“Adequate”

The St. John's Hotel
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Solihull
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed one night here over the bank holiday. On arrival there was no one on reception. After about 10min and some shouting hello I found a barman and asked him. He did come out to help but I felt like I had to convince him there really wasn't anyone around. He eventually found someone and when she came out there was no apology so I didn't really feel welcomed at all. In fact she looked like she was not at all happy in her job.
The hotel itself is quite sprawling and looks a little jaded in places, like it needs a lick of paint. The room itself was ok, clean and the bed was comfortable. Nothing in the way of toiletries provided ie only shower gel. Also only one bath towel and no hand towels at all. The view was of some air conditioning pipes which was nice! Overall I've stayed in better for the price and I would next time go over to the holiday inn as the staff there are much nicer. Its certainly only a 3star.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear veggie2urist,

Thank you for your recent visit and for taking the time to provide constructive feedback we can positively direct towards the improvement of our business.

I apologise for your unacceptable welcome to our hotel as the standard in place is that a member of the reception team is present to welcome guests at all times. Our customer service standards will certainly be revised in order to ensure this does not occur in future and guests are able to receive the warm welcome we aspire to deliver.

I am glad you found the room comfortable for your stay and am disappointed you felt the toiletries were inadequate. I am aware a member of our housekeeping or reception staff would certainly provide extra items if required by any of our guests.

In our wardrobes there is also an extra supply of bath towels as well as hand towels if desired, perhaps extra signage or information could be provided in order to avoid confusion for future guests.

I understand your frustration following your stay and the valid points you have mentioned can and will certainly be addressed. I do hope that you are able to return in the near future in order to experience a true sense of the service we aim to provide our guests.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

For the second year running we attended a culinary dinner at St Johns, 150 attended & sat down to an excellent dinner & service .Last year in my review I mentioned our lovely waitress Sophia who had started just 5 days before, she was not serving our table this year but spotted us & came over, Sophia still has a ready smile & I think it is a credit to the hotel that a year on she is still there & still loves working at St Johns. As I mentioned last year the hotel has an excellent pool & spa .Also the bar has the superb Peroni lager on draught and for those with a fuzzy head in the morning the bedrooms have the most amazing power showers. well done again to Darren Mc Ghee and his team at St Johns.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear hammer49shropshire,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such positive feedback following your stay at The St Johns Hotel, Solihull.

It was a pleasure to host such a wonderful culinary event for the second year running and I am delighted you were able to enjoy the night.

I will pass on your comments to Sophia and all the team and I do hope to welcome you back to The St Johns in the very near future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Lovely location hotel looks great from the outside! Rooms were adequate more 3 star than four star. Food at best was extremely poor to say the least Served what can only be described as pal for Dinner. When asked about the food we were asked well what are you prepared to pay? mmm interesting comment Staff tried hard

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear ChrisJHickman,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for the feedback you have provided.

I am disappointed to learn that our offering did not meet your initial expectations of our hotel. There is certainly much effort devoted to achieving our Four Star Grading and the comments you have provided have highlighted areas of improvement I will certainly be sure to address.

I do hope that you are able to return for a more pleasurable experience in the near future when we will be able to surpass your expectations.

Darren McGhee,

Reviewed 2 May 2014

As other reviewers have said, don't be fooled: this is not a four star venue. I stayed here once and have since found much better alternatives in Solihull for my business trips.

I was upgraded to a junior suite which is large though most of the space is pretty useless (a sitting room?) The rooms were clean, the bathroom was excellent but the bed was hard as a rock. The bar is pretty lame, not all that much going on inside.

The biggest saving grace of this hotel is the location. A super quick walk into town gives plenty of places to eat, drink and shop.

Room Tip: Get a junior suite as it seems the basic rooms look very small. Or, just stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear LRPE90 ,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Solihull.

I am disappointed that you feel so strongly against the Four Star Grading awarded to the hotel and that we were unable to meet your expectations throughout your stay.

