Preston Marriott Hotel
Priceline
US$133
US$130
Hotels.com
The Park Hotel(Preston)(Great Value!)
US$53
US$101
US$78
Hotels.com
US$86
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn Preston Central Hotel(Preston)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Travelocity
1,078 results
All reviewsleisure clubleisure centretwo double bedssteam roomlounge barchanging roomsnice groundsfour star hotellovely hotelreception staffevening mealpublic areasbuffet breakfastlake districtplenty of parkingstayed here for one nightfollowing morning
Reviewed 27 January 2008

Stayed at this hotel midweek for 5 nights on a business trip. The hotel is a 20 minute taxi ride from the station in the Broughton area of Preston, and whilst this is a long way from the station it was extremely convenient for us as it was minutes from where we had business.

I arrived Sunday night and was given a room in the original block close to reception, whilst colleagues were in the newer block. The room was small, double bed, and had what one would expect from a modern hotel.

Ate a couple of times at the hotel and the first time the room service took so long they offered me a free platter of fruit. The food was boring, bland and very expensive for what you got and it is just as well that Preston, surprisingly had an array of good restaraunts.

Whilst I had no problems in my room, my colleagues had daily problems with room keys that didn't work and water that was mostly cold. They would definetly not stay there again. The Wi Fi was also pricey as was the internet connection. Overall I expected more from a Marriott.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank RocknRollStar
Reviewed 18 January 2008

I stayed here for 5 nights for business with a colleague. It is a lovely stately home with part of the rooms in the old house and some of the rooms in the extra buildings. If you do have a room in the main building you have higher ceilings which looked lovely. Both the bedroom and the bathrooom was modernly decorated and were cleaned and tiedied daily.

The dinner is nice, but quite expensive and there are several good restaurants around. Try to find the Italian Orchard, an Italian restaurant with gorgeous food and reasonable prices.

I stayed above the bar area and had a late night due to music from the bar keeping me awake. The hotel staff was lovely and were helpfull to try to find out where the noise came from and gave me some earplugs. Only the day after did I realise the music came from the bar.

All in all a lovely hotel and easy to reach from the M6, exit 31, if I remember correctly.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2008

Last night checked in about 6.30 so not terribly late. My room key was in a ready prepared envelope so interaction with the receptionist was minimal and she didn't offer me a newspaper, a wake up call, offer assistance with my bags or explain about the facilities - all of which are questioned in their feedback survey (more of which later). She did point me at the corridor for my room but she did not mention that my mini bar would not be stocked or that the room would be so poorly cleaned that the rolled up worn sock of a previous resident was on the floor under the table. Good standard of hoovering then...
Later on I tried to ring room service (using the At Your Service button) which I think is actually the charmless Receptionist again. The first time it rang 20 times until it eventually disconnected or timed out. The second time it rang for a long time, was taken off the hook and they hung up without speaking. The third time I finally got a reply and the food did arrive in less than 45 minutes. No ice in the diet coke translated to "with ice". The meatballs (with rigatoni) were brown on the outside but bright pink on the inside and looked so much like an invitation to food poisoning that I took a photograph on my phone as evidence in case I was too weakened by nausea and vomiting to speak to the duty doctor. To be fair they did call me later on to ask if everything was alright with my meal (perhaps they saw from the returned tray all these sad halves of meatball staring up at them). I told them I didn't eat bright pink meat when the outsides were obviously cooked and brown.
They told me it was just the meat used and they were cooked properly.
So to the Customer Feedback form lovingly propped on my pillow. The envelope for my form was sealed and upon opening it I discovered the name address and telephone number of the previous (or A previous) resident along with his opinions of the hotel and its services (which were better than mine). Dabbled with the idea of calling him up and offering to return his rancid sock or pretending to be the hotel to tell him he had no taste and to never darken its towels again.
Thankfully food poisoning doesn't seem to have struck and so far they haven't asked why I want to leave a day early to stay at the nearby Barton Grange instead.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank biliousfogg
Reviewed 30 November 2007

Ghastly ... made Fawlty Towers look 5 star. Bedroom adequate but at the front of the Hotel and all the non-smokers outside with wafting smoke. Restaurants a nightmare and very very expensive.Service vile - surly waitresses and well forget service. £14.95p for breakfast a rip off. Generally run down - decor drab - carpets from the 60's. Problems with bathroom reported but not sorted through out stay. Staff just awful. This is not anywhere near 4* more like a Bradford B & B. Avoid, Avoid is my recommendation. Dead flowers on the landing yuk and a dodgy Bannister not well secured. The conference room was second rate and the chairs just awful. Advice avoid, avoid! Costs a minimum of £10.00 taxiride from the station and its via horrendous road works.At £110 per night just for a room well.....................................

