“certainly not the" luxury " advertised”

The St. John's Hotel
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Solihull
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“certainly not the" luxury " advertised”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Luckily for us we only stayed in this hotel for one night. We were travelling the next day to Rhodes and required a stopover for the airport. The pictures of the hotel online are very deceptive, depicting what looks like a country hotel. This is just the foyer, the main hotel resembles student accommodation and in fact is just like student accommodation (except student accommodation is cleaner) On arrival I stood for at least a minute staring at 3 colleagues without as much as eye contact from them. We eventually got greeted by a young boy wearing an oversized crumpled jacket. His greeting was and I quote "are you ok there?" Surely that greeting went out with the ark? After repeating my name several times we were eventually checked in and tole where our rooms were. My daughters had a twin room on the ground floor which was very basic and very dated. My husband and I had a room at the end of a corridor, I believe 187 which can only be described as abysmal. It stank of damp, the flooring in the bathroom was cracked and the grouting non existent. There had clearly been some sort of flood in the room. I proceeded to reception to complain to again be greeted in a very unfriendly manner by a receptionist that was trying to train the boy in the oversized suit. I was left standing at the desk for around 5 minutes with no explanation as to what could be done. I eventually was given the key to another room. This room like our daughters was basic and in serious need of renovation. The bathroom was in fact dirty, I had to clean it before I used it. The beds had thin sheets on very uncomfortable old mattresses with no protectors. Very poor. We had to leave at 6am in the morning for our transfer to the airport so went to bed by 10pm. We should not have bothered though until at least 1am as the hotel was very noisy. It was not other residents though but staff! The conference room next door to us was rearranged, staff talking in the corridor and bottle bins being emptied in the car park. I stay in lots of hotels for both business and pleasure and I can honestly say this was the worst one I have ever stayed in for both service and quality. Re-train your team and update you rooms

Room Tip: Ground floor room not advised as they smell badly of damp and are too close to the conference facili...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sarah g
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Sarah G,

Thank you for your comments following your stay.

I am disappointed you felt our website to be in any way misleading as we certainly aren’t a country hotel and promote our convenient location in the centre of Solihull. It is also a shame that we may be compared to student accommodation as, by virtue of our Four star AA grading this is hopefully not the case.

I would like to apologise for the informal welcome you received when checking in as it is certainly unacceptable. Our staff are trained to welcome guests with formal salutations which is an aspect I will be looking at with the relevant Managers.

I am concerned at your comments regarding the rooms you have been allocated as they do not sound to be of a standard which we would like our guests to experience whilst staying with us. We aim to focus our bedroom refurbishment project during the last quarter of the year on this particular floor, thus eliminating several of the issues you have mentioned.

I have passed your comments onto the housekeeping department in regards to the cleanliness of the rooms as we constantly aspire to create environments in which our guests feel comfortable throughout their stay. I will also be monitoring the cleanliness standards of the rooms in order to ensure they are being maintained.

I am sorry that your experience was not more enjoyable but do hope that you are able to return for a more pleasant stay in future.

Darren McGhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
North West Britain
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

There have been mixed reviews of this hotel but my 2 night stay was perfectly pleasant and without difficulty. Check in/out was courteous; the room comfortable, albeit dated in decor; bar and restaurant staff were upbeat and friendly and breakfast satisfactory. I'd cheerfully use the St. John's hotel again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Manannin
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Manannin ,

Thanks indeed for your recent stay at The St Johns Hotel, Solihull and for taking the time to share your experience.

We were conscious of the need to modernise our bedrooms on embarking on our refurbishment project which has seen several rooms completed to date and has received positive feedback.

I will share your comments with the team who, I’m sure like myself, hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Darren McGhee,
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Checked in on Sunday afternoon and it took so long I nearly collapsed under the weight of my bags and hangers but we got there in the end. The room is best described as tired and tatty. The bed base and mattress were different sizes giving a lip at the edge, the furniture didn't match and the windows had so much silicon to hold them in there was little point in fixings. The bathroom was equally tired with no soap dish or indentation making the unit messy and the bath was Nin need of replacing. Needed a repaint to.
After the party our room smelled very smokey as everyone stood just below it to smoke but that's life when you leave a window open.

Only one member of staff covering restaurant and bar on Sunday afternoon but she was attentive and we got served quickly but there wasn't anyone in the restaurant.

Breakfast was ok and check out painless especially as the threatened parking charge never appeared.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Delijoe,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us.

I apologise for the lengthy wait on check-in as, during peak times the reception staff do aim to attend to every guest in a timely fashion whilst answering any queries presented.

I apologise for the disappointment in the room you were allocated as we have been working on various phases of a bedroom refurbishment project and, I presume that perhaps the room you had been allocated may not have been attended to prior to your arrival.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back in the near future to experience one of our newly updated rooms and that your stay will be an enjoyable one.

Darren McGhee

Travellers are raving about these Solihull hotels

Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We checked in 7pm on Saturday evening. The receptionist didn't even manage a smile when checking us in, gave us a twin room when we booked a double which we then changed.
The rooms are adequate, but paper hanging from ceiling shows signs that it could do with a little TLC.
Went to the bar for a drink before we went out and had to wait 10 minutes before getting someone out of the restaurant to serve us. Drinks very pricey!

Breakfast was excellent, great choice and good food and the breakfast staff were really very friendly

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay here at the St John’s Hotel.
I apologies that some areas of your stay did not meet with your expectation.
I do take all comments on board and communicate these out to the relevant manager in the team.
I do hope you choose to return in the future.

Kind Regards,

Templecombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

At this hotel for a three day conference and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel was extremely well managed to my mind. Very polite staff who went out of their way to make you feel welcome and always with a smile.. The food was first class, room clean and well stocked, plenty of parking and the added bonus of a spa and pool. I would definitely use this hotel again.

Dear Lisa F

Thank you for a lovely review following your recent stay at the st John’s. I am delighted you had such a wonderful time and the conference was a success.

I do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Best wishes,

Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Contrary to negative reviews we spent 2 nights here for a conference and found the hotel greatly exceeded our expectations. The rooms were great, food sublime and hotel staff couldn't do enough for us - without fail they were exceptionally helpful, polite and friendly. A great choice for a conference venue!

1 Thank Katharine D
Dear Katherine D

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us; I will ensure the team read your kind comments.

I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Hotel.

Best Wishes,

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have just spent three days at the conference centre and could not praise the efficiency of the staff enough.The rooms were spacious and very clean with lovely tolietries and water left every day.The facilities for a large or small conference were fantastic.Meals were excellent and as there were 200 of us,all food was fresh and piping hot.An Indian themed evening was on last nightwith the most energetic young .It was a fantastic. Bollywood dancers,The hotel did us proud.I for one would be more than happy to use this venue again,could not praise the staff enough.

1 Thank Irene B
Dear Irene B

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. I’m glad to hear you found the Bollywood dancers enjoyable and that your conference was a success.

Your kind comments will be passed on to all involved. I do hope to welcome you back very soon.

Kind Regards,