I recently had a need to visit Preston with an overnight stay, and rather than trek down to the Docks I opted for this recently opened Hotel, as I felt the rate was good value considering its location, just a short walk from the main railway station.
The receptionist was friendly and efficient, and quickly found my reservation, even though I had booked through an independent site rather than the Hotel's own.
This particular Hotel uses a contactless smartcard key system, similar to the "Oystercard" in London, but the receiver on the door lock isn't immediately obvious (for reference, it's on the top, above the handle) so it did take me a few seconds to gain entry to my room. Unfortunately, the secondary lock (lockable from the inside) wouldn't turn, but that's only a minor niggle.
The rooms feature a personal safe, which sports both a keypad to set a 4 digit PIN *and* a magnetic card reader as an alternative. When I arrived, I found the safe to be locked, but use of suitable search terms soon found the default override code so I was able to make use of the safe during my stay.
As others have mentioned, the rooms feature a flat panel TV with a number of Freeview channels available.
Unlike some "budget" Hotels, the bathroom actually contains a bath, and even at 6'5 (196cm if you prefer metric), I managed to stretch out and relax in it nicely. My one gripe being that the shower hose had been fed behind the taps, so I was unable to access the entire length of the bath with it. (I prefer washing my hair kneeling over the tub.)
Unusually, heating in the room came from a conventional radiator, with the window opening to allow air in. Given the location of the Hotel (i.e. next to a main road) this may prove to be a problem in the Summer due to traffic noise with the window open.
A Full English Buffet breakfast is served in the basement of the Hotel, and is of a reasonably high standard. There are two minor niggles I experienced, however:
Firstly, they have a "conveyor" toaster. Okay, you can do something silly like 300 slices of toast an hour with one of those, but they: a) cost a fortune to run, as the elements are on constantly; b) seem to have two settings...warm bread, or charcoal; and c) in the unlikely event of finding the "perfect" setting, that same setting the next day will result in either warm bread or charcoal. As a result of these "features", most chains (including the budget ones) seem to have switched to using the more "traditional" slot loading toasters.
On a related note, whilst having butter served in a little dish at your table is a nice touch, providing a couple of "shards" of butter that will just about cover two slices of toast at a push is not so nice. Again, most chains tend to provide individual "pots" of butter and margarine.
Minor niggles aside, the Legacy is a very good Hotel, and I would certainly stay there again were I in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Legacy Preston International Hotel. This hotel is ideally located close to the ring road, and within easy reach of the M6 Motorway, making it an ideal accommodation base for both business and leisure. The Legacy Preston International Hotel offers guests the following up to date facilities: 75 contemporary-style bedrooms, disabled-friendly bedrooms available on request, all rooms fitted with iron & ironing board & 'in-room' safes, guest lift to all floors, flat-screen satellite televisions with remote control, FREE Wi-Fi available throughout the hotel, meeting rooms - 3, 24-hour Reception with secure door entry between 11.00pm & 7.00am, Cafe Bar Menu served DAILY 10.00am until 10.00pm, Extensive Lounge Menu, Licensed Bar, FREE Car Parking for 40 cars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, LateRooms, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Legacy Preston International reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Legacy Preston International Hotel Preston
- Legacy Hotel Preston
- Legacy Preston International Lancashire