“Recent Visit”

The St. John's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Solihull
Reviewed 17 August 2014

What a fantastic Hotel, from the moment we entered the hotel we, my wife and I were made to feel very special people. Nothing was too much trouble for the whole staff and that included each and every member on duty throughout the day.

The food was exceptional, varied and cooked to perfection.

Drinks prices were rather on the steep side but perhaps to be expected given the quality of accommodation on offer?

Finally, I would highly recommend this hotel and would have no hesitation in re-visiting this establishment again.

Bernard & Sue Ward

Room Tip: Need to specify if you have mobility problems as rooms very often have stairs even after using a lif...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Dear Sue W

Thank you for choosing to stay at the St John’s Hotel Solihull. It gives me great pleasure to read your stay with us was such an enjoyable and comfortable one. I will communicate your comments back to the team.

To clarify we do have ground floor rooms which are designed for guests with disabilities with designated parking at the front of the hotel.

Once again thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you both back in the future.

Kind Regards,
Darren McGhee

Write a ReviewReviews (1,177)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Arrived after a long journey expecting to have room service and a chance to relax. Room was along an absolute labyrinth and very disappointing on eventual arrival. A cheap 1970s type chest of drawers had 1 drawer removed so as to be used as a tea tray ! The bathroom was faded and filthy. My colleague also had a poor room .we drowned our sorrows by ordering G&T plus loght refreshment. G&T arrived 10 mins later. No ice and tonic flat. Food didn't arrive for another 30 mins . As it was only panini this was a shockingly long wait ! G&T replaced but the panini was a real shock. 3pieces of tepid wilted lettuce/rocket plus almost invisibly thin piece of cheese and wafer of tomato. Even the staff member looked shocked. Manager summonses ed and eventually article ed. Apologetic but didn't handle this with any conviction. I asked for a refund of food and discount on rate for horrible room he didn't offer. Next day this had not been deducted despite assurance that it would be. Receptionist argued either about this I. Front of other hotel users. Very unprofessional .Received subsequent apologetic but weak apology again. Excuse that I had been booked into a part of hotel that was due for refurbishment (?!) and that due to 2 conferences they were fully booked. I was a speaker st one of these and certainly didn't have the kind of rest beforehand that I like yo have in order to do a good job ! Avoid this place

Room Tip: Ask when it was last refurbished or best of all go do we here else !
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tish N
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I hate to be one of those reviewers that find fault with little details, but my experience wasn't great. After a long journey, and a long day I was looking forward to a hot bath, getting some work done, catching a film and a good nights sleep ready for another long journey and long day the next day. But. Check in took a long time, but the staff friendly and it was very busy. A £50 deposit is taken off your card as a tab in case you want food and the difference is then refunded. The lift wasn't working but I wasn't offered help with my luggage - but hey, it was only one flight of stairs.... My first room was above a party (at 6 in the evening) with ridiculously loud music, it was making the kettle rattle in its stand and my teacup! Not getting an answer by phoning reception, I went down and asked to be moved to a quieter spot (unless the music was finishing in a short while as I needed to work) and I was. To a room above a wedding. With a live band. That ended at about 12.45. Why are business travelers put in rooms so near to functions? This (and tiredness) made me a bit picky about things I'm afraid. £10 breakfast is very excessive, tired rooms and tired old bathroom that floods when the shower is used as the screen is not functional and one towel (until I found the hand towel in the wardrobe). I shall use a Premier Inn next time for a bit more than 4 hours sleep.....

Room Tip: Call them and make sure you ask for a room well away from functions - unless you're part of them...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lully06
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel seems to rely entirely on their functions, it's certainly not worth what you pay.

- Very basic and outdated rooms
- Missing towels in the bathroom
- Breakfast was terrible:
- No plates
- Cold food (scrambled eggs) on buffet
- All cold food (fruit etc) finished by 10am, breakfast is "served" until 11am
- No bread or pastries
- No butter
- No fruit juice

