“Follow the yellow brick road!”

The St. John's Hotel
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Solihull
Alhaurin de la Torre, Spain
“Follow the yellow brick road!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

and easy to find. So far so good. On arriving at reception I was told that the lifts to that portion of the hotel were out of order and that they would send my luggage up, which they did. Fortunately I had only a small carry on bag.

Not so fortunate a family arriving the following day that had cases and a lot of luggage between them. They had loaded their luggage onto a trolley, but seemed to have been unaware that to reach their room they had to negotiate three fire doors a flight of seven stairs down and five stairs up ( or the reverse depending on your direction). The trolley was useless. I saw them struggling with their luggage and then heard someone saying "Well, I shall never forget the trip to England, that's for sure! Way to get a great reputation!

The rooms themselves are OK. Tea, coffee and toiletries are there but not replenished. OK if you are there for a night but not so good for a longer stay. They only provide a bath mat and a bath sheet, no hand towel.

You can pick up a pool towel if you go down to the leisure centre, but don't count on any serious swimming as the pool is shallow and not really suitable for swimming lengths. This was a big disappointment as I had booked the hotel based on it having of a swimming pool.

I also booked on the basis of it having a restaurant and after one abysmal meal I gave that up too!

Room Tip: Make sure that there is a working lift which gives you access to your room if you have any problems...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Susan K,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The St Johns during your visit to Solihull and for the feedback you have provided.

Having read your comments I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused through the maintenance work in progress on our lift. We understand that it is certainly not ideal to have our guest’s use the stairs or the second lift in order to access their rooms but, it was imperative that the work on the replacement lift being installed was completed by the end of the month. All members of staff have been briefed and will certainly assist with luggage whenever necessary during this period.

The toiletries and Beverage making facilities in your room are to be replaced daily by our housekeeping team and I apologise if this was not the case. I am also disappointed you were not able to find the extra set of towels in the wardrobe which include an extra Bath sheet, hand towel and a Bath Mat.

I hope you were able to enjoy some aspect of our Leisure club facilities as although an Olympic sized pool is not advertised we do offer a regular sized pool, Jacuzzi, Steam room, Sauna, Treatment room and Nail Technician for our guests enjoyment.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback and hope that we are able to welcome you back in the near future.

Darren McGhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I booked an afternoon tea but when we arrived I was told they had no knowledge of us coming. When I assured the lady that I had called and booked she said was it a male you spoke to? When I confirmed it was she said well that explains it. The place was almost empty so I was told we would get served but may have to wait a while so I had a coke while we waited and my friend had tea. As it turned out the wait was not too long and the sandwiches and cakes were served and we were the only people in the gardens. The waitress never returned and I was not offered any tea and my friend was not given a top up for her tea. The rest of the afternoon tea was good. When we were ready to leave I went to pay but was kept waiting for ages. This to me was a real problem as on a previous visit I had also been kept waiting to pay for ages. The experience made me feel reluctant to make another return visit.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rosamund S
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Rosamund S ,

Thank you for your recent visit to our hotel.

I do apologise that there appears to have been a breakdown in communication regarding your booking for an afternoon tea. This particular package has been quite popular and based on your comments and in line with the increased demand will require specific staff training.

I am disappointed to hear of your reluctance to return but can assure you that your comments will be shared and actioned by the relevant Managers.

Lancashire, UK
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Some event organisers must really like this place … I can understand why as it is conveniently located for various parts of the country. I found myself back here again and hoped that the experience would be better than my last visit. Alas! that wasn't to be. My room this time around was quite big and spacious with a little sitting area. The standard of cleanliness was better than last visit in general until I made the mistake of opening the freestanding closet in the room. It seemed like a good idea to use it. I wasn't prepared for what I can only describe as stench that greeted my nose. Either it had not been opened since it had been placed there or something had actually died in it or the bedding, etc. stored in there was dirty. The smell was unbearable enough for me to not want to investigate. Closing the door did keep it at bay and, as I was only staying overnight, I decided not to mention it to the hotel, particularly as I wasn't convinced (based on my last visit) that another room would be much of an improvement. This one seemed clean enough otherwise. The furniture (same as last time) was dated and not in a rustic, homely way. At least it wasn't broken. Once again, the staff were genuinely pleasant and helpful. Food, once again, was rather disappointing. The bed was ok but creaked at every turn and the air conditioning too noisy to enable any comfortable sleep. Wifi was rather slow. I cant say if it was free (as it was included for our event in any case).

The hotel is well situated along the M6/M42 but that and the staff are perhaps its only redeeming features. Needs a serious update and someone should really take a look at the cleaning practices in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bob_The_Traveller,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

I am concerned at the comments you have made regarding the room you were allocated as we cannot locate the odour you encountered despite numerous checks with the housekeeping department since. I would like to assure you that we strive to uphold standards of cleanliness in keeping with our four star grading. We aim to ensure all guests feel comfortable in the rooms they are allocated and as such I will pass on your comments to the Executive Housekeeper to ensure standards are being maintained.

