“I wouldn't bother if I were you”

The St. John's Hotel
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Solihull
Poole, United Kingdom
“I wouldn't bother if I were you”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Horribly dated decor in rooms, nice brown and green effect. Everything worked - well when they bought me a remote for the TV. Very Limited menu, main restaurant closed. Breakfast was horrible. Given half a cup of luke warm ultra weak tea, buffet of budget tasteless items, like a very cheap cafe quality but rather expensive. The only place I've ever been where I couldn't eat the bacon!! Bar area is OK though and location is very central to Solihull town centre with a decent choice of places to eat.

Room Tip: use another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear ChrisKarenAndJake,

Thank you for your comments.

I am extremely disappointed at your displeasure following your stay with us and for the comments you have made. Our rooms are on a rolling refurbishment programme and unfortunately it appears that the particular room you were allocated may not have been attended to as of yet.

The less busy periods mean that the menu on offer to our guests at this time is the condensed restaurant menu which is served in our bar. It is unfortunate that you found the menu limited and not to your liking. Your displeasure with the breakfast offering as well has been relayed to our Head chef who will ensure that the food standards we have in place are upheld preventing future incidences of dissatisfaction.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback as it greatly aids in the improvement of our service.

Darren McGhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Darrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We booked here as a "bed for a night" as we attended a family get together nearby.

We decided to check in the afternoon as we knew we would be back late and wanted to guarantee the room. There was a wedding in their conference centre and the car park was manic! Ordinarily this would be something to "put up with" but it has to be noted that the Traffic Management was awful... There was 1 member of staff stood outside but in all honestly he didn't make any difference!

When we came back in the evening everything had calmed down and we found the room to be clean and tidy.

All in all it did the job :-)

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bowenqs
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Bowenqs,

Thank you for your recent stay with us.

I apologise for the disorder when entering our car park as some of our events require the use of several of our car parking spaces which causes slight disruptions for a period of time.

I am however glad that you were finally able to get to your room and it was to your liking.

I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is the 3rd time I have been to this hotel in the last 2 years. I work for a large national firm who use a booking agency so I have little choice sometimes about where I stay.

The headline is "Tired". It is lacking many of the basics - e.g. a well stocked bar e.g. they have no Brandy! They do not serve bottles of still water. On the first night they ran out of Peroni and Budweiser on draught. The barmaid (Alice) was clearly over stretched and did her best. The restaurant offers the bar food menu not a full a la carte menu.

The signage throughout the hotel to the bedrooms is unclear. Key cards quite often don't work following programming on arrival.

Some of the common areas are shabby looking despite obvious attempts at a makeover in some areas.

Breakfast service is adequate but I've certainly had better food choice. Brown toast was presented without consulting me whether I would have preferred white. All breakfast diners were herded into a small section of the dining room and it felt overcrowded. One small cup of coffee was provided and although more coffee was provided when requested a pot would have been a better idea.

The buffet lunch lacked choice and variety.

Handle missing of bedroom furniture. Old fashioned wardrobe (with a thick layer of dust on the top). TV faulty. No bottled water provided in rooms. A nearly drunk glass of red wine that I brought from the bar was left in the room following cleaning during the day. Very creaky floorboards in the room.

The conference room I was in was poorly ventilated, decorated in drab colours and lacked lighting conducive to learning. The AV equipment was poor.

Bed was comfortable and bathroom OK however a cheap shower curtain spoiled it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is at the front of the hotel - the rear overlooks an unsightly flat roof that ho...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Rich M,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay.

I am disappointed at the comments you have provided as these points are certainly not the service we wish to provide our guests. The items lacking from the bar were a result of a delayed order which unfortunately has impacted on our guests and is certainly unacceptable. We have since employed measures to ensure this does not occur in future.

The hotel experiences less busy periods when the menu on offer to our guests at this time is the condensed restaurant menu which is served in our bar. I apologise that this was not to your liking nor extensive enough for your needs. I have shared the other points you have mentioned regarding your dining experience with our Food and Beverage Managers with a view to re-train staff where necessary as well as look at the food selection on offer to our guests.

I have taken note of the issues you have mentioned regarding your room and have placed them on the list to be attended to in line with the ongoing refurbishment project in the hotel. The observations you have made regarding the dust and room faults is certainly unacceptable and will be discussed with our Housekeeping management team. I am aware that room attendants will not remove any food or beverage items from guest bedrooms unless they are placed in the waste bins provided or appear to have been completely consumed. I would like to apologise for the discomfort any of these issues may have caused during your stay and I am disappointed we were not able to rectify these points whilst you were with us.

It is unfortunate that your meeting room did not have an adequate amount of light as we offer an array of conference rooms for clients to select from during their initial booking stage.

I hope that in future we are able to fully ascertain the needs of your stay both with regard to bedrooms and conference facilities alike.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Abingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

St John's hotel is quite a nice hotel, but does not have the finesse or effort of staff to make it good.

In late August they shut the restaurant and expect everyone to eat in the bar. The menu is small and expensive. They charge £9.50 for a Caesar salad, and this is of a very low quality. The Haddock Chowder is very watery and you have a hard job finding haddock. If you want a sandwich be prepared to pay £8.75 for a very basic and badly served snack!!

The breakfast is slightly better, but you have to order toast and the coffee supply is non existent. You get served with half a cup of coffee when you go in and then the staff go on other duties.

