“Not quiet a 4 Star...”

The St. John's Hotel
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Solihull
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Well, maybe a few years ago...We arrived on a Monday after spending the day at Drayton Manor. We were upgraded to a suite, which was very spacious, but as others have already said, the hotel is getting pretty worn down, and could do with a freshen up. Pool area was ok, could also do with a clean up. The hotel restaurant was closed, apparently due to lack of business. Luckily, the location is good, so were able to pop into town for something good to eat. The breakfast was ok. The saucers they provide to eat off could do with an upgrade. Not sure if they are trying to make people feel uncomfortable about getting up for more to eat, so offer small plates; it didn't work in my case. After breakfast, I went to go for a swim with my son. I was told that the hotels electric would be shut down from 10am, and they were not sure when this would be fixed and up and running. Obviously, this was a bit of a shock, and not ideal business practice for a hotel. However, I must add, that the staff were helpful and understanding, even though that was the first we had heard of it. On the whole, an ok hotel, although in my experience, certainly not a 4 star.

Room Tip: I wouldn't want to be in a room worse than ours, so definitely upgrade if given the chance! The...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Marts10
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Marts10,

Thank you for the feedback you have provided following your stay with us.

I have taken on-board your comments and would like to confirm that the hotel has recently completed the first phase of a bedroom refurbishment project which is aimed at alleviating the issues mentioned regarding the areas you have highlighted.

I apologise for the closure of our restaurant as during lower periods of business we offer guests our condensed restaurant menu in our Tempus Bar, as well as the option of our room service menu.

The breakfast plates provided in our restaurant are as per the company breakfast specifications but are certainly not intended to dissuade guests from enjoying our breakfast buffet and I apologise if it was interpreted as such.

I am disappointed that your stay with us coincided with essential maintenance work requiring the power to be suspended for an uncertain period of time. I would like to apologise that this was not communicated to you at any stage throughout your stay and ultimately had an impact on your experience with us.

I do hope that you would consider returning to the hotel as offered on check out in hopes of ensuring you enjoy your stay with us on this occasion.

Darren McGhee

Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have stayed here recently for business and have also hired meeting rooms on 2 occasions. The meeting rooms have been good, with the rooms always serviced at lunch time and tea coffee is always there waiting. The bedroom are okay but generally they are quite tatty. The food from the restaurant is probably the worst I have had - poor quality and all over-cooked and the combinations from the lunch time buffet are bizarre. Reception are quite miserable but they get the job done. It's a convenient location but I'm unsure if we will book again as a company as there is a lots of choice about nearby.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sally J

Dear Sally J,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed at the comments you have provided as we would always love to welcome all our guests back following their stay with us. I would like to thank you for using our facilities for your conference needs and do feel that the issues you have raised can certainly be addressed and improved upon.

I have taken on-board your comments and would like to confirm that the hotel has recently completed the first phase of a bedroom refurbishment project which is aimed at alleviating the issues you have mentioned.

I will discuss your comments with the Executive Head chef and do hope that you will consider returning, where we will hopefully exceed your expectations.

Thank you once again for your comments as they aid in meeting the needs of our valued guests.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights me and my husband, he bid on a voucher at a charity auction and won it. Check in was easy staff nice, did have to ask times of breakfast its early 7 to 9 only if like us you like a lie in as this was a holiday. Hotel room was very big clean and was a big bathroom with shower and bath double sink. Pool was small but heated and good had a half hour swim, sauna too. Water in bathroom takes ages to come through even then it was not hot. We got bathrobes/slippers. Tea/Coffee and biscuits nice touch. Would have given 5 out of 5 but had to keep asking things like what time check out is. Room got very warm bed was comfy, extra pillows and plenty of towels. Had a front room next to main road double glazing is good on 2nd floor, do have a lift. Lots of choice but we had a cooked breakfast the 1st morning, overslept the 2nd one so just had coffee in the room. We would return. Can walk to shops in Solihull and cinema!

Room Tip: Ask for a back room if light sleeper can here some traffic noise at front.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear clangers1958,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay at the St Johns Hotel, Solihull.

I am glad that we were able to make your experience a memorable one and you were able to enjoy our Spa and leisure club.

