“Home from Home”

Ranked #21 of 49 Solihull B&B and Inns
Havant, Hants UK
“Home from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed with John and his partner for 2 nights to attend a conference at the NEC. I arrived late due to traffic on the drive up from Portsmouth. They were both very understanding and they provided a meal for me as they were aware nowhere would be open at the time I arrived, a very delicious home cooked Chicken Stew.

The breakfast was wonderful, the room was spotlessly clean and when I thought I'd left my purse at home John lent me £20 to get to the NEC and buy some lunch Not many people would have done that!

Yes, there is a shared bathroom but not once did I have to wait to use it.

The location is superb for the 1 stop train journey to the NEC.

I have already recommended this great family run B & B to friends and colleagues and will definately be staying there again for the conference next year! But I know I'll have to book early as it is very popular.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lesleyalpha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

A great find very close to hampton manor where we had a wedding ! Two min drive and probably less than a 10 min walk! Very welcoming and the room was lovely, impeccably clean and very light and airy! Breakfast was delicious and left feeling suitable stuffed! Thank you , will stay again. Great base for Birmingham as less than two minutes from the train station!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I go to the NEC regularly to visit trade shows. I chose to stay at John's B&B for two nights, because of its close proximity to NEC, it is only 3 minutes away on the train from NEC and the train ticket only cost 1.9 pounds each way. During my stay at John's B&B, I was more than pleased with the hospitality that I received. John went out of the way to make sure I am well looked after and all my needs are met. Throughout my stay, I was made feel so welcome and so at home. Due to the late train arrival on Sunday night, John kindly offered to pick me up at NEC. His partner and he cooked me lovely breakfast every morning. They are ever so friendly and accommodating. The house is a hidden gem, it is tastefully decorated, and the rooms are very spacious, comfortable and clean indeed, and only 2 minutes walk to the Hampton-in-Arden train station. I would not hesitate to recommend this B&B to anyone who travels to NEC or Birmingham.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Great Harwood
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

A room was booked for a business trip for a colleague travelling with our Director to the Waste Recycling convention in Birmingham. We were asked a time of arrival on the day, which we gave as 5.30pm. On the day, my colleagues finished earlier and arrived at the B & B earlier than anticipated. The B & B was locked up and we tried phoning the B & B on and off for an hour and a half, with no luck. It was pouring down with rain and my colleague gave up in frustration and left at 6.10pm as nobody had arrived, despite us saying 5.30pm arrival. My colleague came home, missing the second day of the conference.
I phoned the B & B the next day and spoke to John who was most unhelpful and rude. I was told that I was lying about the arrival times and telephone calls and that I in fact had spoilt his night as he waited in all night for our arrival.
I cannot comment on the accommodation or services offered as we didn't get to sample them. All I will say is that John's customer service was appalling.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank suzanne74daly
Selby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed for one night whilst seeing a show at the NEC. Station was a 5 min walk if that and NEC is the next stop along. Very convenient! The room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast lovely and the hosts were very accomodating. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

John was very friendly and location is great for nec. Station 2mins walk from his house and nec is next stop. Journey takes 3 mins if that! However, you are essentially sleeping over on a couples home so use of the bathroom in the morning could be problematic with owners and guests vying for the shower at the same time! Breakfast was delicious and the cake. But i arrived late as I struggled to find it in the dark.... I was looking for b&b signs, but instead pulled up to a home in a tucked away residential street, so felt like I was intruding essentially. I didn't expect this but then again I'm not paying hotel prices so I shouldn't face expected a reception desk when I walked into the landing a living room. Overall basic rooms but free wifi is a necessity as there is next to NO signal in the house with certain mobile providers- but not the owners fault .

• Stayed May 2013
Aberdare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

Just stayed here for three nights. John is just fab, very friendly, very easy going, very funny. Had the full cooked breakfast with propper sauge and bacon, egg was always perfect.

I was visiting the NEC, which was about 10 mins drive max with no traffic. There is a train station stright to the NEC within a five min walk.

Overall clean, spacious room and lovely owner. Would definately stay again.

ps gave me home made lemon cake when I arrived !!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank heycorinne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solihull
The White Lion Inn
#34 of 49 in Solihull
Achill Guest House
Achill Guest House
#3 of 5 in Knowle

Been to Gayton B&B? Share your experiences!