I apologise for the discomfort you experienced on the mattress in your room which is an aspect we can certainly look at improving. The spacious nature of our Upgraded Bedrooms allows for the option of in-room dining as well as a more homely feel for guests travelling for extended periods of time.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback as it aids in our constant dedication to our guests.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Well, maybe a few years ago...We arrived on a Monday after spending the day at Drayton Manor. We were upgraded to a suite, which was very spacious, but as others have already said, the hotel is getting pretty worn down, and could do with a freshen up. Pool area was ok, could also do with a clean up. The hotel restaurant was closed, apparently due to lack of business. Luckily, the location is good, so were able to pop into town for something good to eat. The breakfast was ok. The saucers they provide to eat off could do with an upgrade. Not sure if they are trying to make people feel uncomfortable about getting up for more to eat, so offer small plates; it didn't work in my case. After breakfast, I went to go for a swim with my son. I was told that the hotels electric would be shut down from 10am, and they were not sure when this would be fixed and up and running. Obviously, this was a bit of a shock, and not ideal business practice for a hotel. However, I must add, that the staff were helpful and understanding, even though that was the first we had heard of it. On the whole, an ok hotel, although in my experience, certainly not a 4 star.

Room Tip: I wouldn't want to be in a room worse than ours, so definitely upgrade if given the chance! The...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Marts10

Dear Marts10,

Thank you for the feedback you have provided following your stay with us.

I have taken on-board your comments and would like to confirm that the hotel has recently completed the first phase of a bedroom refurbishment project which is aimed at alleviating the issues mentioned regarding the areas you have highlighted.

I apologise for the closure of our restaurant as during lower periods of business we offer guests our condensed restaurant menu in our Tempus Bar, as well as the option of our room service menu.

The breakfast plates provided in our restaurant are as per the company breakfast specifications but are certainly not intended to dissuade guests from enjoying our breakfast buffet and I apologise if it was interpreted as such.

I am disappointed that your stay with us coincided with essential maintenance work requiring the power to be suspended for an uncertain period of time. I would like to apologise that this was not communicated to you at any stage throughout your stay and ultimately had an impact on your experience with us.

I do hope that you would consider returning to the hotel as offered on check out in hopes of ensuring you enjoy your stay with us on this occasion.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have stayed here recently for business and have also hired meeting rooms on 2 occasions. The meeting rooms have been good, with the rooms always serviced at lunch time and tea coffee is always there waiting. The bedroom are okay but generally they are quite tatty. The food from the restaurant is probably the worst I have had - poor quality and all over-cooked and the combinations from the lunch time buffet are bizarre. Reception are quite miserable but they get the job done. It's a convenient location but I'm unsure if we will book again as a company as there is a lots of choice about nearby.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sally J

Dear Sally J,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed at the comments you have provided as we would always love to welcome all our guests back following their stay with us. I would like to thank you for using our facilities for your conference needs and do feel that the issues you have raised can certainly be addressed and improved upon.

I have taken on-board your comments and would like to confirm that the hotel has recently completed the first phase of a bedroom refurbishment project which is aimed at alleviating the issues you have mentioned.

I will discuss your comments with the Executive Head chef and do hope that you will consider returning, where we will hopefully exceed your expectations.

Thank you once again for your comments as they aid in meeting the needs of our valued guests.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights me and my husband, he bid on a voucher at a charity auction and won it. Check in was easy staff nice, did have to ask times of breakfast its early 7 to 9 only if like us you like a lie in as this was a holiday. Hotel room was very big clean and was a big bathroom with shower and bath double sink. Pool was small but heated and good had a half hour swim, sauna too. Water in bathroom takes ages to come through even then it was not hot. We got bathrobes/slippers. Tea/Coffee and biscuits nice touch. Would have given 5 out of 5 but had to keep asking things like what time check out is. Room got very warm bed was comfy, extra pillows and plenty of towels. Had a front room next to main road double glazing is good on 2nd floor, do have a lift. Lots of choice but we had a cooked breakfast the 1st morning, overslept the 2nd one so just had coffee in the room. We would return. Can walk to shops in Solihull and cinema!

Room Tip: Ask for a back room if light sleeper can here some traffic noise at front.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear clangers1958,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay at the St Johns Hotel, Solihull.

I am glad that we were able to make your experience a memorable one and you were able to enjoy our Spa and leisure club.

I will ensure our maintenance department is made aware of the issues you have highlighted regarding the water flow in your room. Our front desk will also be briefed on the essential information necessary to provide guests on check-in.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the St Johns Hotel in the near future.