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank thomas90
Reviewed 16 November 2007

For my sins I've been staying at this hotel now for just going on a year (3/4 nights per week, total 180 nights so far) so thought I'd give another update on the hotel after my previous review. I stay for business in the local area and still haven't found an alternative hotel that I'd prefer to stay at locally.

The location, next to the motorway and yet in lovely quiet grounds is the main attraction for me as I can get to Preston, Blackpool, Manchester or the Lake District very easily.

The hotel has recently spent some £1.4 million upgrading its rooms, which works out at about £10k/room. This has resulted in all the rooms having new carpets, wallpaper, bedding covers and new chairs / tables in the suites (and in some of the rooms). The new look is more modern and means, that for the moment, all of the bedrooms look and feel very new. The bathrooms haven't been touched but always felt quite up-to-date anyway.

The typical rooms in the hotel vary in size and shape, but tend to have 3 main types, large rooms with 2 double beds, slightly smaller rooms with a king sized bed and then the junior suites which are larger than the other rooms but have a king bed and an additional 1/2 chairs and a table. All the rooms tend to be quite similar in style and shape with nothing to particularly recommend one above any other. Some of the more unique rooms and suites, a left-over from when the hotel was a manor house I suspect, are 228-310.

If you want a view then none of the ground floor rooms are any use - they almost all look out on car parks (with trees) or the rest of the hotel. The 'best' rooms, apart from the largest named suites, are those on the second floor, 350-370, which are junior suites and due to their height tend to have a nice view of the surrounding countryside/grounds.

The room service menu was also revamped in the past few months, it now has a much wider selection and I'd say, as far as room service goes, it offers reasonable value for money - especially if you choose one of the combo platters. The service charge, at £3.50, is probably a pound too much but the staff are polite enough. Eating in the restaurant is also a nice experience - though those on a "Dinner" room rate should be warned that "Dinner" means £23.50 towards the cost of your food - in the hotel's menu this means a fixed price menu but if you want to go a-la-carte expect to pay a few pounds more (+ drinks). The hotel bar however is pretty good value, both drinks and food are priced at reasonable levels for a hotel (~£3 for a pint, £4.50 for a large glass of wine and £3.50 for a pint bottle of magners), food is the same as the room service menu but without the service charge. The atmosphere here is also pleasant and it tends to bustle during the week with business people.

On the staff front, reception staff, I'm mostly very impressed with - there are some better than others but on the whole they tend to be polite, efficient and happy to help. Bar staff and waitresses in the restaurant are also polite and helpful. I'd say that compared to a lot of hotel staff in the area these are the best - they seem to "go the extra mile" more frequently and with less (no) encouragement. The night staff are not so impressive and if you want any issue solving do it before 9pm as after then it is unlikely to be resolved, and potentially likely to be ignored.

The final nice extra the hotel has is a really good quality gym, and a nice (if small) pool. I don't use these very frequently, but the equipment is of a high quality and the opening hours, 6am-11pm during the week, are very generous. It is also close to a very nice dining room, Burlingtons, that is definitely the best place to eat within walking distance and has a great fixed price menu for about £10 + drinks which is also really high quality food.

So, the negatives - these are primarily of concern if you stay in a lot of Marriott hotels so you're a member of the Marriott Rewards scheme. If you are just looking for a one-off stay to be near Blackpool or Preston I don't think there is a better alternative hotel that I would recommend as long as you have a car. For Marriott Reward members, those who are used to Marriott executive lounges will be disappointed at the lack of such a service at the hotel. As a platinum member of the Marriott rewards scheme you appear to benefit from an unpublicised free breakfast (full English or continental), but it isn't that much compensation. The hotel is also appalling at crediting reward points. It did get better at a time after complaints to the top of Marriott, but now it is back down to points being credited one stay in 6 or so.

PS: It won't be relevant to most people but regular guests of the hotel/platinum members tend to get additional extras as well above a platinum welcome gift, on check in. This consists of a nice fruit bowl, free mineral water, small chocolates and 4 very nice Belgium chocolates. If you have over 100 nights on your account that year you can also expect a complementary robe and slippers during your stay no matter which room type you're in.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business