“Lovely - but something left a nasty taste”
Review of Town House Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Town House Restaurant & Bar
Price range: US$61 - US$61
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Great food, fabulous service, nice wine. A fantastic evening, only to be left with a parking fine. And now I know - you need to give teh waitres your car reg if you park there.
I phoned up and the manager has revoked the fine. She was very apologetic.
I was fuming but she made me feel much happier - good customer service!

3  Thank SchnitzelSimon

Reviewed 29 March 2012

Booked on a Friday night for 6pm. Was a last minute booking on the day and kind lady on phone not only booked us in, she also asked whether would like to reserve a private booth (which we did), and after we enquired whether the fixed price menu was available at 6pm she agreed to allow us to choose of this menu even though they usually stop the fixed price menu at 3pm!

Parked in their ample car park, and walked into the bar around 5.45pm and we were asked to remain in bar area until the restaurant opens at 6pm, which was fine as we ordered drinks.

REMEMBER TO GIVE YOUR CAR REGISTRATION AT THE BAR! they have a video camera that takes your reg as you enter the restaurant, and you must enter it at the computer by the bar to avoid getting a £50 fine before you leave as this restaurant has a very central location by Solihull town centre.

We were seated in the restaurant by nice man in our reserved private booth - adds very nice private ambience so do ask to reserve a booth if you can!

For starters I had the baked pumpkin risotto and my partner had the cod fishcake with spinach. Both were presented beautifully and tasted absolutely brilliant. Favourite dish of the whole meal.

For mains I had the duo of pork belly and tenderloin and my partner had the chicken cassoulet. Both were cooked well. We felt we needed extra sides as they mains were not quite enough on their own and so ordered a portion of chips when the mains arrived, and these were quickly brought to the table. We requested mayonaisse and ketchup which were again brought promptly.

Desserts were the only area that let the food down slightly in our opinion. I had the dark chocolate brownie and my partner had the apple tart tatin. Both were slightly disappointing. I had expected the dark chocolate brownie to have tasted of more dark chocolate, which it sadly didnt. Also the brownie was not rich enough for my personal liking. The apple tart tatin was nice but again felt very light, and not to our personal liking.

The atmosphere on this Friday night was good - the bar was a lot busier than the restaurant section. We could speak and hear each other well, yet good level of background noise without overhearing everybody else's conversations.

Did have to wait a long time for the bill- ended up walking to the till! In hindsight should have asked for bill when desserts arrived to prevent long delay in catching waiter's eye.

Overall, we felt the price was very reasonable, service was friendly but could have been slightly more attentive, the Michelin recommended food was good, just let down slightly by the desserts.

We would visit again, but wouldn't go out of our way to come and we wouldn't go for a special occasion where I would expect service of a higher standard. Overall good restaurant.

1  Thank ballroo
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Have been to restaurant twice before, so purchased 2 groupon vouchers for my birthday and daughters birthday, problem with voucher - could only book mon to Friday ! Website would let us book on line! Arrived, bar empty do went straight to table, not told about parking, overcharged fo dessert when it was included on voucher ! Worst birthday meal ever.. 2 weeks later we now received parking fine £75 however they given a discount £50 and if we dont pay by 28th march they will add £40!!!! Not impressed at all. Will not be going there again no matter how much cleaning they have done whilst they have been shut for a few days. We were only in there 1 hr 35 mins and had to spend last 15 mins trying to ask for the bill as we wanted to go

2  Thank Pandyc
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We've been going to Townhouse for 3-4 years now haven't visited for sic months, this last visit very dissapointing from all aspect but most importantly later recieved a NO PARKING PAYMNET NOTICE for parking on their car park seeking a payment of £75
Not nice and not a nice place to visit

2  Thank Tims54
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Empty souless bar, no atmosphere, unfriendly and unhelpful staff, poor selection of badly kept beers.
Also, I have just recieved a parking "fine" of £75 ( i.e. invoice ) for exceeding the maximum stay ( we were in the bar for less than 1 hour as we could not wait to leave ) from a private parking company who apparently manage the Townhouse carpark. My friends and I visited the bar on a dark evening, we did not see any notices or signs that we would be charged for parking and nobody on the barstaff mentioned this and quite frankly as a paying bar customer I don't expect to be charged for parking and so I AM NOT PAYING THIS CHARGE, I will not be returning to Townhouse and I will be actively spreading the word amongst my friends and family that the place should be avoided. Absolute RIP OFF

3  Thank citizen_scriv