“Not a great place to stay”

The St. John's Hotel
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Solihull
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently for work, and was not impressed, the girls on reception need to be trained to at least be a tad welcoming, my room was tired and needed a make over, I stayed here because the conference I attended was held at this hotel, so it was for convenience only.

However, the staff that were in the restaurant when I had breakfast were pleasant, efficient and happy, sadly the food was only average.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Stephanie H

Thank you for your feedback after your resent visit to the hotel. I do apologies for the welcome that you received and that the food was not up to standard. I can assure you that this will be communicated back to my team.

I am pleased to hear your feedback towards the Restaurant team; this will be communicated back to them.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review as this plays a crucial part in moving our business forward. Please except my apologies for the short fall in service.

Darren

Write a ReviewReviews (1,154)

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Went on a bus tour with my husband and my parents and stayed in st John's for 3 nights. The staff were all lovely and our room, though small, was very nice and clean. The staff were lovely, the only bad thing thing I can say about the hotel was the food. it really wasn't good and everyone on the bus tour agreed with this.
agreed with us that the meat served to us was undercooked. So lovely hotel and staff but def wouldn't recommend dinner

undercwouldn't recommenwere

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Claire D

I am disappointed to hear your comments about the food in the Restaurant, I can assure you that your comments have been passed on to our Executive Head Chef who I work closely with to ensure the highest of standards.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and thank you for your feedback.

I am delighted to hear some of the positive feedback which I will ensure is passed on to the team.

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed one night whilst in Solihull for work. The location is good, the room was clean and comfortable and there were some nice touches with the decor here and there around the hotel. The breakfast was good but pretty standard. The most memorable thing was the shower - great pressure and a huge shower head, I was very happy with it. I would stay again if back in Solihull for work.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Bigdreamer,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay here in the St John’s Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and have spent time to write a review.

Thank you for your positive feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very shortly.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed here whilst visiting an exhibition at the NEC arena, we had a fantastic stay and would definitely recommend!
The hotel is close to a shopping centre and lots of nice restaurants. It is set in a lovely area of Birmingham. The facilities were fantastic and the repetition and bar area are just beautiful. The room was lovely too! Breakfast was buffet style and there was a good selection.
Our only complaint was that music (presumably) from the wedding which was taking place in the hotel was very loud and playing late into the night/early morning.
Overall i rate this hotel highly and will definitely return when visiting Birmingham in future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Sparkle184,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The St Johns Hotel whilst attending the exhibition at the NEC.

I am delighted you were able to enjoy your stay with us and that you would recommend our hotel to future guests.

I do hope to welcome you back to The St Johns Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Darren McGhee,

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here on business with 4 other colleague's and was relieved to see the four stars prominently displayed at the reception area as we processed through check-in. This however is where our enjoyment ended. The young man spoke at light speed and couldn't be bothered to inform me of the where our breakfast would be served or what time it was available and considering the £15 cost (each) I was a little miffed. Room was probably nice in 2004 however they are very poor in 2014 with broken fittings and noisy aircon but atleast the sheets were clean. Any premier inn would out shine this hotel so give-it-a-miss and its pricey cost. JB

Room Tip: Bypass to another hotel

Dear John B

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the comments you have provided.
I am disappointed that the hotel did not meet your expectations and can confirm that a refurbishment programme is currently taking place on our bedrooms.

I will ensure the Reception manager is informed of your feedback. I would like to apologies to you and assure you that guest satisfaction is our main priority.

Darren

I do hope you would consider returning after the refurbishments have been completed. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Disinterested staff and very poor service. Recommend that you avoid to save inevitable frustration and disappointment. Bar service and food a major let down and dreadful value for money. I certainly will not be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
1  Thank Paul M M

Dear Paul M M

I am sorry to hear you were not satisfied in your recent stay at St Johns. I am very disappointed that the matter was not dealt with at the time, and I apologies for the short fall in service. I do assure you that this is not the usual standard of service we give our customers, and a full investigation will be conducted.

I do apologies again and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here after a business meeting for one night. My room was on the 3rd floor or 4th whichever you consider it to be which is in the process of being refurbished. The room was spacious and clean. I did eventually find the kettle etc. and for the money I have to say that what you get isn't the best I've had in similar hotels. The pillow and bed was very comfortable and what sleep I did get was good to be fair!

As with other hotels (but of a lower rating) I found it irritating that you get a lovely bath towel but no hand towel! The shower was, however, excellent.

We ate in the restaurant and there were a couple of items off the menu which I personally don't find that acceptable particularly as it isn't that extensive. The food was, however good.

Breakfast was busy. We went down at 8 to find the place full of diners. No bowls for the cereal and certainly not the right sized plates for the cooked. Whilst on the "cooked" I have to say I have had better in most other places - one very recently in only a 2 star hotel knocked spots of this one. The tea!.............Goodness it was awful....barely water! That said it was changed.

Now all this negativity I must say that the lovely little "old" lady who was dashing about with the toast was a star! The staff are to be commended I have to say. As with most hotels I have stayed in in the Midlands and the north the staff are friendly and do have the time to spend with you so a big well done there.

Overall I enjoyed my stay but have to say that I was glad I wasn't paying!

Dear Familyivory,

Thank you for the comments you have shared following your stay with us.

I am glad you were able to have a restful night in one our newly refurbished rooms but am disappointed that you were not able to find the second set of towels in the wardrobe. I will discuss the matter of improved signage in each room so that guests are informed of this.

I have discussed the comments you have provided regarding the meals in our restaurant with the Executive Head Chef. I am disappointed that you were not able to enjoy various items on the menu which were not available on the night. I will ensure that in future the kitchen is fully equipped to provide the meals offered on our menu.

I have taken on board your comments regarding our breakfast offering as the joint efforts of the Kitchen and Restaurant teams can certainly improve our breakfast experience particularly on busier mornings.

Thank you for your comments on the staff which are always much appreciated in our aspiration to provide good service to all our guests.

I do hope you are able to return to the St Johns in the near future.

Kind regards,