We basically had to ask for every single thing... good thing the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Would not recommend staying here.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Used as a conference venue, the suite we had and banquet room we used was excellent. Bright, spacious and with link corridors, was ideal for our speaker sessions and exhibition. The support/events staff were hugely supportive and helpful and were on hand at all times. The lunch for the delegates and exhibitors was excellent and the morning breakfast buffet was extensive. The evening meal was poor, not a huge amount of choice, and as we were sitting up we at around 8:45pm- the staff were disinterested and service poor. The wine glasses had lipstick on them and the meals were staggered in delivery despite being ordered at the same time. Colleague had to change rooms as the hotel is undergoing some refurbishment and some of the bedrooms had a strong smell of paint. However, my room was clean, fresh and large and there is extensive parking. Just be warned if looking at hosting an event for around 300 delegates, this may cause an issue. Close proximity to the train station though, £5 cab fare, and in a beautiful setting just 20 mins commuter train to Birmingham city centre. I would stay here again if I had to work in Birmingham as more peaceful than the busy city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear simsy200,

Thank you for electing the St Johns Hotel as the designated venue for your conference.

I am glad you found the venue fit for purpose and in line with the needs of your delegates. I am similarly glad the team was able to facilitate in the smooth running of your conference and will relay your positive comments.

I am concerned and disappointed to hear of the variances in the food offering as well as service standards throughout your stay. The issues you have highlighted certainly do not reflect the service delivery and standards we aspire to provide our guests as a four star property. I will ensure that that the relevant managers are aware of your comments and that they are incorporated into the team training modules.

I apologise that your colleague had to move rooms due to the smell of paint. There are ongoing projects in order to refresh our bedrooms and, we will ensure to be more mindful of room allocations with this process in future.

I am certain that the issues you have mentioned will be rectified and I hope that you are able to return in the near future for an entirely pleasant stay.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed over this weekend as we were attending a wedding at the hotel. Upon arrival we stood at the reception desk for a few minutes before any of the three members of staff behind the desk even acknowledged us! When they did, there was no explanation of what facilities or services were on offer, we were not even told what time check out was or when breakfast was being served! When we go to our room after climbing seven flights of stairs (no one offered to bring our bags to the room), the room itself seemed nice enough, but the bed was lumpy, with only 2 pillows and even worse only one towel for two of us! When we ordered room service later that night, we ordered a turkey salad sandwich, only to get what I can only describe as a turkey and salt sandwich! The breakfast was cold and somewhat chaotic, I would look to stay somewhere else if I were ever in the area again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Gen1980,

Thank you for the feedback you have provided following your stay with us.

I am disappointed that we failed to meet your expectations regarding service standards. The hotel promotes a warm welcoming to all our guests and the scene you have depicted is certainly not acceptable. The check in procedure should include information regarding the check out time, opening times of the Bar, Restaurant and leisure Facilities as well as the relevant numbers to dial for assistance. I will make a point of discussing your comments with the Reception Manger so as to assess the re-training of theses procedures. I would also like to apologise for the lack of assistance with your luggage as this service has been offered during the replacement of the lift and I regret that on this occasion it was omitted.
I am sorry you were not able to find the second set of pillows, hand towels and bath towels placed in the wardrobe. We will look into creating appropriate signage so as to prevent this confusion in future.

The food service you have mentioned is certainly not the standard we aim to provide our guests and I am particularly disappointed that both your room service order, as well as breakfast were not up to our company service aspirations.

I have taken your comments on board and will discuss them with the relevant managers so as to prevent this from occurring in future. I do hope that this experience does not prevent you from returning in future for a more pleasant stay.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The hotel is being refurbished which means no lift and no restaurant on most occasions.
They do not notify guests until at reception or at restaurant doorway.

Reasonable priced rooms and good location. Staff are friendly but untrained.

7 flights of stairs up to 4th floor is a struggle. Avoid

Room Tip: avoid 3rd and 4th floors rooms 300 to 460 if lift is out it can be a trial getting luggage up and do...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank notoholxtras
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Notoholxtras,

I am glad you found our location convenient and our rooms’ value for money.

I am disappointed however that the replacement of our lift and the associated maintenance work, proved to be as much of an inconvenience during your stay. I understand that it is certainly not ideal to have our guest’s use the stairs or the second lift in order to access their rooms but it was imperative that the work on the replacement lift being installed was completed by the end of the month. During this period all members of staff have been briefed and will certainly assist guests with luggage wherever necessary.

I apologise that you were not able to have dinner in our restaurant as guests are still able to order food in the Tempus Bar. This menu is condensed yet varied providing several meal choices.

I am disappointed that you have your reservations about our establishment but hope that the final outcome of the Maintenance work in progress at the moment will justify this short phase of disruption.