I am sorry you found the food disappointing and our wifi slow as the codes given to Event Organisers are used by all delegates during their time with us, thus resulting in peak times when the connectivity might be slightly slower.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Darren McGhee

Travellers are raving about these Solihull hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We booked last minute on Saturday evening, when we arrived there was a wedding going on so reception was a little busy, but expected.
We got to the room which was on the top floor so we didn't hear any noise from other guests or the wedding party.
The spa was lovely, and the hotel is in a great location, the only issue was that there were no staff in the hotel bar so we had to look for someone to be served.

Room Tip: Request a top floor if there is a function on
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Sara250388

Thank you for choosing to stay here at the St John’s hotel.
I am delighted to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Kind Regards

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Booked as a Groupon deal - £59 for double room, full breakfast and drinks tokens so really can't complain about that!
The room itself was quite roomy but needed some tlc, for example, the carpet was jaded and threadbare in some areas and there was grout missing between bathroom floor tiles which exposed sharp edges.
The hotel also has a function suite. The day we arrived there was an Asian wedding happening so parking availability was tight. Also noteworthy that in this case, you need to be on the left-hand side of the hotel itself as I overheard a resident stating that as her room was above the function suite, the noise level was not conducive to a good sleep.
There was a lot of choice for breakfast, however recommend staying away from the watery porridge and lifeless scrambled egg.
The service by restaurant (breakfast) staff was excellent, however I would now recommend hotel management to keep 'new starters' supported by experienced members of staff until 100% confident.
Overall, would stay again.

Room Tip: See main body of review.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Crackinstuff

Thank you for your recent stay at the St John’s Hotel and for writing a review.

It is unfortunate that the room you were allocated had some minor issues which I apologies for.

Thank you for the feedback concerning the Restaurant. I will discuss the points raised with the new Restaurant Manager.

Thank you once again.

Kind Regards

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Luckily for us we only stayed in this hotel for one night. We were travelling the next day to Rhodes and required a stopover for the airport. The pictures of the hotel online are very deceptive, depicting what looks like a country hotel. This is just the foyer, the main hotel resembles student accommodation and in fact is just like student accommodation (except student accommodation is cleaner) On arrival I stood for at least a minute staring at 3 colleagues without as much as eye contact from them. We eventually got greeted by a young boy wearing an oversized crumpled jacket. His greeting was and I quote "are you ok there?" Surely that greeting went out with the ark? After repeating my name several times we were eventually checked in and tole where our rooms were. My daughters had a twin room on the ground floor which was very basic and very dated. My husband and I had a room at the end of a corridor, I believe 187 which can only be described as abysmal. It stank of damp, the flooring in the bathroom was cracked and the grouting non existent. There had clearly been some sort of flood in the room. I proceeded to reception to complain to again be greeted in a very unfriendly manner by a receptionist that was trying to train the boy in the oversized suit. I was left standing at the desk for around 5 minutes with no explanation as to what could be done. I eventually was given the key to another room. This room like our daughters was basic and in serious need of renovation. The bathroom was in fact dirty, I had to clean it before I used it. The beds had thin sheets on very uncomfortable old mattresses with no protectors. Very poor. We had to leave at 6am in the morning for our transfer to the airport so went to bed by 10pm. We should not have bothered though until at least 1am as the hotel was very noisy. It was not other residents though but staff! The conference room next door to us was rearranged, staff talking in the corridor and bottle bins being emptied in the car park. I stay in lots of hotels for both business and pleasure and I can honestly say this was the worst one I have ever stayed in for both service and quality. Re-train your team and update you rooms

Room Tip: Ground floor room not advised as they smell badly of damp and are too close to the conference facili...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sarah g
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Sarah G,

Thank you for your comments following your stay.

I am disappointed you felt our website to be in any way misleading as we certainly aren’t a country hotel and promote our convenient location in the centre of Solihull. It is also a shame that we may be compared to student accommodation as, by virtue of our Four star AA grading this is hopefully not the case.

I would like to apologise for the informal welcome you received when checking in as it is certainly unacceptable. Our staff are trained to welcome guests with formal salutations which is an aspect I will be looking at with the relevant Managers.

I am concerned at your comments regarding the rooms you have been allocated as they do not sound to be of a standard which we would like our guests to experience whilst staying with us. We aim to focus our bedroom refurbishment project during the last quarter of the year on this particular floor, thus eliminating several of the issues you have mentioned.

I have passed your comments onto the housekeeping department in regards to the cleanliness of the rooms as we constantly aspire to create environments in which our guests feel comfortable throughout their stay. I will also be monitoring the cleanliness standards of the rooms in order to ensure they are being maintained.

I am sorry that your experience was not more enjoyable but do hope that you are able to return for a more pleasant stay in future.

North West Britain
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

There have been mixed reviews of this hotel but my 2 night stay was perfectly pleasant and without difficulty. Check in/out was courteous; the room comfortable, albeit dated in decor; bar and restaurant staff were upbeat and friendly and breakfast satisfactory. I'd cheerfully use the St. John's hotel again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Manannin
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Manannin ,

Thanks indeed for your recent stay at The St Johns Hotel, Solihull and for taking the time to share your experience.

We were conscious of the need to modernise our bedrooms on embarking on our refurbishment project which has seen several rooms completed to date and has received positive feedback.

I will share your comments with the team who, I’m sure like myself, hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Darren McGhee,