The rooms are good and the shower is the best I have ever seen in a hotel room. It was really powerful and cleansing. There are access problems too rooms with all the steps, so I wouldn't say the hotel was disabled friendly.

I booked a double room and there was one towel. I was told this was for environmental reasons which is hogwash as there are lights on everywhere etc etc.

Parking is good and they have a reasonable gym and a pool etc which is for splashing around and not lengths.

On the whole I like the hotel, but they need to sort out their menu and pricing for their meals. I will stay there again, but only because of the parking and room and shower which I rate 8/10. The staff, and bar meals I would give 3/10. They are very poor.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear John M

Thank you for reviewing your stay.

I would like to apologise that we have not been able to live up to your expectations in all areas of your stay. I am grateful for the feedback you have supplied which will be passed on to the relevant managers of each department.

The price range for our sandwiches is from £6.25 to £8.75 these prices are regularly reviewed to be competitive with local establishments and be in line with our four star rating.

We supply a hand and bath towel for each room and additional towels in the wardrobe; this is to encourage guests to reuse their towels.

The feedback you have provided greatly aids in the development of our business and the overall service to our guests. I do hope that you are able to return when we may hopefully restore your faith in our service.

Kind Regards,

cardiff,wales
Reviewed 19 August 2014

After reading the reviews I thought, Oh No!! But, We had an overnight stay before flying out from Birmingham the next morning, nice clean room and a good nights sleep, what more could you want?? I would also say that the chap on reception was more polite and friendly than we experienced on our next 7 nights in our 5 star Madeira Holiday (his name escapes me, thick set gentleman, a really nice guy). So credit where it's due, The spice club restaurant down the road is also well worth a visit, excellent food and service.

Would definitely go back!!

Room Tip: Spice Club
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mr Cardiff,

Thank you for your recent stay at The St Johns hotel and for the feedback you have provided.

I am delighted we were able to cater to all your needs and that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will relay your comments onto the member of our team whom you have mentioned.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The St Johns in the near future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Me and My fiance recently stayed in this hotel with our family as we were attending a party at a local venue. We chose this hotel as being 4 stars we imagined it would be a bit more luxurious than your average hotel and the ability to visit the pool and sauna facilities was also an added bonus however we were all disappointed with our stay. Be aware if you have problems with walking much distance or climbing stairs this is not the best hotel for you. Me and my fiances room was on one side of the hotel in which the lift was being refurbished so instead had to carry our bags up two flights of stairs and down two long hallways to our room. My Fiance's 80 year old grandmother who struggles with walking very far was placed in a room down a long corridor with quite a few steps which she struggled with and was a long walk from the only working lift. In our room we were shocked to find a drawer missing out of our chest of drawers which was used as a tray for the mugs, tea and sugar, in a four star hotel surely a tea tray and no missing draws isn't much to ask. However the rooms were very clean.
After dropping off our bags we decided to get some food, we were disappointed to find that the restaurant was shut till September and was only open to a coach trip. Instead we ordered food from the bar. I ordered a Margarita Pizza which unfortunately was pretty tasteless with a burnt base, definitely not worth the £12 I paid for it. My Fiance and Brother-in-law ordered the Chicken Tikka Curry; they both found it to be extremely runny with very little chicken and a small amount of rice, both curries were meant to be served with naan bread which did not arrive. When we questioned the barman who had took our order he informed us there in fact was no naan bread left and instead offered them a bread roll which would take 10 minutes to warm, we agreed however both had nearly finished their meals by this time. 10 minutes later another member of staff brought over two naan breads which was extremely confusing as we were told there wasn't any. Later we were given two vouchers for money off our next drink order despite this there was very little of an apology for the misunderstanding who palmed the mistake off to the barman.
The next morning we went down for breakfast at around 9.30 (Breakfast is served till 11) the breakfast was a serve yourself buffet but unfortunately we had to ask for more beans, glasses and fried eggs to be put out as most had gone and not been replaced. We ordered some poached eggs which came out extremely shriveled and hard and the English breakfast when finally replaced, was cold. We also ordered a pot of tea which was handed to us by an extremely rude gentleman who instead of removing our finished plates to put down the pot of tea as we requested, shoved our plates to one side and put the teapot down saying "see! There's room there" before walking off. When a young girl arrived to take away our plates we complained about the state of the poached eggs in which the young girl replied "Yeah the foods a bit dodgy today".

Our overall experience was disappointing for a supposed 4 star hotel. We expected polite staff and good food worth their expensive price. Unfortunately we were met with rude, untrained staff, old fashioned rooms and basic food. Next time we will choose a Premier Inn.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Stephanie D

Travellers are raving about these Solihull hotels

Wales, UK
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed as part of a weekend coach trip booked with Brent Thomas. Our coach party had the tempus restaurant to ourselves for dinner which was a hot buffet served at 7:00 p.m. Despite being aware of the number of diners there appeared to have been little or no planning with regard to the amount of food required and even when new trays of food were brought out they were half empty. Breakfast was very good, food was hot and kept topped up. Rooms were fine, clean and plenty of towels and pillows etc. The staff were all lovely and very helpful. We'd stay again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear w31shbyrd

Thank you for reviewing your resent stay with us.

I would like to apologies for the short fall in food service that you received, and would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will address the matter with the team in question.

I am please to hear the rest of your stay was an enjoyable and comfortable one.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very shortly.

Kind Regards,