“Fab Afternoon Tea” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Walled Garden Bistro Restaurant

The Walled Garden Bistro Restaurant
Ranked #41 of 525 Restaurants in Preston
Price range: US$10 - US$26
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Blackburn Lancs
“Fab Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

My hubby was given a voucher for Afternoon Tea as a father's day treat. We went yesterday and really enjoyed it. The staff were lovely and service excellent. The Walled Garden is a lovely place and you can sit out if you wish. We enjoyed a glass of Proseco and this was followed by a beautiful picnic bench filled with savoury and sweet goodies. We enjoyed everything and also had a pot of tea. We were asked if we wanted a re-fill. Excellent value for money on the voucher we had and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Afternoon Tea.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CharlotteWGBarton, Manager at The Walled Garden Bistro Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I am so glad you enjoyed our afternoon tea offering and experienced excellent service. We serve afternoon tea all year round so do give us a call if you would like to treat yourself again.

Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Average Afternoon Tea. ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We booked afternoon tea as a treat for my mother in law and we were hoping to sit in a beautiful floral garden. Instead we were seated inside in a quite dark area. To be fair although the sun was shining it probably wasn't warm enough for the older members of our party. From what we could see outside it was an expanse of lawn, no colour to be seen. Not what thename conjours up, especially as I know how nice the restaurant and cafe are at the garden centre down the road.
Afternoon teas we have had before at other venues in the area have filled us up without the need for another meal but I'm afraid this was quite sparse.the salmon roll was dry, nice egg sandwich, tasty morsel of warm duck and chicken on ciabatta. Wish there had been a bit more! Nice little meringue, a chocolate slice, the fruit scone was good. The other dessert was a glass of fruit which we thought would be a jelly or a mousse but it was just like eating jam. (No it wasn't the jam for the scone!) We had a glass of prosecco but then had to ask for the tea, no one came to offer it to us or ask if everything was satisfactory. The waiter didn't know what teas were on offer. No excuse that it was his first day, should have received the most basic of training. Sadly disappointing. Didn't make a fuss as mother in law just recovering from an op and wanted a nice day out for her. Will not be recommending. Got the feeling this hotel is past its prime.

Thank you for your comments and feedback, we do take everything on board to ensure we improve and develop. I am glad you did find elements of the afternoon tea tasty and enjoyable but I will make sure I discuss with chef the other items that can be improved. The jelly dessert definitely didn’t work in the heat, maybe when the typical British weather returns it will be a better idea. If you would like to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact me on 01772 867057.

West Kirby, United Kingdom
“Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Excellent Breakfast with something for everyone on the menu or the buffet table, lovely outlook to the gardens

Visited June 2014
CharlotteWGBarton, Manager at The Walled Garden Bistro Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
We like to ensure our guests get the best start to their day so I am so pleased our breakfast hit the spot! Thank you for your review, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

The food here is excellent. We had three courses and enjoyed every one of them. The food is well presented and is the chef quite clearly passionate about what he or she does. The fact that it only costs £15 for the three course set menu (not on Fridays or Saturdays, I don't think) means it is exceptional value; I think the main courses alone are worth that. We had chicken and bacon chop and both were excellent - well presented and well prepared. The portion size is big enough that you don't feel hungry but not too much that you feel overstuffed.

The staff are lovely. The atmosphere is casual but you wouldn't feel uncomfortable dressing up if it is a special occasion. The drinks are expensive, but about average for a hotel, which is what this is.

There is outside dining, inside dining and a conservatory, which is lovely.

Definitely recommended.

Visited June 2014
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your ‘Barton Grange Experience’. The Bistro menu changes regularly so hopefully you will have the chance to try some of the others dishes on the menu. We really do appreciate all feedback and I will ensure it is passed on to everyone. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Preston, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

In the past I have always enjoyed eating at the Walled Garden but this week I went there for afternoon tea and came away feeling disappointed. True, it was a very warm day, but surely that was no excuse for the finger sandwich to be dry, as though it had been left out unwrapped. The mini tartlet filled with a shepherd's pie filling was novel and very tasty.
The biggest disappointment of all was the stale tasting scone. Surely freshly baked scones are not too much to ask of an establishment like the Walled Garden. We sat down to eat at 3 o'clock, which I think is the earliest time for afternoon tea, so it wasn't as though the food needed to have been hanging around for hours.
So many places offer afternoon tea nowadays. Most of the ones that I've been to do it better than The Walled Garden, which is a real shame as the setting is lovely.
I didn't make my feeling known to the management. I had been taken there as a guest by a friend and didn't want to embarrass them. No one serving that day bothered to ask if everything had been ok.
Please, Walled Garden, don't let your standards slip. You are capable of so much better.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 3Foodfans
CharlotteWGBarton, Manager at The Walled Garden Bistro Restaurant, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your review, I am truly sorry that your experience wasn't up the standards that you expected or that we pride ourselves on. We do ensure all the components of the afternoon tea are made fresh and that the scones are baked each day so I will get to the bottom of why yours weren't perfect. Nothing beats a good cup of tea and a scone! We are trying something different with the ‘hot tasty’ element of the afternoon tea so I am pleased you enjoyed the mini cottage pie. I really do appreciate you did not want to discuss your disappointment on the day of your visit but if you would like to call me to chat about your feedback further my direct line is 01772 867057.

I look forward to hearing from you.