“Had a Nice stay”

Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Solihull
cardiff,wales
“Had a Nice stay”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

After reading the reviews I thought, Oh No!! But, We had an overnight stay before flying out from Birmingham the next morning, nice clean room and a good nights sleep, what more could you want?? I would also say that the chap on reception was more polite and friendly than we experienced on our next 7 nights in our 5 star Madeira Holiday (his name escapes me, thick set gentleman, a really nice guy). So credit where it's due, The spice club restaurant down the road is also well worth a visit, excellent food and service.

Would definitely go back!!

Room Tip: Spice Club
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Mr Cardiff,

Thank you for your recent stay at The St Johns hotel and for the feedback you have provided.

I am delighted we were able to cater to all your needs and that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will relay your comments onto the member of our team whom you have mentioned.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The St Johns in the near future.

Kind regards,

Darren McGhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Me and My fiance recently stayed in this hotel with our family as we were attending a party at a local venue. We chose this hotel as being 4 stars we imagined it would be a bit more luxurious than your average hotel and the ability to visit the pool and sauna facilities was also an added bonus however we were all disappointed with our stay. Be aware if you have problems with walking much distance or climbing stairs this is not the best hotel for you. Me and my fiances room was on one side of the hotel in which the lift was being refurbished so instead had to carry our bags up two flights of stairs and down two long hallways to our room. My Fiance's 80 year old grandmother who struggles with walking very far was placed in a room down a long corridor with quite a few steps which she struggled with and was a long walk from the only working lift. In our room we were shocked to find a drawer missing out of our chest of drawers which was used as a tray for the mugs, tea and sugar, in a four star hotel surely a tea tray and no missing draws isn't much to ask. However the rooms were very clean.
After dropping off our bags we decided to get some food, we were disappointed to find that the restaurant was shut till September and was only open to a coach trip. Instead we ordered food from the bar. I ordered a Margarita Pizza which unfortunately was pretty tasteless with a burnt base, definitely not worth the £12 I paid for it. My Fiance and Brother-in-law ordered the Chicken Tikka Curry; they both found it to be extremely runny with very little chicken and a small amount of rice, both curries were meant to be served with naan bread which did not arrive. When we questioned the barman who had took our order he informed us there in fact was no naan bread left and instead offered them a bread roll which would take 10 minutes to warm, we agreed however both had nearly finished their meals by this time. 10 minutes later another member of staff brought over two naan breads which was extremely confusing as we were told there wasn't any. Later we were given two vouchers for money off our next drink order despite this there was very little of an apology for the misunderstanding who palmed the mistake off to the barman.
The next morning we went down for breakfast at around 9.30 (Breakfast is served till 11) the breakfast was a serve yourself buffet but unfortunately we had to ask for more beans, glasses and fried eggs to be put out as most had gone and not been replaced. We ordered some poached eggs which came out extremely shriveled and hard and the English breakfast when finally replaced, was cold. We also ordered a pot of tea which was handed to us by an extremely rude gentleman who instead of removing our finished plates to put down the pot of tea as we requested, shoved our plates to one side and put the teapot down saying "see! There's room there" before walking off. When a young girl arrived to take away our plates we complained about the state of the poached eggs in which the young girl replied "Yeah the foods a bit dodgy today".

Our overall experience was disappointing for a supposed 4 star hotel. We expected polite staff and good food worth their expensive price. Unfortunately we were met with rude, untrained staff, old fashioned rooms and basic food. Next time we will choose a Premier Inn.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Stephanie D

Travellers are raving about these Solihull hotels

Wales, UK
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed as part of a weekend coach trip booked with Brent Thomas. Our coach party had the tempus restaurant to ourselves for dinner which was a hot buffet served at 7:00 p.m. Despite being aware of the number of diners there appeared to have been little or no planning with regard to the amount of food required and even when new trays of food were brought out they were half empty. Breakfast was very good, food was hot and kept topped up. Rooms were fine, clean and plenty of towels and pillows etc. The staff were all lovely and very helpful. We'd stay again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear w31shbyrd

Thank you for reviewing your resent stay with us.

