“Breakfast was good”

Ranked #110 of 316 Restaurants in Solihull
Price range: US$3 - US$17
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: The White Swan is an open plan property with front and rear gardens, with plenty of room to eat, drink and relax with friends and family.With a host of food and drink offers, we aim to provide friendly service in a calm and relaxed environment.
Edmonton, Canada
“Breakfast was good”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Went with my family for the day in Solihul and arrived very early and the White Swan was recommended to us as a good place for breakfast. We waited for it to open and were not disappointed with our meals although my daughter in law asked for scrambled eggs but what she received was sunny side up. The meal, price and service were all good and looking at the lunch menu we decided we would return for lunch as it was very near to where we were going to be. There were fewer vegetarian option for my daughter in law and granddaughters at lunch but they ordered pasta and I think the girls has the best meal of all of us as they gobbled it right up. My daughter in laws pasta was just okay and my son's pulled pork sandwich came with fries and onion rings which he said was good. I also has a pasta dish and was very disappointed with it. It was only warm when it came and some of the pasta had a hardened crust to it like it had been sitting in a dish for some time. The salmon fillet that I ordered with it came cut in small pieces and was also only warm although the plates were quite hot to touch. Both the salmon and pasta were very bland and tasteless. I realize that this is not normal pub fare but if it is on the menu it should have taste. Again though the service and price were very good.

• Visited July 2014
Familyman1313, Manager at The White Swan, responded to this review, 1 October 2014
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the pasta dish. Although I do thank you for your feedback. I hope you come back and try us again soon.

Solo Mio Birmingham - Bhx.
“Don't be put off by the outside drinkers.”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Solihull is blessed with two W/spoon pubs within a short distance of each other. The other one is "the poshest of the two" as it has no outside drinking area & so retains that refined look! As we were staying just down the road, The White Swan was the first one on our route to breakfast. So at 9.30 in the morning it was still serene & welcoming & provided us with good food to start he day with, especially the "healthy option" - porridge & honey for me & greek yogurt with fruit for my wife. Together with good service it was excellent value for money right in the centre of Solihull.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Wouldyouadamandeveit
Kira S, Manager at The White Swan, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you had a nice time. I hope the people at the front don't put people off. We have recently made it non-smoking and brightened the area up with flowers. This encourages people to dine here more and use the tables at the front.

We hope to see you again soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely, quiet Sunday breakfast”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Visited at 10.30am on Sunday, with my husband & children, aged 1 & 2, whilst my other child was at the cinema. Few other people in, but quiet & not too busy. Pub is clean & comfortable, well laid out. Spotlessly clean toilets are up a couple of flights of stairs, but there is a disabled loo on ground floor.

We were served immediately & our food came out quickly. Very happy with our choices - sausage cob, childs cooked breakfast & a large (huge!) cooked breakfast. Staff helpful when we asked for extra butter & a spare plate to share our food with the baby. Free coffee refills - which you help yourself to - excellent value.

We look forward to returning.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank MrsT1981
Kira S, Manager at The White Swan, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Hi

Thank you for your review for The White Swan, we are pleased that you had such a positive visit and hope to see you again in the future.

Kind Regards

Kira
Midlands
“This Place Never Learns!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Visited recently for a friends 40th and have to say, this place never learns from their mistakes, very poorly run pub. The whole Management here need sending on a Management Course because what they know about running a pub I could write on the back of a postage stamp, simply put they haven't a clue! I think they like the title of "Manager" but clearly do not understand what the role actually entails.

Walked in and as usual waited an eternity to get served even though the pub was relatively quiet. The lad that served me behind the bar, I had to repeat three times what I wanted to drink as he was was too busy watching the football on the tv! At one stage I was going to say "Look mate shall I serve myself and you come and watch the football as clearly you don't want to serve Customers" As per usual just exceptional bad manners from the Staff which seems to be par for the Course at this pub!

Two of Weatherspoons latest bright ideas at the pub:

1. You are not allowed to sit outside the front and smoke anymore, you now have to go and sit at the back of the pub in a dirty area where the seats are cracked, ashtrays never emptied facing a multi storey car park! Great Idea guys

2. When ordering a bottle of wine they now have to remove the top!!! Apparently it's Company policy!! So if you sit outside with your wine bottle, flies & wasps etc can get in the bottle. So folks bring your own wine stopper as apparently now Customers cannot be trusted to have the top on it!!! What bright spark thought up this idea? What an insult to Customers!!!

I have to say this pub is probably the worst ran pub I have ever been into in Solihull folks, my advice would be vote with your feet and use another pub. Other pubs in Solihull have polite Staff, Managers that actually "Manage" Bar Staff that want to serve you not watch the football and I'm sure all the other pubs would "trust" you with a bottle of wine to let you actually keep the top on it!!!!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank PAMK
Kira S, Manager at The White Swan, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hello,

Firstly I would like to apologise for the member of staff not letting you keep the cap on the wine. We do let people keep the caps for wine as, obviously, people like to take their time over the bottles they have.

With regards to the no smoking area at the front of the pub... We are lucky enough to have a designated smoking area, in our rear beer garden. The company as a whole are moving to have 50% of their outside areas 'no smoking'. We believe that as the windows and doors at the front are open all summer, it makes it a perfect place to have as no smoking. This is due to having no smoke coming into the pub, putting customers off their food and also, it creates a great first impression for families wishing to dine out in the sun.

I know that this has split opinion, but we believe that it is better for dining purposes if we have the rear garden as a smoking area and the front as a non smoking area.

If you have any further issues with the pub, please do not hesitate to contact the manager Brendan on 0121 7115180, where I am sure he will answer any questions you have. I do hope you will use us in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Poor pub”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Having been smitten once before by a wetherspoons pub,thought this one might be worth a try!.
What a big mistake,this was a sunday lunch time,pub not that busy but no better for this.
We ordered two sunday lunches they came off the heat,meat had no flavour this was the beef
only a small amount of roast potatoes and greens and a gravy boat.Why these meals are not
checked before leaving the kitchen is beyond me!.We had a pudding rhubarb and apple crumble
this was ok it came hot but custard was lumpy,and begining to curdle.One can only put this down
to bad management, i hasten to say we will not be eating here again.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank christopher A
Kira S, Manager at The White Swan, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your food on your recent visit to us.

Please could you contact the pub directly to discuss your comments? We rarely have complaints of this nature and I would personally like to rectify this if you would give me the chance.

Many thanks