“Disappointing Meal”

Ranked #125 of 320 Restaurants in Solihull
Price range: US$9 - US$20
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Established for the last 28 years, Rajnagar International Restaurant is known as one of the most renowned and prestigious Indian restaurants in the UK. Multi-award winning and recommended by the Michelin Restaurant Guide over the past 20 years. Winner of the British Curry Awards amongst many other eminent awards and recommendations, as well as being frequently visited by VIP's and celebrities. Rajnagar brings superb cuisine, fabulous ambience & traditional silver service. The restaurant specialises in creative, authentic and timeless classic Indian dishes as well as serving unique exotic fish and game dishes. Rajnagar also serves a range of finest wines, spirits and beers from around the world.
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Hadn't been to this restaurant for a while despite it being so close to where we live. I had a friend visiting so thought we'd give it a try.

Service :- The waiter who served us was unhelpful and didn't want to explain the meal deal, otherwise known as The Savers Banqueting Meal, to us.

The curries were very ordinary bordering on bland and portion sizes small with very few pieces of chicken in my dopiaza. My memory of the Rajnagar, from years gone by was of the food being high quality. It was almost as though they resented us asking for the meal deal.

The total cost of the meal for 3 people surprised me when it came to a lofty £66.00 for 3 meals. The deal is £9.99 so the remaining £36 must have been 4 beers, 2 naan breads and 4 poppadoms !!

So overall this was a disappointing meal from a once much loved restaurant. More recently, I have been eating at a new Indian Restaurant, the Spice Club in Solihull which despite The Rajnagars lush interior, was an overall better dining experience.

Summary is that I wouldn't recommend the Rajnagar at the moment. They were once fantastic but standards seem to have slipped rather. I will go again, once the reviews start to pick up.

1  Thank Duffgen62
There are newer reviews for Rajnagar International

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We are regular visitors to this restaurant and have to say some of these reviews make me wonder who is writing them...I have never had a bad meal here and the service is always good from the friendly staff well lead by Mr Khan....it is well worth a visit

4  Thank Keith T
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Not worth the money we paid !!! Go down the Coventry Rd more choice better food and better value for money...Rajrani buffet with drinks half of what we paid and better food and service...won't bother with this place again over hyped and over priced for bland food...

2  Thank Anthony M
Reviewed 22 December 2013

PLEASE be Aware LOYAL Customers to this Resturant i am indirectly holding you responsible for the above heading...My reason for doing will be made clear and evident.... Every time you walk in your met with the best act of smiling through your teeth Ever(Academy Acting Award) give me your money and go away is what it really Means..... As a consequence the managment REST so well on thier lorals its Detestable.. The front room staff are so pretentuos and unerving theyll even try and speak over you and get aggressive regardless...This is a resturant that only exists due to other resturants having not head hunted its Main Chef, those that are patrons of this Horrendous resturant please remember the owner seems to regard this as a hobby, so it seems there is no one really taking a customer care seriously ... to its detrement...Stay away for your own sanity because what my FAMILY and i went through need not happen to you...

2  Thank s r
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We were recommended to this restaurant as it was half way between our friends and us, and we were not disappointed. It was one of the best indian dinners we have had in a long time. i asked the Head Waiter for advice and he served me a spicy chicken pasanda with cheese and chickpeas as a side dish, plus aloo ghobi and vegetable rice. It was outstanding from start to finish. All the flavours worked so well together and were spicy without being full of heat! The service was attentive but some of the waiters should smile a little more! There was a large birthday group beside us with kids running around and making so much noise, but the staff worked around them admirably.

Being ultra critical, the restaurant was a little chilly and the bathroom positively Arctic.... but we enjoyed the evening immensely. We will certainly return when making arrangements to see our friends again.

3  Thank paripatetic