorted, got back to my room and went to run a bath only to find the room they had put me in was adapted with all sorts of bars and safety rails designed for disabled or elderly people. Asked if could change rooms and was abruptly told 'no chance'.
On top of this, had to pay for wifi which in this day and age is absurd.
On checking out at the end of the week, even tho the company i work for had booked and paid for the rooms in advance for my colleagues and myself were hit with bills which they said were 'supplement charges'. After a few words with our company these charges were soon wavered and we spent the next 9 weeks of working in the area at much better hotels for a lot less.
If i had to go to Solihull again (hopefully i wont have to) and this was the only hotel with rooms available, i would rather find a field and pitch a tent to sleep in.
Only good thing about the place was the location as it was close to the center so could pop out for food.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Heisenberg73,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay.

I am disappointed you found our food selection not only limited but prohibitive as the menu we offer in our Bar is a condensed form of our restaurant menu. It is hoped the menu would cater for the necessities of our guests during the hours our restaurant is closed through offering starters, sandwiches, Panini’s, salads, mains, pizzas, sides and Desserts. I have taken on board your comments however and will certainly share them with management as part of our on going commitment to our guests.

I apologise that your room did not have all you required on arrival and the extra mobility features in the bathroom were a hindrance to your comfort throughout your stay. There may have also been a mis-communication regarding the wifi code as this is printed on guest key card wallets and offers 24hr complementary internet service. I apologise if the team did not inform you of this on your arrival and will relay this information to the relevant managers.

I will ensure clearer payment instructions are issued before guests are presented with their bill on check-out, as these vary with different groups visiting the hotel.

I am disappointed to hear of your impression of our hotel but would like to thank you once gain for your feedback as it aids the development of our business and in meeting our guest’s expectations.

Darren McGhee

Travellers are raving about these Solihull hotels

Scarborough
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed here as part of a function and got the room rate apparently reduced. The room still cost us £125 for 1 night B & B for 2 adults and 2 children. After putting me on hold and checking with her boss, the receptionist told me that they would put an additional bed in the room, as the family room was only supposed to be for 3 people (?), but when we arrived this bed was nowhere to be seen. The room was spacious and the 2 single beds that were pushed together were fortunately big enough for our younger daughter to share with us, so really couldn't be bothered to make a fuss at reception which was manic! The rooms and corridors were quite tired looking and around the door frame to our room the paint was peeling and not really what we would expect for a hotel of this standard.
On a plus side, the food at the function was lovely as was the breakfast the following morning. Unfortunately even though they knew how many people were staying at the hotel and therefore had a rough idea of how many people would want breakfast, they ran out of mushrooms completely and couldn't keep up with the demand for cooked items even though no-one was being greedy and loading their plates high. There were no croissants/pastries left and very little fruit. I might add that we weren't late down for breakfast and many people came in after us.
The main issue I had was the price of the drinks at the bar - £8.25 for a glass of merlot was nothing short of robbery as it was average at best!
I probably wouldn't choose to stay here again if it wasn't for this function, simply because I don't think it's worth the money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bertie-havoc
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Bertie-havoc,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the feedback you have provided.

I have read through your comments and can only apologise for your dissatisfaction and the various issues you encountered throughout your stay.

I apologise for your room not being set to your specifications as this unfortunately may not have been done right initially due to human error but, certainly could have been rectified thus easing your discomfort throughout your stay.

I apologise for the delay in replenishing our breakfast buffet and the staffing levels will be looked at in order to prevent this occurring in future.

I am disappointed you found the items in our Bar and restaurant prohibitive as these are set and controlled centrally by our Head office in line with the four star rating of the hotel.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback as it aids in the development if our business.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I visited this hotel for a 3-day work conference. The conference facilities were very large with plenty of room for all the presentations and break-out activities. It was a shame that the air conditioners couldn't maintain a constant temperature - it blew out freezing cold air until it was too cold and then it blew out hot air until it got too hot. It never seemed to get it right.
The food was average - I got the impression they were trying to be more up-market than they actually were and just felt that the food would have been better if it was a bit more 'normal'. Breakfast was probably the best meal they served, with a buffet choice of cooked, cereal, toast and fruit. Lunch was a selection of buffet 'finger foods' but as I mentioned, much of it was too 'unusual' for my liking. Evening meals started with a soup of the day followed by a few mains in a buffet style, but the food was quite oily and the meat I found to be fatty.
The bedroom was quite tired looking with fairly old fixtures and a very lumpy bed which I found to be very uncomfortable. The basin in the bathroom was cracked and the bath was chipped.
Overall, I would not have graded this as a 4 star hotel, more 3 star.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Craig L
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Craig L,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us.

I apologise for the maintenance fault encountered in your conference room as this was unfortunately unexpected and has now been resolved.

I am disappointed the food was not to your liking as we offer a varied selection of food items in order to cater to the diverse pallets of our guests. The quality and standard of the food on offer is in keeping with the expectations of a four star establishment.

The issues you have highlighted regarding your bedroom have been shared with the team as this is certainly not what we aim to provide our guests. There are constant efforts directed towards the upkeep of the hotel and your comments will certainly aid in achieving this.

I would however like to thank you for your comments as they aid in the overall development of our business.