“stress free, pleasure”

Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Solihull
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“stress free, pleasure”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

stayed here night before our holiday. booked 2 family rooms and had airport parking included in the package.It was cosy, and clean and parking was not a stress at all.- also not charged.The Pool and sauna, were a hit with my children. Also close to lots of shops and takeaways. A McDonalds , a short drive down the road. The only negative point I can make, was that the rooms are very hot. I would def stay here again if we travel around brum.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Daffyduck967,

Thank you for your recent stay at The St Johns hotel, Solihull.

I am glad that we were able to provide a good start to your holiday and that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry you found your room too hot as this is sometimes the case during the transition from the winter to the summer months when our heating systems are still active.

I do hope that you are able to visit the St Johns Hotel, Solihull in the near future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Darren McGhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight before flying from Birmingham to Paris. Rooms clean and good food in restaurant. Would definitely stay again. Hotel was 15 mins from air parks. Well worth it for a hassle free start to our holiday.
Also, the use of the leisure facilities was great, had a swim, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Pete P,

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

St Johns Hotel is a 2 minute walk into town. Good for business and leisure. I stayed for one night during the week. The room is tidy and very clean. Bathroom and shower was. spotless.The staff are all very friendly and the bar is smart and clean. The pool and leisure facilities are also very well kept and managed. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DarrrenKR
Dear darrenkr,

Thank you for your recent stay at The St Johns hotel, Solihull.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and have provided such positive feedback.

Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed overnight before flying from Birmingham. Rooms clean and good food in restaurant. Would definitely stay again. Hotel was 15 mins from airparks and taxi to airport was 15 mins and £9 flat price. Well worth it for a hassle free start to our holiday

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Smokybear29,

east yorkshire
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Booked as part of a package through Holiday Extras. Hotel is really well situated, with shops and bars within a couple of minutes walk. Hotel is huge, there was a wedding for 600 going on when we arrived. With the exception of the full car park, you would not have known! Checked in straight away, by a really friendly chap. He put us on the top floor, just incase the wedding party got rowdy! Rooms were lovely and big, plenty of storage and clean. Our package included dinner, bed and breakfast. We assumed we would be limited for choice but no, we could order anything we wanted.The staff in the restaurant were amazing. Special mention to Sean, who was working his first ever shift. There was a couple of women, sat at the table next to us. OMG, what a performance. Pretend choking, shouting and swearing and for the grand finale, she fell on top of the next table, banging her head! Sean went above and beyond the call of duty, at one point, he actually grabbed a menu and stood there fanning the woman! We were very impressed, also very amused, we hadn't realised that there was a cabaret included. Staff dealt with the situation professionally and promptly. It turned out that the woman had had one too many. We were all offered complementary drinks by the lovely Laura. Would definitely recommend this hotel. Would return, even without the cabaret! The St. John hotel, should be very proud of its staff, you were all wonderful.

Room Tip: Top floor, very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear julieann_hare

Thanks you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at The St Johns Hotel. We are glad that you had a pleasant stay.

We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Yours sincerely,

Kingsbridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hotel is excellent as a conference facility - but did not appear to affect leisure guests adversely either.
Staff could not be more helpful, the hotel was comfortable, friendly and well organised.
Rooms were clean, comfortable and well maintained.
A buffet breakfast is always disappointing - but otherwise the food was good

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Linda E
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Linda E,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the St Johns Hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed the various aspects of your stay as highlighted in your feedback. Our buffet breakfast is aimed at providing a swift yet varied selection for our guests to enjoy without restriction which I hope you were able to benefit from.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the St Johns Hotel in the very near future to enjoy our other amenities such as our leisure club and Spa.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Let me just start by saying that the conference facilities are good. The breakfasts are great, lunch is ok and dinner is ok. I will say though that I paid nearly £4 for a latte in the bar and it tasted exactly like one of the ones out of the machines, not good. I also tried to by a packet of crisps as it was a couple of hours until dinner and I was hungry but they do not stock them, only nuts, which is fine but they had run out. So hunger it was.

The rooms are a bit tired and shabby and in need of a refresh and no matter what I did I could not help flooding the bathroom each time I showered as the seal was falling off.

A colleague reported to reception that her room had not been cleaned and that there was rubbish etc left in there from a previous guest. When she checked out 2 days later most of this was still there.

The BIG issue for me however was the temperature of my room and on the first night I was up every hour or so wafting the window open and closed to try to get some cool air in as the air conditioning was determined to heat the room up as much as possible no matter how low I set the A/C (18 is the lowest it will allow you, it was -4 outside).

I reported this the following day after having a terrible nights sleep, hardly what you need in preparation for a days conference, and was told that maintenance would have a look for me. I had noticed by this point that any time I left the room, the air conditioning would kick back in again at 21 degrees but I assure you it felt an awful lot higher than that. No matter how many times I tried to turn it off, back on it came. All of this was reported too.

Anyway, later in the day I was told that the issue was easily resolved by giving me another room key, so it would appear that this is a regular issue. Therefore, I can only assume as it was not confirmed, maintenance did not look at the issue. Sadly this trick did not resolve the issue as, when I returned to my room later that evening, it was still stifling. By 4am I had enough and called reception requesting a fan, which appeared some 10 minutes later. I must apologise to the young man who delivered the fan as unfortunately I was not at my best by this point and have to admit that he was met by a disheveled, grumpy and tired middle aged woman.

As you can imagine day two of the conference was also a bit of a slog as a result of another terrible nights sleep.

I have just read other reviews saying about the temperature in some rooms being too hot and people needing a fan just three weeks ago and saw the general manager responding stating that he would have housekeeping and maintenance have a look at these issues but sadly I can report that not much seems to have happened as yet.

Room Tip: Inside rooms on the second floor have windows that open out on to a flat roof which means if you are...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank ShushJones

Travellers are raving about these Solihull hotels