“No sign of the Gremlins....”

The St. John's Hotel
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Solihull
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

There have been mixed reviews of this hotel but my 2 night stay was perfectly pleasant and without difficulty. Check in/out was courteous; the room comfortable, albeit dated in decor; bar and restaurant staff were upbeat and friendly and breakfast satisfactory. I'd cheerfully use the St. John's hotel again.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Manannin
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Manannin ,

Thanks indeed for your recent stay at The St Johns Hotel, Solihull and for taking the time to share your experience.

We were conscious of the need to modernise our bedrooms on embarking on our refurbishment project which has seen several rooms completed to date and has received positive feedback.

I will share your comments with the team who, I’m sure like myself, hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Darren McGhee,

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Checked in on Sunday afternoon and it took so long I nearly collapsed under the weight of my bags and hangers but we got there in the end. The room is best described as tired and tatty. The bed base and mattress were different sizes giving a lip at the edge, the furniture didn't match and the windows had so much silicon to hold them in there was little point in fixings. The bathroom was equally tired with no soap dish or indentation making the unit messy and the bath was Nin need of replacing. Needed a repaint to.
After the party our room smelled very smokey as everyone stood just below it to smoke but that's life when you leave a window open.

Only one member of staff covering restaurant and bar on Sunday afternoon but she was attentive and we got served quickly but there wasn't anyone in the restaurant.

Breakfast was ok and check out painless especially as the threatened parking charge never appeared.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Delijoe,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us.

I apologise for the lengthy wait on check-in as, during peak times the reception staff do aim to attend to every guest in a timely fashion whilst answering any queries presented.

I apologise for the disappointment in the room you were allocated as we have been working on various phases of a bedroom refurbishment project and, I presume that perhaps the room you had been allocated may not have been attended to prior to your arrival.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back in the near future to experience one of our newly updated rooms and that your stay will be an enjoyable one.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We checked in 7pm on Saturday evening. The receptionist didn't even manage a smile when checking us in, gave us a twin room when we booked a double which we then changed.
The rooms are adequate, but paper hanging from ceiling shows signs that it could do with a little TLC.
Went to the bar for a drink before we went out and had to wait 10 minutes before getting someone out of the restaurant to serve us. Drinks very pricey!

Breakfast was excellent, great choice and good food and the breakfast staff were really very friendly

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay here at the St John’s Hotel.
I apologies that some areas of your stay did not meet with your expectation.
I do take all comments on board and communicate these out to the relevant manager in the team.
I do hope you choose to return in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

At this hotel for a three day conference and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel was extremely well managed to my mind. Very polite staff who went out of their way to make you feel welcome and always with a smile.. The food was first class, room clean and well stocked, plenty of parking and the added bonus of a spa and pool. I would definitely use this hotel again.

Dear Lisa F

Thank you for a lovely review following your recent stay at the st John’s. I am delighted you had such a wonderful time and the conference was a success.

I do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Contrary to negative reviews we spent 2 nights here for a conference and found the hotel greatly exceeded our expectations. The rooms were great, food sublime and hotel staff couldn't do enough for us - without fail they were exceptionally helpful, polite and friendly. A great choice for a conference venue!

1  Thank Katharine D

Dear Katherine D

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us; I will ensure the team read your kind comments.

I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Hotel.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have just spent three days at the conference centre and could not praise the efficiency of the staff enough.The rooms were spacious and very clean with lovely tolietries and water left every day.The facilities for a large or small conference were fantastic.Meals were excellent and as there were 200 of us,all food was fresh and piping hot.An Indian themed evening was on last nightwith the most energetic young .It was a fantastic. Bollywood dancers,The hotel did us proud.I for one would be more than happy to use this venue again,could not praise the staff enough.

1  Thank Irene B

Dear Irene B

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. I’m glad to hear you found the Bollywood dancers enjoyable and that your conference was a success.

Your kind comments will be passed on to all involved. I do hope to welcome you back very soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Freezing and seedy rooms that look somewhat run down. With flies roving around to add to your joy! Overpriced. No answer to room service. I let reception ring for about 5-10 minutes before someone answered. When someone finally came up, although polite, could not help with the noise level and gave me an extra duvet to cope with how cold the room was due to the air conditioning not working correctly. Incredibly noisy past midnight due to private party! The room was shaking and even ear plugs didn't help.
On checkout next AM , I was advised that a refund request would be raised to the manager. Nothing so far....
I will never stay here again and will ask none of my acquaintances to either.

Room Tip: Do not book here if a wedding or social event is on. They have no care of the 11 PM Cutoff