I would like to apologies for the short fall in food service that you received, and would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will address the matter with the team in question.

I am please to hear the rest of your stay was an enjoyable and comfortable one.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very shortly.

Kind Regards,

Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

What a fantastic Hotel, from the moment we entered the hotel we, my wife and I were made to feel very special people. Nothing was too much trouble for the whole staff and that included each and every member on duty throughout the day.

The food was exceptional, varied and cooked to perfection.

Drinks prices were rather on the steep side but perhaps to be expected given the quality of accommodation on offer?

Finally, I would highly recommend this hotel and would have no hesitation in re-visiting this establishment again.

Bernard & Sue Ward

Room Tip: Need to specify if you have mobility problems as rooms very often have stairs even after using a lif...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sue W

Thank you for choosing to stay at the St John’s Hotel Solihull. It gives me great pleasure to read your stay with us was such an enjoyable and comfortable one. I will communicate your comments back to the team.

To clarify we do have ground floor rooms which are designed for guests with disabilities with designated parking at the front of the hotel.

Once again thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you both back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Arrived after a long journey expecting to have room service and a chance to relax. Room was along an absolute labyrinth and very disappointing on eventual arrival. A cheap 1970s type chest of drawers had 1 drawer removed so as to be used as a tea tray ! The bathroom was faded and filthy. My colleague also had a poor room .we drowned our sorrows by ordering G&T plus loght refreshment. G&T arrived 10 mins later. No ice and tonic flat. Food didn't arrive for another 30 mins . As it was only panini this was a shockingly long wait ! G&T replaced but the panini was a real shock. 3pieces of tepid wilted lettuce/rocket plus almost invisibly thin piece of cheese and wafer of tomato. Even the staff member looked shocked. Manager summonses ed and eventually article ed. Apologetic but didn't handle this with any conviction. I asked for a refund of food and discount on rate for horrible room he didn't offer. Next day this had not been deducted despite assurance that it would be. Receptionist argued either about this I. Front of other hotel users. Very unprofessional .Received subsequent apologetic but weak apology again. Excuse that I had been booked into a part of hotel that was due for refurbishment (?!) and that due to 2 conferences they were fully booked. I was a speaker st one of these and certainly didn't have the kind of rest beforehand that I like yo have in order to do a good job ! Avoid this place

Room Tip: Ask when it was last refurbished or best of all go do we here else !
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tish N
United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I hate to be one of those reviewers that find fault with little details, but my experience wasn't great. After a long journey, and a long day I was looking forward to a hot bath, getting some work done, catching a film and a good nights sleep ready for another long journey and long day the next day. But. Check in took a long time, but the staff friendly and it was very busy. A £50 deposit is taken off your card as a tab in case you want food and the difference is then refunded. The lift wasn't working but I wasn't offered help with my luggage - but hey, it was only one flight of stairs.... My first room was above a party (at 6 in the evening) with ridiculously loud music, it was making the kettle rattle in its stand and my teacup! Not getting an answer by phoning reception, I went down and asked to be moved to a quieter spot (unless the music was finishing in a short while as I needed to work) and I was. To a room above a wedding. With a live band. That ended at about 12.45. Why are business travelers put in rooms so near to functions? This (and tiredness) made me a bit picky about things I'm afraid. £10 breakfast is very excessive, tired rooms and tired old bathroom that floods when the shower is used as the screen is not functional and one towel (until I found the hand towel in the wardrobe). I shall use a Premier Inn next time for a bit more than 4 hours sleep.....

Room Tip: Call them and make sure you ask for a room well away from functions - unless you're part of them...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lully06
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel seems to rely entirely on their functions, it's certainly not worth what you pay.

- Very basic and outdated rooms
- Missing towels in the bathroom
- Breakfast was terrible:
- No plates
- Cold food (scrambled eggs) on buffet
- All cold food (fruit etc) finished by 10am, breakfast is "served" until 11am
- No bread or pastries
- No butter
- No fruit juice

We basically had to ask for every single thing... good thing the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Would not recommend staying here.

Stayed August 2014