I will ensure our maintenance department is made aware of the issues you have highlighted regarding the water flow in your room. Our front desk will also be briefed on the essential information necessary to provide guests on check-in.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the St Johns Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

This was our first visit to the St John's, a booking secured directly with the hotel at a very good price a couple of days beforehand. Worth noting that organisations such as Booking.com will give you the same base price, but there are some elements (e.g. breakfast) available more cheaply directly with the hotel. The hotel also offers an attractive e-upgrade option which means you can secure an upgrade to a better room if one is available when you check in - and it's cheaper than booking the better room from the outset. So the trick is to book the basic room only, and then take the options further down the line in the online booking process.

As a result we paid an extra £20 for two breakfasts (normally £29) and a mere £13 for an upgrade from a standard to a large double room - well worth it on both counts.

The hotel really ought to be Solihull's finest, with a good location and car park free to guests, but once you are inside you can see that it has not really made its mind up what it wants to be - a classy four star traditional hotel (for which it has the building) or a trendy, modern-look establishment. The result is that it falls uncomfortably between the two. The best examples of this are the reception area, which looks bizarre with its collection of furniture and loud inappropriate music, and the breakfast room, where grandeur has been tarted up to make something dangerously close to tacky. So much more could have been done to make the St John's either classic or modern - they need a style guru!

So we could not complain at the price, but there were several niggles which we did not expect in a hotel of this quality. Only one person only at reception, so there was a wait at all times - nearly 15 minutes for check-in. The checking in process was laborious and complex, and the internet access even more so - why not just have a simple code to access the wi-fi?

The room was large and comfortable with a seating area, flat-screen TV, tea/coffee etc and a spacious bathroom, but there were niggles here too - incomplete grouting on the floor, a tatty sink front and a bit round the side of the bath which fitters had just forgotten to finish off - just not good enough.

Rather surprisingly the walls were thinner than I expected, so given the bed position we had a good insight into goings-on next door, especially when electrical items were plugged in and switched on or off. I expected better sound insulation.

One specific gripe was that Saturday breakfast had been truncated to end at 0900, far too early for a relaxing weekend, without any good reason, although it is usually a more sensible 1100.

Staff were friendly throughout. Breakfast was plentiful with a good choice of food - hot dishes were replaced quickly as they became empty.

I suppose that the overall experience was fine, but when going to a 4* hotel I really do expect not to have a list problems such as those outlined above.

Room Tip: Use the St. John's own online booking facility, choose a basic room only, then add on extras aft...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Well a very tired hotel. Reception and the bar promise so much, but don't be allured into false sense of security the rooms are exceptionally tired. Heating that blasts out at 24 oc despite being turned off numerous times, the most stained carpet I have ever come across in my travels, and broken fittings in the bathroom. On a positive the bed was comfortable and the linen was clean. However, the towels were almost grey ?! I felt for the poor lad on reception, as he was on his own and just couldn't cope with the 5.45 PM rush hour, hence the check-in was so slow. Not much better the following morning, reception tried to charge my colleague for two breakfasts when it was quite clear that she was on her own. Nice trick and well spotted on our part. Will I be back, only if the Ramada is full :(

Room Tip: Stay at the Ramada
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bridget E
Reviewed 21 April 2014

stayed here night before our holiday. booked 2 family rooms and had airport parking included in the package.It was cosy, and clean and parking was not a stress at all.- also not charged.The Pool and sauna, were a hit with my children. Also close to lots of shops and takeaways. A McDonalds , a short drive down the road. The only negative point I can make, was that the rooms are very hot. I would def stay here again if we travel around brum.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Daffyduck967,

Thank you for your recent stay at The St Johns hotel, Solihull.

I am glad that we were able to provide a good start to your holiday and that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry you found your room too hot as this is sometimes the case during the transition from the winter to the summer months when our heating systems are still active.

I do hope that you are able to visit the St Johns Hotel, Solihull in the near future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed overnight before flying from Birmingham to Paris. Rooms clean and good food in restaurant. Would definitely stay again. Hotel was 15 mins from air parks. Well worth it for a hassle free start to our holiday.
Also, the use of the leisure facilities was great, had a swim, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Pete P,

Thank you for your recent stay at The St Johns hotel, Solihull.